Bishopdale - 1960's British Midland Steam

AireValley1962

Bishopdale (aka the Pennine Project), has been affixed to its wall at operating height.  I have used steel brackets screwed to the wall, with the layout located on top.  Some cassettes are also being used to run the trains from one end to the other.  Pictures will be in the next post!  

I have also done another video of some movements along the branch which I am uploading to YouTube:

I hope to post more regularly here and show how the layout is coming along in the future.

Cheers,

William

Edited by AireValley1962
house cleaning

• RMweb Gold

Hi William,

Nice to see you back posting and I like the video. I have to admit I particularly like the end title shot with the back of the guards van dissapearing off stage behind the signal box. I'd be keen to see some more photos, including maybe a wider shot of the whole layout now that the scenery is all down.

Kind regards, Neil

Thanks very much for your encouraging comments, Neil. :)

I'd be keen to see some more photos, including maybe a wider shot of the whole layout now that the scenery is all down.

That I will do - an overall shot is something I hadn't thought about before.

Cheers,

William

• Like 1

Well, here are some photos showing the layout in its small, but complete, entirety.  In the first photo it can be seen how I attach the layout to the wall using steel brackets - I used to have a shelf on top, but it made the layout too dark.  Until I stumbled upon something on RM Web which I will post about later.  The second photo shows my temporary cassette set-up, and the third shows the main corner that needs completion - bridge painting, backscene fixing, etc..

post-24642-0-63357200-1427889664_thumb.jpg

post-24642-0-28411900-1427889693_thumb.jpg

post-24642-0-83124100-1427889787_thumb.jpg

This next photo shows my very 'ingenious' stock storage under the layout  :D, and the final one my home made uncoupler, which I will detail in a later post.

post-24642-0-12282600-1427889690_thumb.jpg

post-24642-0-13836400-1427889673_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

William

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well, here are some photos showing the layout in its small, but complete, entirety. 

Thank you William, that's exactly what I was hoping to see! I've actually already bought exactly the same type (single slot) brackets to mount DE on the wall. But seeing the way that you have the fascia really making a piece of art out of the layout has inspired me. I've got a long way to go on the scenery first, but now I know what it is that I want it to look like when it's on the wall, and confirmed my spontaneous purchase of the brackets when I was last in Wickes was the right one!

Thanks again for showing it.

Kind regards, Neil

. . . seeing the way that you have the fascia really making a piece of art out of the layout has inspired me . . .

That's exactly how I was hoping to present the layout - even if I am not running it, I wanted it to be like a 3D artwork that can admired statically.

Thanks again,

William

Hi William,

As you can see from the numerous "Likes, etc" I've just caught up with your fine thread.  Lovely work and great attention to detail - exhibition standard.  Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi William,

As you can see from the numerous "Likes, etc" I've just caught up with your fine thread.  Lovely work and great attention to detail - exhibition standard.  Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Brian.

Thanks very much, Brian.  I enjoy adding things to the layout to make just that little bit more realistic.

I've also been quietly following your Hawthorn Mk2 thread as well, so the encouraging feelings are mutual. :)

Thanks again,

William

A slight change of plans:  I may take out the bridge at the right hand end, and replace it with a water tower as a scenic break on the viewing side, and lots of bushes and undergrowth on the other.  I have been thinking of using the Hornby Skale Regis Great Northern Water Tower.  I made a paper mock-up of the size, and placed it where it might go - what do readers think?

post-24642-0-64992300-1428161730_thumb.jpg

post-24642-0-05358200-1428161476_thumb.jpg

post-24642-0-20577400-1428161481_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Just received a very nice copy of "The Long Drag" documentary film in the post today.  Put it in the player to 'test' it - and I know why I love the good old S&C . . .

My model comes nowhere near the real thing, but I really enjoy having a little piece of 1960's S&C in my home.

~ William

Edited by AireValley1962

Well, today is going to be fun.  

My fiddle yard gave up the ghost on Bishopdale, the locomotives keep stalling, and it looks altogether un-cared for.  Cassettes just don't seem to work properly for me on the main line, though I will still use two on the engine facilities siding.  So today I am rebuilding a proper fiddle yard(see track plan below), cleaning the track, doing some maintenance on the locos, and dusting and brightening up the layout.  I shall post some pictures when I have completed the work, and made Bishopdale look presentable again.

Cheers,

William

post-24642-0-43064400-1428677512_thumb.jpg

Just got my Hornby 0F working again - pictures to follow.

The new fiddle yards have also been built, but one of them is waiting for that point which I know I've got somewhere . . . .

Anyway, hopefully there will be more updates and pictures coming soon. :sungum:

Cheers,

William

Here are the promised pictures of the rebuilt fiddle yards:

THE RIGHT HAND FIDDLE YARD:

post-24642-0-28719600-1429198596_thumb.jpg

post-24642-0-72144400-1429198599_thumb.jpg

THE LEFT HAND FIDDLE YARD:

post-24642-0-69654700-1429198602_thumb.jpg

post-24642-0-68245200-1429198606_thumb.jpg

THE OVERALL VIEW:

post-24642-0-10624000-1429198609_thumb.jpg

The edges on the fiddle yards just need some black paint to finish them off, so I'm disappearing now to do that.  I have just been taking some more videos of the layout as well, so those will come soon.

Cheers,

William

• Like 3

The link given when you upload is your personal link.  You need to run the video on Youtube then copy that link into posts as I have done here.

Ah, thanks very much, Mick.  It had worked one time earlier for me - but I couldn't remember what i had done!  :no:

Hello William. Followed your link from the Lounge. An impressive piece of modelling that certainly puts others to shame (myself included).

It's certainly interesting to see the progression from diorama to layout.

Hello William. Followed your link from the Lounge. An impressive piece of modelling that certainly puts others to shame (myself included).

It's certainly interesting to see the progression from diorama to layout.

Thanks Duncan.  I have been working on it for about 18 months now, and I keep seeing things on this forum that help me model better.  I appreciate your encouragement.

Cheers,

William

• Like 1