Virney Junction - Scenery ongoing

Ray H

Hello Ray, Really nice job on the track building / ballasting very neat, the bus bars on BS are copper, as a friend was having his house re-wired l saw a load of off-cuts with a nice thick bar of copper wire in it, as he was throwing it away l thought l would have some of it, works great...

• RMweb Premium

I managed to finish the first of the three 3-way fiddle yard points prior to heading away for a few days at the start of the week. It has been temporarily laid in place and will hopefully be fixed more securely over the next few days - a busy weekend looms (and catching up with the RMweb posts that appeared in my absence) so the next point probably won't get started just yet.

I took a couple of (railway modelling) e-books with me to read whilst away and one got me thinking again about how/what I can do to disguise the disappearance of the "extension".

One of my more recent abortive layout attempts saw me build and weather an old Airfix loco shed that I'd had lying around for a while - the first building that I'd ever weathered. I'd tried to accommodate it on subsequent layout attempts but couldn't find an easy means of doing so and I had no intention of doing so on this layout until I read the e-book.

post-10059-0-18270400-1441400956.jpg

Perhaps I could slightly extend the middle siding - the one to the left of the extension in the picture above - and place the shed there. It would certainly act as a view blocker. Equally, I'm wondering if I need to re-think the brewery idea and limit my plan to a smaller building that still had rail access for loading/unloading. I could then have a grass bank at the rear of the loco shed to hide the extension until after it had disappeared behind the curved backscene. The brewery replacement building could be built into that bank and possibly be low relief but with enough built to include the loading bay.

On a slightly different theme I need a new name for the layout and thread lest the current name causes any confusion between this layout and the basic concept behind the original continuous run layout that the thread was started for.

I'm certainly contemplating "moving" the railway away from Metroland territory if only to provide more justification for mixing LMR and ER stock together.

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 3

Re naming is always a difficult one, so think carefully and at least leave the Old Name, ( Virney Jct) showing for a while until its established.

All the best and great to read that you have been BRAVE enough to tackle a 3 Way Point as well.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy.

The hardest part of the 3 way point is working out where to position the common crossings. Luckily I've used the same template for all three of them albeit that one is flipped over so most of the hard work is over.

I could possibly leave the thread title as Virney Junction because the re-arrangement of the passing station (with the freight only branch) now converts that station to a junction! I just hope I don't disappoint too many people who come looking for a railway at the end of the Met Line.

I've dug out the engine shed and placed it at the end of the siding - I might post a picture later. It has taught me one thing. Always weather both sides of a building as you never know when you might use it facing the other way!

Another thought that I've had is for the extension to be on a slight incline as it leaves the station and disappears behind the engine shed. I'd prefer the line to drop away from the station but I'd need to dismantle part of the baseboard to achieve that.

I think I need to exaggerate any incline to make it noticeable/meaningful. Luckily, there is about fifteen inches between the toe of the point at the end of the platform and the front face of the engine shed so I should be able to gain about 10mm in height (at 1 in 30) which I hope would be enough for the incline to have some impact. I'd level it off gradually once it was out of sight.

Oh well, back to point building for a short while before our visitors arrive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

post-10059-0-59172100-1442263724.jpg

The above image shows the first loco to enter (and leave) the fiddle yard whilst the wiring of droppers continues on the adjacent roads. The circular impression in the foam underlay is where I inadvertently left the tin of reasonable quality blue emulsion that I bought at a bargain price for painting the backscenes!

post-10059-0-85401800-1442263734.jpg

By the end of this evening all the droppers at the country end of the fiddle yard had been wired in, the aforementioned train run in and out of each siding and the operation of all 9 sidings assigned to NCE macros numbered 1 to 9 from left to right when entering the yard. Unfortunately I can only have 15 macros worked from the throttle which is a pain because almost all the pointwork on the scenic side of the layout comprises crossovers which would be easier to work using macros. Fortunately this is only a short term problem because I ultimately plan to have lever frames at both stations.

All that remains to be done in the fiddle yard is to attach droppers to the short lengths of track at the camera end of the sidings (and more visible in the first image). It may be a bit over the top given the light usage of that end of the sidings but I still plan to do it.

post-10059-0-07766100-1442263715.jpg

The next area to get some attention will be the single line approaching the through station - I really must decide on some station names!

