Two Sister's Farm

I am lucky enough to have a local modelshop and after some time spent with some books and a calculator I paid the shop a visit this morning with some supplies so I could mock a few things up.

I fancy something with a limited passenger service as well as a goods so I used my Lynton and Barnstaple book for some reference in regards to sizes. Here is a L&B sized wagon on a 00 chassis ( the wheelbase is too short but the Dundas kit I bought its very close to what I wanted ) - I also will need a small coach or two so grabbed a bogie to fiddle about with.

Some of this is falling together nicely - a 4mm 12' wagon chassis scales out just about right for what I want and the 12.6 mm wheels come out very close as well 

Peter might have started something here ...

post-20732-0-82516500-1419951127_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the small hijack Peter - I wont make a habit of it I promise

Edited by ThePurplePrimer
  • Like 2

Well now you have made a good start Rob you have really got to carry on. I like the L&B inspiration.

It is a lovely size to work in, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it once you get going.

I like the figure, you will be able to really go to town painting him.

Regards Peter M

41618688961_19e5f12643_z.jpg

Some Britain's bales of hay which will be delivered to the extensive pig sties by the Davenport, on the Nocton estate a two foot gauge track ran down the centre of the pig sties.

This modified Bachmann On30 loco although it only has four wheels runs superbly over the dead frog points.

27773481538_e67948c7b5_z.jpg

Birds eye view of layout.

26750823567_ef713b67e3_z.jpg

A view taken standing under the bridge as a Simplex rumbles towards the camera as it sets off for another day in the fields.

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have found a few photographs I took when I first got the new camera and was testing it out.

41581185092_f3173a2eb7_z.jpg

This shot taken outside the engine shed shows the wooden bodied Simplex ticking over. Over a period of time the exhaust has discoloured the canvas cab side which flaps about as the machine proceeds along the track.
The oil drums are Tamiya 1/35 scale military items kit which came with Gerry cans, large drums and buckets. They are mounted on a stand made of balsa and wire.

40729773695_c9ee241157_z.jpg

The Simplex is still idling and waiting for its next assignment, but now Tilly has arrived from doing a job repairing some damaged fencing.

27752476638_36bbe041e9_z.jpg

The Simplex sets off at last to collect some wagons that have been loaded the previous day. She is seen passing the small water tower made from odds and ends from the spares box and the balsa foreman's hut.

41581286532_5a1c9d5f9d_z.jpg 

The Simplex has disappeared under the bridge affording a better view of the no longer used horse drawn implement under the tree. This came from a German Army field kitchen set made by Tamiya.

40865265084_59bff4df52_z.jpg

The owner's brother is seen admiring the crop of tomatoes growing in the long greenhouse. This cash crop makes a valuable addition the estate's finances and after harvesting the old plants are ploughed in as green manure.
The figure is a 1/32 scale Airfix Track Officials and Spectators set of motor racing figures, now made by MRRC.

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
  • Like 4

Two Sister's Farm will be appearing at the following exhibition.

Beacon-Rail 2015
Model Railway Exhibition
Pitstone Memorial Hall
Vicarage Road Pitstone LU7 9EY
Near Tring
Saturday 11th April
10.30 – 4.30

If you live near by come along and have a drive. With a big layout like mine
I'm always glad of all the help I can get.

Peter M

• 3 weeks later...

I have started work on a project I have been thinking about for some time now. I was given a Con-Cor switcher with a view to using the chassis. It runs superbly so I had to try to think up a suitable body for it.
In the end I decided to make a wooden bodied 2-4-2, cheating with the Bo-Bo chassis. The long side skirts will hide its real identity.
The back story is the device was one of the original locomotives used on the farm but has lain derelict in a barn for many years and has been resurrected as a project for a couple of apprentices to get working again.
I am making it up as I go along so am still not sure what it will look like when it is finished.
I will try to have it in a presentable state for my next exhibition.

40954136434_d0f11e4dd1_z.jpg

40773899985_11d5e9b9ea_z.jpg

40773929365_28826a9f95_z.jpg

The photographs show the progress I have made so far

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Pipparooba, thanks for your interest, 1/32-1/35 ish is a nice size to work in.

