model power switcher?

don

Hello all,i am considering purchasing a Model Power 040 steam switcher to use on my USA style inglenook.

What i want to know of course is the size is just right as is the price! but would it be usable?can it be fitted with KD's?

If anyone has any experiance of this little loco then i would appreciate your views.

Don.

The current version comes with knuckle couplers, presumably there is a way to swap them for genuine Kadees. I have no experience with the current iteration of the 0-4-0, but remember that it has a very short wheelbase and long overhangs, so it will likely wobble and pickup may be an issue. The very similar 0-4-0 tank (quite ancient) I used to have was effectively useless on anything other than plain track.

Adrian

My gut instinct is to avoid anything made by Model Power.

Depends on the actual item. The Model Power N-scale steam locos are pretty good (made by Ajin in Korea). The original iteration of the HO 0-4-0 was, I think, equipped with a ringfield motor in the cab (although the one I remember may have been some other manufacturer's interpretation of an 0-4-0).and was quite dire.

I do think you would find the 0-4-0 disappointing as a shunter.

Edit. I believe the Model Power switcher started life as the Lima switcher.

Adrian

Depends on the actual item. The Model Power N-scale steam locos are pretty good (made by Ajin in Korea).

Adrian

Actually, they are incredibly inconsistent. The detail is nice and some run very well, but there is no consistency as to which run well and which don't which makes actually buying one a somewhat hazardous proposition. I won't even get into the nightmare of fully fitting DCC to these either.

The current version comes with knuckle couplers, presumably there is a way to swap them for genuine Kadees. I have no experience with the current iteration of the 0-4-0, but remember that it has a very short wheelbase and long overhangs, so it will likely wobble and pickup may be an issue. The very similar 0-4-0 tank (quite ancient) I used to have was effectively useless on anything other than plain track.

Adrian

I have the same wobble/pickup problem with an 0-6-0 Bachmann Dock shunter saddle tank that i quite like, it is a modern one with built in DCC and all, but the wheelbase is so short that it just hates my track (full disclosure,this may have more to do with my trackwork skills 10 years ago when i built the shelf layout than the loco), but small locos like that can be frustration.

If you are intent on something really tiny, maybe consider diesel instead and look at one of the Athearn GM Critters, same problem with the small wheelbase, but less overhang and I've heard reasonably good things about their quality and running.

Stephen

I had one, or similar, back in the 70's, & like all short wheelbase 0-4-0's it was a bit temperamental - a better solution would be getting an 0-6-0/0-8-0 switcher, 2nd user.

Diesels are a much better proposition, better pick up & performance when slow running, look for a GE 44 or GE 70, both around about 4" long. :)

Thank you all for your replies which probably confirmed what i was already thinking!!!

The layout is a 4x1 Inglenook which sits on the top of my sideboard and was realy just to have a small steam engine instead of a diesel for a change.

I have a GE70 Tonner and a variety of Geeps which of course all run faultlessly.

The layout started off as being a UK Inglenook but got sidelined due the poor running of british locos,but strangley my Underground Ernie no1 was the test loco and was flawless!! also my Bachman Prarie ran superbly but was just a bit to long.So back to my main interest US outline,no running problems.

Thank you all again for taking the trouble to reply.

regards

Don.

Pick-up needs to be from the tender as well.....plus some extra weight.

If the loco & tender  can be obtained cheaply enough, why not consider radio control [perhaps needing a re-motor?], with the gubbins hidden in the tender, including re-chargeable battery.....then the issue of pickup [and associated running quality?] are eliminated?

Pick-up needs to be from the tender as well.....plus some extra weight.

If the loco & tender  can be obtained cheaply enough, why not consider radio control [perhaps needing a re-motor?], with the gubbins hidden in the tender, including re-chargeable battery.....then the issue of pickup [and associated running quality?] are eliminated?

Pickup issues would be eliminated. Running quality maybe not - it is still a short wheelbase 0-4-0 with a lot of weight cantilevered out at the ends with a fairly unsophisticated drive and wheels.

Adrian

I had an IHC/Mehano 0-4-0 once; it soon got taken back to the model shop from whence it came!! No surprise if the Model Power one is similar, although I did once buy the Model Power 0-4-0 Diesel 'critter' for a friend's kid, & that didn't run too bad at all for a £10 (circa 1999/2000) loco.

One thing about all the US outline steam locos I've ever had in N or HO - none of them came fitted with a working front coupler!!

Archived