Square file - smooth cut or second cut for brass ?

RhBBob

Another gap in my knowledge :scratchhead:

Searching for a square section file for use on brass sections - i.e. soldering two 'H' section pieces for catenary posts - I looked at these which I presume are fairly good quality stock. (Although nowhere on the site can I find the actual cross-section dimension!)

http://www.axminster.co.uk/vallorbe-swiss-square-files

But, what is the difference between the two types ?

Thanks !

Another gap in my knowledge :scratchhead:

Searching for a square section file for use on brass sections - i.e. soldering two 'H' section pieces for catenary posts - I looked at these which I presume are fairly good quality stock. (Although nowhere on the site can I find the actual cross-section dimension!)

http://www.axminster.co.uk/vallorbe-swiss-square-files

But, what is the difference between the two types ?

Thanks !

The "cut" is the size of the teeth on the file. Smooth cut is the finer of the two.

I am a bit unclear as quite what you want it for. Is it to clean the soldered joint in the web of the H-section? if that is the case you might want to consider if you would be better off with a riffler file which you might find easier to get into where it is needed.

Second cut is more coarse so may mark the brass but will be less likely to be clogged by the solder. I would go for the smooth cut as it will give a better finish on brass as long as your soldering is reasonable.

Looks like these might be about 5 or 6 mm square for a 6" length but you could always e mail or phone them.

The "cut" is the size of the teeth on the file. Smooth cut is the finer of the two.

I am a bit unclear as quite what you want it for. Is it to clean the soldered joint in the web of the H-section? if that is the case you might want to consider if you would be better off with a riffler file which you might find easier to get into where it is needed.

Second cut is more coarse so may mark the brass but will be less likely to be clogged by the solder. I would go for the smooth cut as it will give a better finish on brass as long as your soldering is reasonable.

Looks like these might be about 5 or 6 mm square for a 6" length but you could always e mail or phone them.

Thanks to both of you for the helpful answers !

Graham - I am hoping to file through one 'H' section to make a square slot for one of the flat sides of the other 'H' section to be soldered in+ but I take your point about the solder.

PUASHP - Yes, I think that a  smooth cut will do the job - after many years and much free advice from a great friend, I think my soldering could be described as 'reasonable' :jester:

+ I see now where the expression ' a picture is worth a thousand words' comes from !!

Graham - I am hoping to file through one 'H' section to make a square slot for one of the flat sides of the other 'H' section to be soldered in

In that case it is perhaps worth considering that a flat needle file will have at least one cutting edge on its narrow face. Then you don't need to worry about the square file being too wide for the slot you are filing, if that might be an issue.

If you want to clean a file used for brass, do not use a steel 'cleaning card', and only use the file for brass. The best way of cleaning it is to use a strip of brass, edge on, as a sort of chisel, and push it  in line with the teeth. The teeth will soon make grooves in the edge of the brass strip, allowing all the solder to be scraped out as you move the strip across. iirc, rubbing a piece of blackboard chalk into the teeth will prevent clogging, to some extent.

...Graham - I am hoping to file through one 'H' section to make a square slot for one of the flat sides of the other 'H' section to be soldered in+ but I take your point about the solder....

Illogical as it might seem, it's not a good idea to try cutting a square slot with a square file. The file may get stuck frequently and there's a danger of distorting the metal. Square files also have a significant radius at the corners so you won't get sharp angles. Far better to cut the sides with a piercing or razor saw, perhaps also a couple of diagonal cuts, then finish with a triangular file that will give nice sharp corners.

Nick

Archived