Bishopdale - 1960's British Midland Steam

AireValley1962

William,

Lovely little layout. Well done. The distant arm on your signal should be yellow with a black chevron, not yellow and white. The reverse is a white background, with a black vertical band for the home, and a black chevron on the distant.

Regards,

Ian

William,

Lovely little layout. Well done. The distant arm on your signal should be yellow with a black chevron, not yellow and white. The reverse is a white background, with a black vertical band for the home, and a black chevron on the distant.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks, Ian.  I hadn't known what the backs of the signals should look like, but I did forget about painting the black chevron for the distant, as I dislike painting very much. 

So thanks for the info and the encouraging words.

~ W.

Two new pictures; first, the tail end of a pick-up goods, and then the control panel, which is still being worked on.  The two push-to-make switches at the bottom of the panel are going to control the fiddle-yard point, and the on-off switch to the right of them will control the lights.  The SP-ST (single-pole, single-throw) switch by the mimic diagram selects which track (main or siding) is live.

post-24642-0-49142200-1429820182_thumb.jpg

post-24642-0-76013500-1429820184_thumb.jpg

Edited by AireValley1962
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, things have been rather quiet over here for two reasons.  One, Spring has finally come to Canada, so there has been lots of outdoor work needing done, and two, I've been considering an era and location change for Bishopdale.  Much as I love my Jinty and maroon coaches, the Southern bug has bitten me!

Shall I keep Bishopdale in the LMR guise or change it to a Southern electrified suburban branch?  That's the question right now.  I could repaint the signal box with Southern green, replace the signals for SR equivalents, install a third rail . . . . but then how to make it look not so far out in the country?  Thinking, thinking . . . .

• Like 1

Well, I just purchased one of the lovely Bachmann Cl 419 MLV's on sale - yes, even though Bishopdale is set in the Pennines.  I have an idea for combining my love of LMR and SR(BR) on the same layout.  One half will be unquestionably S&C inspired, while the other half will merge into a Southern inspired scene.  I have been drawing up a plan in Anyrail, and will post it as soon as it's done.  Some might think this too far fetched, but I refer to the rule that says I may run what I like, and in so doing, I try to be as 'correct' as possible. :)

• Like 2

Thoughts, gentlemen?

The 3F "Jinty" can play at being in the Pennines on the left, while my Class 419 MLV can be stabled somewhere in Kent on the right.  Pictures of both ends will work fine, and now I almost have two layouts in one! :sungum:   (Still figuring this out, however . . . .)  :scratchhead:

post-24642-0-02893700-1431369388_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Will,

Looking great! Its a shame it isnt bigger though :D

The scenery looks extremely realistic, and is definitely proof of your amazing modelling skills!

I can't wait to see more happening and more operational videos, and possibly an extension :senile:

Peter

Thanks very much, Peter.  I don't have much space at the moment, so this is as big as it will be for a while. Oh well.

I have learned a lot from reading some of the magazines out there, and copying others techniques.  I will post some more videos soon.

Cheers,

William

P. S. I sent you a PM with pictures of the Hornby 0F. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi William,

What a superb little layout. Really well thought out, detailed and simple but very effective. Well done and keep up the great work!

Looking forward to seeing the rebuilding, especially the new brick overbridge. Are you using the Wills one?

Kindest regards,

Chris

Looking forward to seeing the rebuilding, especially the new brick overbridge. Are you using the Wills one?

Thanks, Chris!  I am actually scratchbuilding the bridge out of Peco girders with Wills brick sheet - as I had lain the track first I needed to build a bespoke bridge to fit the space.

You're welcome, William.

Ah righto, good to hear about your scratch built bridge and I look forward to seeing the finished structure. Best of luck with this! :D

Is this to replace the tunnel entrance on your micro layout?

Chris

Now can be seen the rebuilding of my layout - most of the scenery has stayed in place, but the trackwork is what has changed.  

Another embankment is also planned to be built right in front of the camera viewpoint.  I also am planning on shortening the

siding at the front; I have a plan which I will upload soon.

post-24642-0-47409500-1438784101_thumb.jpg

E6010 takes a short train through London Junction.

• 4 weeks later...

(Yes, pics are coming . . . soon-ish . . .)

But in other news, all ballasting has been completed, almost all 'grassing' has been finished, and work is beginning on installation of the third rail.  In addition to that, the only big thing left to do is build a three-track over-bridge and place some cars on the top.  Then it will be presentable.

Now it is time to play trains go to bed.

• Like 1

Based mainly upon the fact that my layout has had a rebuild, I have decided to change the name.  And since I like LMR and SR(BR) I have imaginatively sited my model just to the west of London, England.  So, the new name being proposed is LONDON JUNCTION.  Now, anyone care to share thoughts? 

Hello William,

Obviously your layout can be called whatever you want it to be, but (to me) London Junction just doesn't ring true. Sounds too "toylike".

There were lots of London Road Junctions around, especially on the Midland Railway - I gave that name to a junction on one of my layouts.

If you want London in the name, what about:

London Street Junction

Though that has a more urban feel to your layout's location.

Regards,

Peter

• Like 1

Obviously your layout can be called whatever you want it to be, but (to me) London Junction just doesn't ring true. Sounds too "toylike".

There were lots of London Road Junctions around, especially on the Midland Railway - I gave that name to a junction on one of my layouts.

If you want London in the name, what about: London Street Junction - though that has a more urban feel to your layout's location.

Thanks for the thoughts, Peter.  I generally toss around about twenty different names before deciding on one - which gets changed the next day.  London St. Junc. does indeed sound like a more urban area, and I have not yet decided whether my layout will remain in the Pennines or not.  So the name is still open, I suppose. . . . .  :scratchhead:

• 1 month later...

And I'm back but only going to spend limited time on here - that way I might get some modelling done!

I am sticking with BR(LMR) since I got my Hornby 4F 0-6-0 working very well again. But a beautiful nice looking Class 73 might pass through once in a while.  Just have an over bridge to build, then it's done.  Photos to come . . .

• Like 2