Transfers

If you have an inkjet printer, you could make your own.

You need a special glue-backed paper and a can of spray acrylic varnish. Quite a few suppliers, so just Google "how to make waterslide decals". There's two types of paper, depending on whether you want a white or clear background.

The nice thing is, as you apply the original varnish, you can decide if it's gloss, matt, or satin. In the case of producing dials, I'd imagine that's a bonus, as you would need to do a lot of masking out before overspraying with varnish.

Have fun,

Rick

• RMweb Premium

If you have an inkjet printer, you could make your own.

You need a special glue-backed paper and a can of spray acrylic varnish. Quite a few suppliers, so just Google "how to make waterslide decals". There's two types of paper, depending on whether you want a white or clear background.

The nice thing is, as you apply the original varnish, you can decide if it's gloss, matt, or satin. In the case of producing dials, I'd imagine that's a bonus, as you would need to do a lot of masking out before overspraying with varnish.

Have fun,

Rick

Crafty Computer Paper is who I use for decal paper - no connection other than as a satisfied customer.

If you have access to a laserjet printer, use the laserjet decal paper instead. the decal doesn't need waterproofing with varnish before use, as an inkjet printed one does. (The varnish makes the decal thicker and slightly more visible)

Cheers,

Mick

Actually, I'd intentionally avoided advertising one supplier ;-) mutter, mutter, mutter...

The video at whatstheirnames says you need three coats of acrylic varnish to stop the ink leeching. You don't. Just buy genuine quality inkjet cartridges, and let the ink thoroughly dry overnight. Then you only need a couple of light applications of varnish - not too thick - just enough to hold the transfer together.

Cheers,

Rick

Archived