Benson Arkansas

Broadoak

I remember this was a popular model when LifeLike released it. Seems to be popular with preservationists too; about 10% of the 59 built are extant today.

The original LifeLike models had an issue with the plastic gear breaking if I remember correctly. Nevertheless, models they issued during this period were a real improvement over their regular range of inexpensive but poor-running locomotives and proved that qualify could trump perception.

Mike

Thanks Mal for your comments about the pictures, I have only recently got a reasonable quality camera, a Canon SX160IS. It was on offer at half price.
I like to do low down shots because these make the models look more realistic, although the helicopter shots probably give more visual information.

Mike,
the workings of the BL2 model look very much like Athearn to me.
I seem to remember the model breaking some sort of endurance record when it first came out.
It is odd you mention problems with the gears mine has always been fine until a few days ago when it became a bit noisy, I will have to investigate.

Regards Peter M

Hi Mike,

It seems the gear axle problem has caught up with me. I have removed the body from the BL2 and found that one end, the front was binding at times and making a loud clonking noise. I disconnected the drive shaft to this end and it ran slightly quieter, after running for a few minutes the other end is now clonking.

I have somewhere in the loft a box of odds and ends from some old blue box Athearns so I will try to find them and exchange them for the Lifelike bits, should work I think.

The hardest part will be finding the right box with the bits.

I must say that in over twenty years and a fleet of over fifty locos this is the first problem I've ever had, so I should not complain really.

Peter M

• Like 1

I have had the split gear problem on a couple of engines that I bought as new old stock. They hadn't turned a wheel, the gears were split when I took them out of the box. Besides Athearn, A-Line makes replacement gears which is what I bought when I came upon them by chance at a hobbyshop in Palmer, MA.

There are a lot of BL2s in preservation relative to the number built, in some part due to the longevity of the engines on Bangor and Aroostook.

The BL2 wasn't especially lightly built, really it was an F3 with a different carbody. Some of them (e.g., the Boston and Maine engines) didn't have mu equipment but that was more to do with the intended use of the engines. The 5 B&M engines were equipped with steam generators for passenger service. While the BAR engines were bought to replace steam on branchlines, in later years they were used pretty indiscriminately in multiple with the rest of the road's first generation diesels.

The BAR repainted one of the BL2s in the original paint scheme, I was fortunate enough to catch it at Northern Maine Jct outside Bangor before they added the name "American Railfan" which somewhat spoiled the effect.

post-277-0-29844200-1419178514.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the information relating to the BL2 Highpeak.

I read somewhere they were unsuited to working in multiple but it probably only related to the Rock Island ones that all ended up in suburban service, painted in solid maroon.

I think B&A #557 looks very pretty.

Regards Peter M

There's a lot of misconceptions about the BL1/2 engines, some of them apparently coming from EMD themselves, relating to mu equipment, controls and so on. For a small group of engines they have a lot of history. They always remind me of a doleful looking hound dog for some reason.

I checked the A Line web site http://www.ppw-aline.com/ and it says they won't ship outside the USA, which is a shame because they make some useful stuff. I like their thin lead sheet for adding weight to gondolas or 16T mineral wagons where it can be hard to get any weight if you are running them empty. They also do some useful small chain. And of course all the repowering/spares.

NorthWest Short Line also does replacement gears but they are quite expensive. I'd look at raiding old blue box engines first.

I checked the A Line web site http://www.ppw-aline.com/ and it says they won't ship outside the USA, which is a shame because they make some useful stuff. I like their thin lead sheet for adding weight to gondolas or 16T mineral wagons where it can be hard to get any weight if you are running them empty. They also do some useful small chain. And of course all the repowering/spares.

NorthWest Short Line also does replacement gears but they are quite expensive. I'd look at raiding old blue box engines first.

The A Line site re-directs you to Walthers who stock a range of their products.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/manuinfo/116/A_Line_Product.html

Including replacement gears.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/116-40005

I like the unorthodox look of the BL1/2 and the RI or BAR liveries are much more exciting than the black of my favoured Western Maryland.

