Tornado Viewing Locations

Chris Chewter

• RMweb Gold

I'm keen to catch a glimpse of the newest steam locomotive to grace our rail network, Tornado. Living in Oxfordshire, I'm looking at several tours within travelling distance:

The tours that run through Twyford to Newbury, but where in that area is the best place to see this engine?

The Torbay Express tours leaving Bristol in the summer also interest me. So any ideas for this area as well would be gratefully received.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

If all you want to do is see Tornado, she's stopping for 20 mins at Newbury on the 14th Feb - Sadly I cannot make that one hence why I put up this thread. (I don't think the wife would be happy if I spent valentines day freezing on Newbury Station!)

Timings can be found here:

http://www.steamdreams.com/content/view/242/52/

• RMweb Gold

Like so many things it depends which line it is on and at what time of day.

Some station platforms can be more than ok provided the light is in the right direction - eg Twyford for a train on the Up Relief (and possibly the Up Main) and the Down Main, Reading West for a Down train coming off the curve, Tilehurst (best shot is the Down Relief, Up Relief isn't too bad - the light is not good for the Mains if you want a wideish angle of view), there are a coupe of reasonable views in the vicinity of the overbridges west of Tilehurst (Westbury Lane is fairly good but access might now be awkward, and there is an embankment top footpath between the two overbridges at Purley.

Pangbourne isn't much good, Goriong has one or two angles and then out in teh open country around South Stoke there are possibilities. Going a bit further west - and often seen in pics from Owen The Rail ware views of the overbridge at the west end of Moreton Cutting and in the vicinity of the next overbridge to the east. There's also quite a good spot for the Reliefs - not so clever for the Down Main if you want a wider angle - on the east side of the southern approach to the overbridge by the old Cholsey station (also seen in views from Owen The rail). Possibly just west of Didcot still but I think fencking and overgrowth might nowadays be a problem. Steventon might be worth a look but I haven't been there for years (45 years to be precise0 so it might well be fenced as might access at Wantage Road and Challow both of which are otherwise good sites - or used to be when you could get to lineside., same goes for Uffington.

Down the B&H some of the station are ok - Theale offers some good angles for Down trains if the light is in the right place and is ok for the Up at any time except late afternoon onwards. Ufton Crossing might not be too bad and I think Aldermaston station would be ok but again it depends on the light, same goes for Thatcham. Newbury is ok as you have good open views and further west some of the stations aren't bad but the lineside is likely to involve machette assistance to get from vehicle to fence. Crofton might be interesting and nearby from the canal bank but I'm not sure about overgrowth in between it and the railway.

I'll let you know which coach I'll be in next Sunday and doff my champagne glass to you as I pass if you let us all now where you'll be (well I've gotta give herself the occasional treat haven't I ;) ).

BUT I do seriously recommend recce in advance if you don't know the spots.

Sssh...here's a secret...: http://www.trainspots.co.uk/

Steam locos, especially East Coast Pacifics, tend to attract lemming like behaviour members of the public, so human beings tend to stay away from a platform shot at their local station in favour of a known location out in the country where serious photographers can work with each other and not ruin each other's shot.

• RMweb Gold

Sssh...here's a secret...: http://www.trainspots.co.uk/

Steam locos, especially East Coast Pacifics, tend to attract lemming like behaviour members of the public, so human beings tend to stay away from a platform shot at their local station in favour of a known location out in the country where serious photographers can work with each other and not ruin each other's shot.

Quite agree with the latter although it does seem to have died off a bit.

I would be wary of that Trainspots thing because altho' it does recommend some good places some are now badly overgrown and one I looked at involves trespass on railway property (point to note - not all places which offer an apparent foot or road vehicle crossing over the railway are public crossings and you would be committing an arrestable Byelaw offence if you use them to gain access to the lineside).

if you are prepared to travel beyond Newbury towards Bedwyn, and Crofton, there are plenty of good vantage points from the Kennet and Avon Canal.

I took thses last year.

http://michael527.fotopic.net/c1653886.html

I have taken pics of the Torbay Expresses near Long Aston, Yatton, and Hewish (see tornado shot). I think there was a photo guide to the torbay route but can't recall its name, it was being done by one of 6024's support crew.

Peter Lawson's excellent Bristol rail archive sies is very good on descriptions on the route from and to Temple Meads.

http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page

post-25-12656588175561_thumb.jpg

post-25-1265659168621_thumb.jpg

I'm not one for chasing around the known spots, because I'm inherently lazy(!), but between Nailsea & Backwell stn & Yatton, there's shots to be had on the lead up to a bridge near Chelvey Batch. Esp when she's returning from down south, since she's working harder then.

This was taken in ridiculously fading light, but that's the beauty of the Nikon full frame bodies!

Not a fab shot by any means though!

3781955155_69ebb71286_o.jpg

Then again, sometimes the madding crowd is interesting in itself - this was the NYMR Gala, last April... it occurred to me the public reaction was interesting in itself

3551662713_4fa9520fcb_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

" but between Nailsea & Backwell stn & Yatton, there's shots to be had on the lead up to a bridge near Chelvey Batch. Esp when she's returning from down south, since she's working harder then."

there are some Torbay Express runs on May 30th, June 6th and 13th, which may be in better light.

The best view of a tornado is from the rear view mirror as you hurtle down the interstate to get away from it.

Terrible whistling whirling things that wreak untold damage with its black clouds and mucky rain!

somehow :rolleyes: I don't think we're on about the living breathing ones but that green piece of steaming expensive metal that lurks around the british network.

Seen it once and I was underwhelmed by it. I personally won't be making any special trips to see it unless it comes through my local station or pretty close to my doorstep. But that is my opinion and mine alone. Sorry but I just can't get excited by kettles brought up on grumbly smelly diesels.

But on positive note the sea wall at dawlish is always a good place to get a shot and if the tides are right do something a different and take your wellies/waders and get in the estaury up near Starcross and round Powderham Castle.

Archived