Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

Thanks for your comments on the Railtec coach numbers, I’m finding it very reassuring.

It was only by chance that I noticed on their website last week that they were offering the option of custom number sets - it even seems that five of each number are provided to allow for the cock-up factor, which is brilliant.

There are currently 27 kit-built coaches up in the loft that I have been running around numberless knowing that I would never make a job of setting them out individually, so there will be an order going in for two sheets of 12 sets. I’m just trying to decide which three vehicles to defer and to make sure I have got the right numbers for “handed” diagrams.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2023 at 17:19, Neal Ball said:

Todays Friday blog at the GWS Didcot is the 4th instalment of their blogs on the heavy freight locos, this time the 72xx and specifically their 2-8-2T no 7202. Apparently this loco has never steamed in preservation....

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/product.php/78/going-loco/730a31e21ffee607d52ca85790ae2a7f

We are told there are 3 72xx locos in preservation and a Google search shews 7200 at Quainton Rd; 7202 at Didcot and 7229 at the East Lancs Railway. None have steamed since leaving Barry scrap yard. These are mighty machines, lets hope they are back in operation soon.

Which was the excuse I needed to get 7233 onto the layout, seen here hauling 15 coal wagons and a Toad brake van.

72332-8-2TMillLane16-10-23.jpg.92ff5721a78ae43e52780b892f0877df.jpg

Loco no 7233 is seen bringing its train noisily into Henley-on-Thames:

72332-8-2T16-10-23b.jpg.89de5dfe7824ad944193c5d7298518b9.jpg

The wagons are a mix of weathered and pristine - with only 1 kit built wagon in this consist, seen here next to the loco. (Holton's of Henley-on-Thames).

The loco has left some wagons behind in the yard, the Toad is on the rear and he is now waiting for the road:

72332-8-2THenley-on-Thames16-10-23c.jpg.33e373ac7cef2ed32322ff8092ccf5cd.jpg

Included as part of the consist were these two wagons, which in the case of the Huntley & Palmers had the goal post coupling cut off and a Kadee no28 added: 

Huntley & Palmers (Hornby) and GWR (Rapido) coal wagons having just been coaled and in the case of the H & P weathered as well.

CoalWagons16-6-23.jpg.90f0e47131ce8667e3e0433a8f5d5e44.jpg

The caption below the phot of the 2-8-2T on Dainton Bank in the linked GWS piece  is incorrect.  The train is at Stoneycombe on the Down Main line climbing towards Dainton Tunnel.   And it wouldn'y have set back there to start away but would have left via the facing connection  out of the sidings behind the photographer.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, longchap said:

Wow, you can even see the fixing bolts !

Well done Steve @railtec-models, I'm making a list.

I wasn’t quite sure how the Metro plate was going to fix onto the tank. Bill you will be able to see this under the “naked” body! 

There are rivets underneath the plate, from the top and also from the side.

As you can see, they fixed very well. 

Both loco plates were “aided” by some wet gloss varnish underneath.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

Steve's  @railtec-models  3D number plates are so superb to look at and easy to apply I can't think why anyone would bother with traditional etched brass plates now.

Yes I agree Mike. I certainly won’t be using etch numberplates again.

This way, I get the cab number and the buffer beam number done in one hit.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Steve's  @railtec-models  3D number plates are so superb to look at and easy to apply I can't think why anyone would bother with traditional etched brass plates now.

Named locos until there is an alternative. All my recent nameless locos have used Railtec, but named locos still rely on 247.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

New arrival at Henley-on-Thames:

I have never had a 27xx Pannier tank loco from Hornby - until now that is

R3122x arrived today after "winning" it on eBay from Rails of Sheffield.

There were 3 of the 27xx locos shedded at Reading in 1936 which could have made it into Henley-on-Thames: 2747; 2777; 2784 - the latter was also there in 1930. However, 2747 is known to have been a regular performer on the branch, so eventually this new arrival will be renumbered. I will also be back-dating the livery, probably to the shirtbutton insignia.

I will also be adding lamp irons; crew; coal, glazed cab spectacle plates* and a new smokebox dart. Plus of course changing the decoder.

*There is a nice photo of 2723 at Swindon on GWR.org - with the spectacle windows open. I wonder if it's possible to replicate that. I have spectacle frames left over from the Metro tank build..... http://www.gwr.org.uk/nopanniers.html half way down the page...

27730-6-0PT27xxa.jpg.80f23ecc89292122e8ab3cf34cc86146.jpg

27730-6-0PT27xxb.jpg.60ba62d5f39ecdf9de1df9fd76a5c9a2.jpg

I have looked on-line as well as in the various books I have and can not see any images of 2747 - if anyone knows of any, I will be very grateful.

2747 Built May 1899 - withdrawn from Slough November 1945.

Edited by Neal Ball
dates added
  • Like 13

7 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

I'm constantly tweaking the process behind the 3d plates (and in my opinion they look quite different in the flesh than in photos). They're now on version 12 and have come a very long way since they were first introduced. If memory serves I think the process moved to its 12 iteration about 3 months ago. Typical turn-around time is a few days, sometimes even next day (can't say the same for Customs in every territory though!)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, railtec-models said:

.....can't say the same for Customs in every territory though!)