Edited by ceejaydee

I am pleased to report the Rock Island Bl2 is running once more following a visit to my bench.
I changed the complete trucks with some Athearn one I had in stock they fitted perfectly, in fact they have the more accurate Blomberg truck side frames. I believe the original LifeLike ones were wrong.
I have had to use the Lifelike drive shafts and end mechanisms to hold the trucks in place. It runs better now than it ever has I'm pleased to say.
All that remains is to paint the truck sides silver, although I may try pale grey then dry brush with silver.

Peter M

• Like 3

A selection of pictures showing a Life like Rock Island SW9 #775 and the BL2 #429 making a welcome return to Benson.
The original Life Like trucks fitted the Athearn side frames perfectly as I suspected they might. Life Like really did copy an awful lot from Athearn it would seem.

27852272288_1403915b1f_z.jpg

41003658924_0987d7f8ae_z.jpg

41680983102_f25cb5b4e6_z.jpg

39913905590_ae238df596_z.jpg

39913923470_2298f86a3a_z.jpg

27852378358_c6ba241322_z.jpg

41721197621_c828f4c4df_z.jpg

40822149255_5014c9a375_z.jpg

41003861374_d4edaa1359_z.jpg

26853531647_335df84549_z.jpg

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
missing pics
  • Like 5

I don't know if other people have trouble with dust. I am lucky in that the switching layout is in a spare bedroom and is only visited by me or friends on odd occasions for running sessions. So every now and then I have a session with a soft brush and Henry with his flexible tube.

A few pictures of the All Day and Night CF7 in the east yard at Benson. I know these locomotives are not popular with everyone but I rather like them myself. They are purposeful and functional looking to my eyes.

26853584377_96a01cb73b_z.jpg

40822306895_ee01c6a3c6_z.jpg

39914148830_a8cf15ec34_z.jpg

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
missing pics
  • Like 3

I know these locomotives are not popular with everyone but I rather like them myself. They are purposeful and functional looking to my eyes.

I think you'll find CF7s are very popular with followers of US & C R. Great pics, keep 'em coming!

Mal

Edited by Alcanman

Thank you Steve, a decent camera makes a big difference.

Is this the sort of thing you had in mind Dan?

41675559782_e18d352cd6_z.jpg

40816440835_a117dcdcf9_z.jpg

40997959294_62a9eb1bab_z.jpg

41675595442_30b9d4f203_z.jpg

The structures on the long siding at the back of Benson west yard coming from left to right. This siding also acts as a head shunt for the large Continental Grain silos and Arkansas Feeds.

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
  • Like 2

Thanks Dan.

40998999834_c3067771de_z.jpg

Two huts the one on the left is scratch built based on an Illinois Central Prototype. The one on the Right is the Atlas kit.

40999026894_c94d81ddc9_z.jpg

Part of the minimal engine servicing facilities at Benson west yard. Sand drying hut, sand tower and fuel tank.

40999041394_59cbc412b6_z.jpg

Service station that is a John Deere dealership.

41716628411_993054495a_z.jpg

Service station and general store next to grade crossing to the right.

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
  • Like 3

41716795001_c6ae225b51_z.jpg

Grade crossing to the left entrance to Trisco Flour Mill with signing on office.

40817647805_2b0605e1fe_z.jpg

Trisco Flour Mill Walther's Kit with additions on roof plus annex to left of main building.

27848017698_588a59e5ef_z.jpg

Untidy are to right of Flour mill, grounded reefer used as store and oil tank.
Grade crossing to right to give access to Arkansas Feed.

41716871011_aecec6f426_z.jpg

Midas Cement unloading facility, Walther's kit plus other small buildings for loading bagged cement.
The layout width reduces from 24 inches to 18 inches just past the main structure.

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
  • Like 2

39909642060_e477134361_z.jpg

Midas Cement Silos and the shed where the cement is put into bags for smaller builders or stores for retailing on. Loading platform for outgoing palletised bagged loads. Useful for stores in as well.

41676905842_f0154092e2_z.jpg

Team tracks and pulpwood loading area. More or less anything can be either loaded or unloaded from trucks here.

40817695015_b2c917a302_z.jpg

Mutual Service Elevator. Walther's kit set in card to represent concrete yard area.

40817704555_82f2717ae8_z.jpg

Farmer's Co-op elevator, feed and seed both in and out.

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
  • Like 2