Here I want to cut the baseboard surface away at the end of the headshunts, one of which is just visible at top right in the third image, so that I can add a road under rail bridge slightly beyond the end of the headshunts. There'll be a reasonably steep embankment down to the road to provide a reason for curtailing the length of the headshunts (which aren't that short anyway!). The "ground" will then be built back up to the existing baseboard level by the time it gets to a point in line with the small piece of plastic card (under which there is a cross bearer that I don't want to move if I don't have to.

Apart from cutting the ply I have one cross brace to move, one longitudinal brace to remove and another to be shortened (and refitted), all hopefully without damaging the track.

I also need to tidy up the wiring along the baseboard face at both stations and fit some form of covering over the wiring to protect it - given the number of times that I've found myself leaning on the baseboard as I've been working on distant tracks!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A burst of energy and a bit of unexpected free time today saw further work tackled on the layout this afternoon & evening. I had planned to finish off the electrics in the fiddle yard but I couldn’t resist attacking the baseboard where I plan to incorporate the bridge.

post-10059-0-85590300-1442352712.jpg

The first image shows the inverted baseboard as was. The minimal wiring – not quite the two-wire DCC concept but not far from it – is clearly visible.

post-10059-0-66313000-1442352721.jpg

The next image shows my original intention which was to move a cross brace towards the through station end of the baseboard and remove the two longitudinal braces that were joined to it. I got as far as partly fixing the cross brace in its new position and then realised that I’d have some difficulty in making the sudden drop in ground level right across the layout at the end of the headshunts look realistic.

Instead I fitted a piece of plywood to form a floor between the cross braces either side of the one I had removed. I had to inset the piece of ply because one side of the baseboard rests on a support and adding something under the side framing of the baseboard would have lifted that side of the baseboard by the thickness of the floor.

I used the semi-circular vibrating saw blade attachment on my multi-tool to remove the unwanted baseboard surface between the retained cross braces.

post-10059-0-52470500-1442352730.jpg

I still need to narrow the track-bed across the bridge decking once I have the position of the bridge finalised. I've fitted spacers under the trackbed but have used hot glue rather than PVA to secure them because they'll be easier to move if necessary once I know where the bridge is giong.

I even re-routed all the droppers at this end of the board through new holes in the front edge of the baseboard without the need to use the soldering iron thanks to the connectors that I’ve been using!

I’ll decide tomorrow whether to finish the fiddle yard electrics or tackle the woodwork for the extension. Remembering that I had the multi-tool (and the ease with which I was able to modify the baseboard today) has renewed my enthusiasm to drop the extension’s track level as it leaves the terminus.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy

I'm intending to cover the electrics both top - which will also protect the servos mounted along the front edge and slightly proud of the baseboard surface - and front.

I aim to do that with a strip of wood screwed to the baseboard surface as a spacer that supports a wider strip of plywood that projects over the top of servos and wiring and is further supported by blocks screwed or glued to the face of the baseboard's front edge.

I'll then screw a facia strip of plywood across the vertical edge of the blocks so that I can still access the electrics fairly easily if I need to.

That's the plan anyway!.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Someone once told me that there were no such things as problems, only Solution Opportunities!

And so to Solution Opportunity 1

post-10059-0-82962900-1442436800.jpg

This is a close up of the terminal station side of the area of the baseboard that I attacked with the "saw" yesterday. The floor that I added yesterday is screwed from underneath to a piece of plywood that is in turn secured to the nearby cross brace. The arrows that I've added show where one of the longitudinal supports is secured to the same cross brace.

My overnight plan was to cut the top of the cross brace to slope it downwards from baseboard edge towards the track bed. I hadn't realised how high the newly installed piece of plywood (that supports the floor section added yesterday) was. Nor had I realised the position of the screw that is arrowed.

Having pondered the options this evening I've decided that I shall wait until I know where the bridge will go and where the road will be and then I'll simply cut a road width piece of the baseboard top and a (road width) "channel" through the two pieces of plywood and screw the cut piece of baseboard to the (lowered) part of the plywood.

Here's a taster to Solution Opportunity 2 about which more in due course.

post-10059-0-67135300-1442436808.jpg

Thanks Andy

I'm intending to cover the electrics both top - which will also protect the servos mounted along the front edge and slightly proud of the baseboard surface - and front.

