Steam and diesel fans eat your hearts out.

Gentlemen

This is an outstanding video posted on youtube. Blue Pullman fans you will love it. Steam fans ahhhh its a joy and love that funky music.

Now when I build a loco and add lighting to it and you would be surprised how many people on line and privately tell me this is incorrect etc. They never ran with lights on........the didnt have a light there........and so on.

Correct me if I am wrong here the only time a steam loco didnt need lights mounted was when it was on a siding.

Well have a look at this interesting video made in 1963 in colour during the day. Please correct me if I am wrong at 4.13 into the video is that a Southern loco with lights on? What a Southern loco with lights on during the day .....no way, its a fake etc. Well it has the discs so I can only assume it is Southern. You will also notice locos with their oil lamps on at 2.50 See if you can spot anymore. I am surprised how bright they are. From what I could see every steam loco had a light mounted.

It is called Snow (1963) and it is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/captainalbino#...f/2/cl4pJwcE7JI

It is also a great reference and has some of the best footage I have seen in a long time.

Fair enough is was after a blizzard and I will accept exceptional circumstances but my point is they sometimes did run with lights on during the day. I have another couple of old videos I have seen again with locos and their lights on during a summers day in the UK. (old footage)

From now on I have decided if anyone tells me having lights on is incorrect I will point them to this video.

Very pleased.

Martin

The film is on the BFI DVD 'Rhythm of Film', which also features a couple of other railway-related films created by Geoffrey Jones, 'Rail' being particularly interesting with great colour footage of Paddington in steam days. The music is a super-slowed-down version of Sandy Nelson's 'Teen Beat' from 1960.

Unfortunately Jones died in 2005, but his Guardian obituary has a lot of interesting information about his life and the making of these films.

Arp

• RMweb Premium

The southern loco at 4.13 looks a bit like a rebuilt Bulleid Pacific - probably one of the West Country / Battle of Britain type. That clever Mr Bulleid designed them to be equipped with a steam generator which provided power for electric lighting. The lamps were fitted front and back of the locomotive so that the headcode could be displayed at night / poor weather. Lights were also fitted at various other points to help maintenance activities and over the tender rear coupling.

The system was also retro-fitted onto some other Southern locos including those chosen for conversion to oil burning.

HTH

Archived