GWR 2600 Class Kit-Bash, in 00 Gauge

SDJR7F88

New video update! :locomotive:  (Sorry it's a bit of a long one)!

A much over due update on the GWR 2600 Class Kit Bash Project. As mentioned in past videos there has been a few set backs, which will be covered in detail in this update. On the plus side there has been a number of good changes, plus a number of new parts, like another Lima Class 09 Chassis have been sourced. Plus I reveal the final livery for the loco. Hopefully the next update won't take as long as the last one.
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmspykBA0nk

post-20663-0-03587700-1425572830.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Cause, It's Back!

Yes, It's Back!

Well, It's Back!

Yes, It's Back!
Back!........, Back!......... 
Back in Black!!!!
Yes, It's Back in Black!!!!! :music: 

Well it's been a while...

Anyway, after many attempts at paint with a number of Khaki paints, I sound the livery was not coming out as I planned, even getting to the point where I nearly ruined the second tender!  :O So decided to have a change of plan... And livery...

As you can guess from the AC/DC reference there, the 2600 will now be in Black, with a number of options for it final disguise, which I will have a long and hard think about. :mail:

I have also create new cab side from scratch, using plastic card, and the hand rails off the cab sides supplied in the 'Truro' kit. I have also created a rough representation of inside motion, with a few odd bits from the kit too, plus some odd 00 gauge rails too. It's very rough, but does improve the look of the running plate vastly.  :locomotive:

Anyway, since it's been hand painted so far I though I would continue. Just hope it levels out and the shades match when the second coat goes on... :scared:

(It's still wet in the photos).

Please tell me what you think 

post-20663-0-29705300-1437407399_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-17647500-1437407418_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-66215800-1437407427_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-81530200-1437407436_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-23369200-1437407445_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-55362000-1437407452_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-11161000-1437407461_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-43876900-1437407473_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-17027600-1437407482_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-06874300-1437407492_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-49197000-1437407499_thumb.jpg

You might want to open out the safety valve bonnet with a suitable drill.

Thanks for the info, might give that a go at the end. Really the project is just for fun. :locomotive:  This is my first attempt at building a loco, and as you can guess from previous post's it has not been the most successful of projects. Started off as a idea for a cheap loco, but with all the mistakes and errors so for I think I'm not far off a price for a basic rtr model now  :jester:

• 3 months later...

A very much over due update on the GWR 2600 Class Kit Bash Project. It's been just nearly 7 months since the layout update, but don't worry some progress has been made! In this time I have got around to creating the cab side, filled in the gaps on the boiler and have also added some inner linkage to the running plate. On top of this there has bee lots of painting, with the model being tested with a number of different paints and liveries. At the moment it's in a temporary black livery, which may change in the future. Let me know what you think on this choice. Hopefully the next update won't take as long as the last one.
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIDjTiP6aWU

post-20663-0-06835500-1446745013_thumb.gif

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to doing some moire work on the 2600 over the past few days, got a bit more painting done, and assembled thevcab and tender (with much difficalty, plus I now need to redo most of the painting I did).so I disided to set the loco up and see what it will hopefully look like when complete.

post-20663-0-65024400-1454162386_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Another very much over due update on the GWR 2600 Class Project. It's been just nearly 9 months since the last update, but progress has been made. In this time the model, has seen an all over coat of Satin Black, and is starting to look the part. The Cab and Tender have also now been fully assembled, along with a few other details like the front buffer beam.
The next major step is to attach the running plate to the Chassis. Once done, the final assembly of the model can begin, attaching the boiler and cab, and adding the finer details. 
As always I hope the next update won't take as long to get around to as the last, but as you know this totally depends on what free time I have, plus the progress on other projects.
Thanks for all the support and hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gapGPdTPCgo

post-20663-0-23613400-1467472855_thumb.gif

Good to see this project progressing again. I have been enjoying following it.

Gary

Thanks ever so much Gary. It really has been a long road with this one. Hopefully will get around to doing more work on it soon  :paint:

• 6 months later...

Another very much over due update on the GWR 2600 Class Project. In this update there's been a major step forward in the construction, with the mount connecting the running plate, chassis and front bogie being created. With all these components now connected, it means that it's time for the 2600's first ever test run, which also features in this update.
With this hurdle overcome, the final assembly of the model can begin, attaching the boiler and cab, and adding the finer details. 
As always I hope the next update won't take as long to get around to as the last, but as you know this totally depends on what free time I have, plus the progress on other projects.
Thanks for all the support and hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d-PbdfFyQY

The choice of motor is causing problems, there are a number of computer Disc drive motors which can be used as replacements for the lima motor and which are thinner especially on the brush gear side and are smaller diameter than the Lima magnet so freeing up space for a firebox backplate and crew.  They may well need resistors if used with typical model railway 12 va controllers which are actually 21 volt but I have been using them for many years in my Lima Diesels.

I thought of this chassis for a conversion but the coupled wheelbase is rather short for GW locos such as Panniers, Aberdares etc so I am thinking use the axles and outside cranks for a Bulldog.

Archived