I aim to do that with a strip of wood screwed to the baseboard surface as a spacer that supports a wider strip of plywood that projects over the top of servos and wiring and is further supported by blocks screwed or glued to the face of the baseboard's front edge.

I'll then screw a facia strip of plywood across the vertical edge of the blocks so that I can still access the electrics fairly easily if I need to.

That's the plan anyway!.

Sounds more like your building an Ark with all that Timber Mate, hahhahah

• RMweb Premium

Sounds more like your building an Ark with all that Timber Mate, hahhahah

The framework you can see in the bottom image (which Jeff would probably have built even bulkier) was constructed when I was working towards a continuous run style layout. I intended to dismantle it when I changed to a fiddle yard to terminus scheme but I decided to go for the extension beyond the terminus (in the knowledge that there was still something to support the extra baseboard) before I got round to dismantling it.

The G cramp has the highly scientific purpose of supporting a paper bag that I use as a rubbish bin!

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And so to Solution Opportunity 2 - with apologies for the day's delay & the need to refer back to the image in yesterday's post.

The eagle eyed will have noted the closeness of the proposed extension to the wall (which I don't necessarily have any concerns about). However, I am concerned that as can be seen, the extension will be directly above the radiator that is visible at bottom left of the second of yesterday's pictures.

In the normal run of things I could fit a shelf to the wall at the relevant height and lay the single track of the extension on that. I don't think this is appropriate in this instance because I shall need to re-marshal freight trains between arrival & departure and will need somewhere to put the wagons that are staying behind.

Another consideration is that the modified end of the erstwhile brewery siding - the track that is slightly longer than the Templot printout beneath it - also needs to exist on a small part of any new baseboard. The area that takes ideally needs to be further enhanced to incorporate at least some scenery, the buffer stop and the edge of the back scene which has to pass between the end of the siding and the extension track.

My current thinking is to make the baseboard support narrower, produce a triangular baseboard frame (to sit on that modified support) and have the baseboard surface unsupported over the radiator possibly adding a strip of expanded polystyrene to the underside of the baseboard to absorb any heat from the radiator. The side of the baseboard frame nearest to the radiator will also have sections removed to allow the heat to escape.

I'm also almost 100% certain (although I've literally only just thought of it) that the extension track will climb as it leaves the station and stay at the elevated height over the radiator to maximise the space between the underside of the baseboard and the radiator.

I shall sleep on this idea for at least a couple of nights so things could still change.

• RMweb Premium

I managed to extend the baseboard edge to accommodate the end of the brewery siding in its new position. It wasn't worth making a separate (micro) baseboard as I would then have had problems securing it to the main board. Instead I re-cycled part of the smaller of the two pieces that I had earlier cut from the baseboard between the two station, (badly) cut some angles at the ends of some plywood to act as a support and screwed everything together and to side of the original baseboard.

The backscene will hug the inside of the raised track section ending at the baseboard's (new) edge.

post-10059-0-60901300-1442781591.jpg

By Saturday evening I had managed to build the inclined section with a gradient of around 1 in 30. The first 15cms or thereabouts comprised varying thicknesses of card stepped as the length of the grade increased until their thickness equalled that of the plywood base of the inclined section. It was still possible to feel the edges of the steps even with two thicknesses of foam (but the card thickness was unlikely to have any impact on the track above).

post-10059-0-79004700-1442781582.jpg

I did try a wagon over the join between main baseboard and the inclined section on Saturday evening but doing so again this morning made me realise that introducing such a severe gradient at a rail gap was not a good idea, something confirmed to me by a colleague who called round for a while on Sunday morning. The full impact is just visible where the end of the unballasted section of track meets the point in the picture below.

post-10059-0-78391100-1442781603.jpg

My friend called round for a chat and a bit of a running session so I transferred some of my stock from Wynsloe Road to the fiddle yard as can be seen below. It made me realise just how much stock I have - there must be the same amount again still on the old layout - and how short of vans I am! Does anyone want to swap some as new PO wagons - many of which have been taken out of their box and placed on the (old) layout and nothing else - for some vans?

post-10059-0-27155700-1442781613.jpg

I believe that I've suggested before that I could be dangerous if I had a brain (and used it)! Having decided that the 1 in 30 gradient had to go I spent some while thinking how I could ease the join between baseboard and inclined section given that the new gradient was nearer 1 in 75. When I woke up I remembered that I could use the multi-tool to cut through the top of the baseboard either side of the proposed line of track and raise the unattached end until the surface was the same height as the end of the trackbed on the inclined section when resting on the (uncut part of the) baseboard. Simples!

