Hornby R3115 Exeter and the case of inadvertant Limited Editions

andyman7

So, are there any other good stories out there?     

I can't comment much on anything other than Tri-ang, but a few models spring to mind...

Black early cellulose 0-6-0 shunter with number 13002

First version of the R53 green princess and tender

Black R50 princess with red name heat printer on black background

I have several of each of these, but I've rarely ever seen any others.

Interestingly on eBay some people will list something with a stupidly high buy it now price because it's 'rare' for some obscure reason. There's a Hornby 2-6-2T BR tank for £300 because it's a late one with silver seal wheels. This is all well and good, but it's only going to appeal to a few people if any.

I've found that prices now are less than they used to be. It all comes down to demand. With eBay it's far easier to find models - the supply is much larger and more convenient. I used to make occasional trips to model shops on the off chance they had something I wanted, or go to once-yearly model shows. These days so many of the items are easily found online, so it makes them seem less exclusive. Also I expect there'll be less demand with younger people - I certainly wouldn't be buying Tri-ang models as an investment opportunity!

I have a Black Princess, R.50, from 1959. " Princess Victoria" BR Lined Black, late crest, MKIII couplings and all.

Now this doesn't sound too uncommon.....

This one 46205 however is numbered 46201.....

Someone hadn't changed the numbering tool after making the last black R.50 "Princess Elizabeth" models in 1958-1959...all 1959 models were meant to be "Princess Victoria". 46205.

Now does anyone else have one of these? 

Funny thing....This months Railway Modeller (I think, or possibly Hornby Magazine...) has the news that Hornby is to release more models of W.C. "Exeter" with the early emblem!  ;)

Well that should stop the over priced/carpet bagger's on a well know site.

• RMweb Gold

Funny thing....This months Railway Modeller (I think, or possibly Hornby Magazine...) has the news that Hornby is to release more models of W.C. "Exeter" with the early emblem!  ;)

Well that should stop the over priced/carpet bagger's on a well know site.

I certainly hope so - I don't like to think of proper modellers and collectors being ripped off.

I just hope there isn't some minor difference between batches - whether in the model itself, or in the packaging.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Announced a couple of weeks ago.  Ordered mine from Hatton's for £108 which I think is about the same as my original unfulfilled order.  According to Hornby they'll be delivered this December.

It was Hornby Magazine, May Issue, Page 9, top right!

Cat No. given as R.3115. Price as £134.99. "delivery expected towards the end of this year".

I have a Black Princess, R.50, from 1959. " Princess Victoria" BR Lined Black, late crest, MKIII couplings and all.

Now this doesn't sound too uncommon.....

This one 46205 however is numbered 46201.....

Someone hadn't changed the numbering tool after making the last black R.50 "Princess Elizabeth" models in 1958-1959...all 1959 models were meant to be "Princess Victoria". 46205.

Now does anyone else have one of these? 

Wow, what an amazing find! Never heard/seen of that before, but I guess it must've happened from time to time on various models when they changed the tooling over.

Archived