41664072051_6594c45237_z.jpg

40773996785_6c040f1a80_z.jpg

27795921758_01f75e52c8_z.jpg

27795940578_f810601786_z.jpg

Grunty Fen Engineering have done a little more work on the wooden bodied shunter.
I have managed to give it opening doors with the aid of some real bodging.
The doors are hinged with a piece of rod passing through the top of the door frame and into the edge of the door itself. This was easy from the top with a small drill held in a pin vise. The bottom though could not be reached with the drill. So after a bit of a ponder I resorted to a hot dress maker's pin heated with a blow torch and held with a small pair of pliers. Crude but effective.
I still have some controls in the cab and a roof to add.
The driver faces outwards and can then see both ways without leaving his seat.

The photographs were taken on my shunty plank testing layout.

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
  • Like 1

I really like that Peter

That said I bet when he conducted initial testing he soon got fed up with the exhaust fumes blowing in his face through the window.

Did he bend the exhaust outlet vertical to shoot the fumes over the cab roof later on or did he decide to leave it like that ?

Edited by ThePurplePrimer
  • Like 1

Rob,

I think you have a fair point with regard to the exhaust outlet. I will change it so that it discharges almost vertically.

I am spoiling the driver really with doors and a roof, whatever next.

That said in those far off days manufacturers though little about creature comforts.

The first Fordson Major E1A's for example the exhaust pipe ended under the back axle

directly below the driver's seat. They then had the pipe re-routed to discharge vertically, it was said to reduce the risk of fires with dry straw for instance.

Peter M

I have given the body a spray coat of grey primer, it shows up if more work is needed on the wood effect. I have modified the cab interior to suit the driver figure who has been carved about and now looks as if he is wearing a boiler suit.

Following your suggestion Rob, I have modified the exhaust pipe outlet. I thought an angle rather than vertical so as not to impede the flow of gases too much.

26797081147_b3d33fa8ae_z.jpg

39857858660_98bb58da0f_z.jpg

39857870980_8fe1fea052_z.jpg

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
  • Like 4

I have just been gently rubbing down the primer coat and checking for blemishes.
I have found a few bits here and there, the most obvious being a sink mark on top of the air cleaner cover on the bonnet top.
I used a little Swedish putty, which is Polyfiller mixed to a paste using paint rather than water. In this case I used a cellulose primer as the liquid. It dries to a hard finish that can be filed or sanded needing only a light coat of primer when you are happy with the finish.
It works well with any type of liquid paint base rather than the customary water.

Peter M

A bit more progress with the final paint scheme and some work stained weathering.
I am tempted to leave it at this stage as I think it is all too easy to overdo it.
It is after all a device that is supposed to be in daily use.

I have yet to fit the roof and this will be covered with a fabric effect. As is the roof to the store at the back of the cab with an access door on the near side where the fuel filler is situated. Then a few bits of rope and chain and a re-railing jack, KD's at each end to finish it off.

I will then take a few more pictures on the layout to test it out before the next show in a month.

40954354634_012d6be622_z.jpg

41664181061_96795cb535_z.jpg

39857919010_10e4840d21_z.jpg

26797186007_b3f2ab577e_z.jpg

40954415924_bc1e2c3ac3_z.jpg

39857971640_c21bfeffac_z.jpg

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
  • Like 1

Grunty Fen have now planked the roof.
I tried a two sheets of plasticard coming to point on the roof but it didn't look quite right somehow. So I put a slight radius at the point and planked it which I think looks better.

I have glued a sheet of toilet tissue with PVA to the planks and given it a couple of coats of grey primer. I want it to represent some sort of fabric covering. The planking still shows through which I think looks better than a pristine roof.

40954463104_5bfe5eaea9_z.jpg

40954474914_b295ee4a4b_z.jpg

40774207145_1d80dc477a_z.jpg

41664275371_32de5236f6_z.jpg

This shows the primed roof covering which will be trimmed to fit then painted a dirty black colour. Then a general touching up around the edges of the roof.

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
  • Like 1

Thanks Rob, I wanted the roof to look the sort of thing you could make in a farm workshop. Overall I'm quite pleased with how it has turned out given I have made it up as I went along.

I must say the Concor chassis runs beautifully, smooth, slow and quiet.

Regards Peter M