It would have been a lot easier if I had also remembered that the baseboard top is 8mm thick whereas I'd used 3.5mm plywood to support the track on the incline! A small block was screwed to the underside of the unattached end of the cut piece of baseboard and a bit of (plywood) packing cut to the appropriate thickness beneath the 3.5mm plywood (and also screwed to the block) made the two levels the same. The rest of the incline was then packed with plywood pieces of the appropriate thickness. The result is that the highest part of the incline - at the end - is now 24mm above the baseboard surface as opposed to something nearer to 60mm with the 1 in 30 gradient.

post-10059-0-25998000-1442781623.jpg

Two thicknesses of foam were glued to the raised section of baseboard, the length of the 3.5mm plywood having been cut back as required before it was screwed to the above mentioned block. I also persuaded another shallow piece of plywood to hide under the raised piece of baseboard and glued to the baseboard's cross brace that had supported the strip of baseboard before it was cut.

post-10059-0-00180600-1442781638.jpg

The result was much more satisfactory than before as the following image (hopefully) shows.

The downside of the new arrangement is that the extension's fiddle yard won't be as high above the top of the radiator as I'd like but I'm hopeful that the heat won't affect the fiddle yard above if it is well braced.

post-10059-0-69048900-1442781649.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

post-10059-0-98844400-1443208852.jpg

Having amended the thread's title to indicate that track laying was complete - it is now!

The baseboard and the side frames below are of good quality 15mm plywood and there's a piece of expanded polystyrene glued to the underside. I'm hopeful that this will be enough to stop the board from reacting too severely to the heat from the radiator underneath.

Here's the first train in the extension's fiddle yard. Although there are three tracks, only one is electrified and connected to the layout. The other two tracks are purely to stand vehicles on.

I could have added a point at the top of the grade - i.e. the start of the fiddle yard - but that would have reduced the available siding length by almost a third so I decided against it.

I have since run a nine wagon train up and down the gradient using the 1F without any problem although even with a much shallower incline, the change from level to grade at base level is still quite pronounced. Unfortunately a complete absence of Peco track pins - the last few were used in the fiddle yard itself - prevents me from trying to ease the level change by pushing the plain track into the foam slightly. That said, the SMP track sleepers probably haven't got the body to withstand too much pressure and would probably cause the rails to pop out of the chairs.

An alternative might be to replace the second or third sleeper from the end of the point with a PCB one and try pinning that down.

I'll wait until I have had some experience of using the gradient before I do anything else.

There's a little bit of wiring to tidy up and I want to cover/protect the exposed parts along the front edge before I start leaning over the baseboards too much to work on any scenery. However, I may do some work on the backscenes sooner rather than later.

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Today's tasks have been a bit "many & various".

I fitted a decoder to a newly arrived factory weathered green Bachmann 2-6-2T (and gave the wheels a clean whilst I was at it).

I've tidied up/replaced the last of the temporary wiring along the front edge of the layout. I've cut all the 5.5mm plywood sheets (and the single piece of 6mm bendy MDF that I had) into twelve inch wide strips for the backscenes and then cut some odd bits of 8.5mm plywood into strips 25mm wide that I've since fitted along the upper front edge of all the baseboards except the one where the road will go under the railway. These strips - which have spaces between them to accommodate the servo horns, micro switches and wiring - will support much wider strips that will protrude over the front edge of the layout as part of the protection of the servos, wiring and servo controllers/decoders.

Latterly I have cut an opening in the piece of bendy MDF for the "extension" to pass through. The opening and a section of backscene to the right of it will be hidden from view by a building between the two tracks in the picture. That building - currently planned to be a brewery - will have a small rail served loading bay at the end of the track visible in the foreground.

post-10059-0-41438800-1443385772.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I hadn't realised that it was so long since I last posted an update.

All the backscenes are now in situ. The four "corners" are 6mm thick bendy MDF and can all be removed in the event that I need to upturn a baseboard. The remaining boards have been glued to the garage wall, All have been painted blue and some have even had the odd bit of off-white emulsion daubed on in (probably far too many) places to represent clouds. The few that are devoid of clouds will be similarly treated sooner rather than later (although I may try and be a little more conservative with the clouding).

I've also covered the servos, wiring, Waggo connectors and controller boards as the following three images will show. The first image shows the finished item and the second the items that needed covering.

post-10059-0-30715100-1444597072.jpg post-10059-0-71617000-1444597080.jpg

15mm plywood blocks where screwed to the front face of the baseboard edge, with cut-outs to cover any wiring. I had to remove the previously (and fairly recently applied) sticky-backed cable clips in some places to facilitate the adding of the blocks. The blocks are spaced as near to 30cms apart as I could get them. The front edge of the top of the baseboard had previously been fitted with a 25mm wide strips of 9mm plywood to protect the servo horns and the micro switches.

A picture paints a thousand words - which saves you reading them! This last image shows the aforementioned plywood strip along the front edge of the top of the baseboard with gaps for the micro-switches. It also shows one of the uncovered 15mm plywood blocks fixed in place on the front face of the baseboard support (and the cut-out for the wire to pass behind). The vertical cover has already been added and screwed to the 15mm blocks further along. Everything is screwed to facilitate easy removal.

post-10059-0-14905800-1444597090.jpg

Meanwhile, away from the layout I've started work on drafting the timetable. The passenger services have already been timed and are being written out afresh to ensure I haven't compromised the single line occupancy. I shall then endeavour to time the freight services. There will be two pick-up freights, one morning and one afternoon with one originating from the ER and the other from the LMR. There is also likely to be a third to serve the freight only branch (as well as at least one block train to do likewise).

There is just a chance that there will also be a pick-up freight from the other end of the layout bringing a few wagons from the WR (via the connection at Banbry) over the (off scene) weak bridge over the Great Ouse just north west of the main (Buckinhum) station. This train is liable to run in several portions due to the weight limitation on the bridge.

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hey that's looking good Ray, nice work on both the Track and covering the Electrics. Well done mate.

George and I thought we might see you at Gaydon (The Great Electric Train Show) yesterday.

Thanks for the "Likes" chaps.

I was in two minds whether to go to Gaydon over the weekend or to go to Peterborough next weekend.

The domestic authority has been desirous of a trip to see friends in North Wales for a while so I volunteered to go over the weekend just gone and co-incidentally stayed at Chirk so a visit to the Llangollen Railway wasn't out of the question for yesterday.

Alas, a tiring day visiting on Saturday took its toll for despite a reasonably early night we managed to sleep until 9.15 yesterday morning - we're usually up and about before 8am every day!

By the time breakfast was over it was too tight to make the first train and I didn't relish the thought of struggling back south with the Sunday evening motorway traffic if I stayed for the following train so we headed for home instead - and I completely forgot I could have dropped in at Gaydon on the way.

And I've still not made my mind up about Peterborough!

There have been some civil engineering developments on the layout today - pictures within the next few days.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm now well outside my comfort zone and treading into the unknown. Although I did add a little scenery to Wynsloe Road, it was solely as a member of the flat earth society. I've sunk to new lows with this layout as some of the previous images have shown and am hopefully going to fulfil a wish to incorporate a road under railway bridge into this layout.

post-10059-0-79811200-1444762028.jpg

post-10059-0-42995000-1444762037.jpg

I'd already removed the top from the baseboard and replaced it with the lower level floor seen in the pictures. I've now attacked the upper baseboard level further back in an effort to ease the slope on the road. The road would otherwise have been at track level until it reached where the top surface had been removed and would have then had a very steep drop to the lower level. Now the descent starts as the road joins the baseboard and is much less severe.

The pictures show some reasonably steeply angled card formers between the lower levels of the road and the higher track bed level. These will act as the supports for the embankment linking the two. I've gone this far and now realised that I need to decide the nature of and probably fit the bridge and any retaining walls so that I can decide what further supports I need to add before attempting to develop the embankment.

I've allowed approximately 80mm for the roadbed width. There will then be about 10mm plus on each side for the verge/hedgerow before the embankment proper starts. I'm also minded to have a shallow (and narrow) ridge at the top of the embankment as I think it unlikely that the bank would drop straight away from the side of the cess. Presumably there has to be somewhere for the boundary fence to go.

I also need to decide how to tackle the climb up to the baseboard edge from the inside of the road's curve and how to treat the narrow gap between the edge of the trackbed and the baseboard edge on the outside of the (track) curve.

The road bed is styrene sheet that I came by fairly recently. It is much more flexible than 9mm plywood and has some strengthening to keep it reasonably rigid.

The engine shed is just resting between placements, it won't stay where it is and I currently have no plans to incorporate it into the layout.

I've not fitted the covering over the layout's electrics on this board because I won't know how I can achieve this until the scenery is much further advanced.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I managed to do some more preparatory work to the ground area around the rail (over road) bridge this afternoon once I got back from the Peterborough show but I packed in a bit earlier than planned when my (ultra low) blood pressure started giving problems.

Instead I spent part of the evening transcribing the (passenger) timetable to a graph so that I can see where I have paths for the freight services.

layout timetable.pdf

The attached extract shows the first few hours initially in real time and then at what I'd hoped would be one twelfth real time - i.e. one speeded up hour passes in 5 minutes real time. This would keep a correlation with real time version and mean that the timetable would take about 90 minutes to run right through.

I hadn't paid too much attention to the conversion process between the two versions once I'd worked out how to do it with Excel formula. Consequently I hadn't noticed that the (5 minute) minimum turn round times on the railbus (to/fro Banbury) and the 3-5 minutes allowance for junction working on the fiddle yard side of the through station were reduced to no real time minutes, something only noticed as I populated the graph.

I've tweaked the spreadsheet and it looks as though altering the time relationship from 1:12 to 1:8 solves most of the problems at the expense of extending the operational period to about 2¼ hours. I've try transcribing that onto the graph and see how that looks. My immediate thought is that it might make shunting a little more sedate!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget Ray that 4mm scale freight shunting isn't necessarily 8 times quicker than 1:1 scale shunting.  This can be where compressing time has certain drawbacks compared with sequence working of the model although i seem to remember someone years ago did a sort of mixture using speeded up time in between bouts of slower time for shunting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike.

I have a sneaky plan!

The "railway" clock - a bl**dy big battery powered analogue device - has been modified so that it can be switched on and off. The prime reason for this was so that I can turn everything off at the end of a running session and turn them all back on the next time I go back into the garage for an operating session, continuing where I left off before.

I recall you (or someone else) warning me about the need for the extra shunting time before, so I expect the switch will see a bit more use than originally intended.

Alternatively, I may experiment with tweaking the timetable so that the ratio with real time mysteriously reduces when the pick-up freights are around. Just writing about it now has made me realise that the simple act of running round the passenger trains may need some adjustment to the ratio as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

post-10059-0-46260100-1445161182.jpg

post-10059-0-37084800-1445161169.jpg

These are the views from either side of a bridge to the east of Verney Junction. Whilst obviously not in the correct geographical position, I need to try to emulate something like the 90º turn on the north side because the bushes on the corner will help to disguise the baseboard edge frame.

I might have to overlook the fact that such a turn on the layout would necessitate a tunnel under the end of the headshunt for the factory siding!

Maybe the answer is to lessen the tightness of the turn such that the corner is beyond the end of the headshunt  by angling the hedgerow - unfortunately there just isn't the room to get the road in between the headshunt and the edge of the baseboard.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The story so far - a closer look at the bridge photos just now proved I hadn't studied them well enough before and the design I thought had been used was nothing like the real thing.

Anyway, the ground around the bridge has been "sloped" using card formers covered in two thicknesses of plaster cloth and then given a coat of diluted PVA prior to a diluted coat of acrylic green.

post-10059-0-76556600-1445716116.jpg

The adjacent board has seen my limited stock of expanded polystyrene more or less exhausted to form the basis of some raised ground at the adjacent end of the adjoining baseboard.

post-10059-0-88878000-1445716124.jpg

The polystyrene has been attacked with a rasp with the edge nearest the track also being "sloped". I plan to fill the void between the edge of the polystyrene and the edge of the foam so that a gradual slope between the two horizontal levels results and leaves just enough room for the cess.

The ultimate aim is to cover the green bits (and a large part of the rest of the layout) with grass mat.

I shall tidy things up a bit afterwards so that I can organise a few running sessions to see if I have the timetable worked out ok.

• Like 5