Lets not go down the Customs route eh Steve 🤣

Will you be able to do loco nameplates soon do you think? I guess getting the right splasher curve will not be straightforward.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

9 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Lets not go down the Customs route eh Steve 🤣

Will you be able to do loco nameplates soon do you think? I guess getting the right splasher curve will not be straightforward.

I think the Customs wait you just had was the longest I've heard about. I've had some folks in the likes of Canada and Aus and elsewhere in the EU have the transfers in hand within 5 days. Just depends I suppose.

As for steam loco plates, I've already done a few (unadvertised) of the oblong variety. If I know the dimensions and assuming they're of a straight-forward text, i.e. no fancy embellishments, then they're as easy as diesel loco plates. I do have the Nameplates of the Big Four book which specifies a lot of dimensions though, so that's helpful. But when it comes to the curved variety, then yeah, the different radii of splashers causes an absolute headache. I have done the odd one or two curved plates before (for Irish steamers, randomly), but I'll perhaps look to begin with the oblong type.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

New arrival at Henley-on-Thames:

I have never had a 27xx Pannier tank loco from Hornby - until now that is

R3122x arrived today after "winning" it on eBay from Rails of Sheffield.

There were 3 of the 27xx locos shedded at Reading in 1936 which could have made it into Henley-on-Thames: 2747; 2777; 2784 - the latter was also there in 1930. However, 2747 is known to have been a regular performer on the branch, so eventually this new arrival will be renumbered. I will also be back-dating the livery, probably to the shirtbutton insignia.

I will also be adding lamp irons; crew; coal, glazed cab spectacle plates* and a new smokebox dart. Plus of course changing the decoder.

*There is a nice photo of 2723 at Swindon on GWR.org - with the spectacle windows open. I wonder if it's possible to replicate that. I have spectacle frames left over from the Metro tank build..... http://www.gwr.org.uk/nopanniers.html half way down the page...

27730-6-0PT27xxa.jpg.80f23ecc89292122e8ab3cf34cc86146.jpg

27730-6-0PT27xxb.jpg.60ba62d5f39ecdf9de1df9fd76a5c9a2.jpg

I have looked on-line as well as in the various books I have and can not see any images of 2747 - if anyone knows of any, I will be very grateful.

2747 Built May 1899 - withdrawn from Slough November 1945.

Apart from not having to remove top feeds, there is much one can do to improve these charecterful engines, even sliding a new etched chassis under them if one is inclinded. There is also a 'how-to' on GWR.org with a Bachmann chassis and then there is the Swansea MRC article at https://srmg.org.uk/detailing-hornbys-ancient-opencab-pannier which is a good read.

@Graham T also did a cracking job over on his thread not too long ago, if you can find it!

Have fun Neal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, railtec-models said:

I think the Customs wait you just had was the longest I've heard about. I've had some folks in the likes of Canada and Aus and elsewhere in the EU have the transfers in hand within 5 days. Just depends I suppose.

As for steam loco plates, I've already done a few (unadvertised) of the oblong variety. If I know the dimensions and assuming they're of a straight-forward text, i.e. no fancy embellishments, then they're as easy as diesel loco plates. I do have the Nameplates of the Big Four book which specifies a lot of dimensions though, so that's helpful. But when it comes to the curved variety, then yeah, the different radii of splashers causes an absolute headache. I have done the odd one or two curved plates before (for Irish steamers, randomly), but I'll perhaps look to begin with the oblong type.

I dont need any at the moment Steve, but I will keep an eye on your website to check on progress. Of course, I would be after the curved ones!

26 minutes ago, longchap said:

Apart from not having to remove top feeds, there is much one can do to improve these charecterful engines, even sliding a new etched chassis under them if one is inclinded. There is also a 'how-to' on GWR.org with a Bachmann chassis and then there is the Swansea MRC article at https://srmg.org.uk/detailing-hornbys-ancient-opencab-pannier which is a good read.

@Graham T also did a cracking job over on his thread not too long ago, if you can find it!

Have fun Neal.

Thanks for this Bill.

Out of the two you have linked to above, the Swansea one looks to be the more comprehensive ideas to follow.

Recently of course here on RMWeb, I followed Grahams build with interest and will be going back over the details again.

As for building a replacement chassis, I might do eventually, but not at the moment. I do like the idea of daylight under the Pannier tanks as Mike @Coach bogie suggested - but I think all of that will be for the future.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, railtec-models said:

If you wanted to experiment with curved plates Steve @railtec-models  could I suggest starting with the upcoming Accurascale Manor?😇. I am sure there are a number of modellers like me who want to re-name their new loco to reflect the locale of their layout. In my case  7801 Anthony Manor is to be re-named 7817 Garsington Manor which spent the first half of its life at Croes Newyd -

so there is one certain order for you!

Hope you dont mind me borrowing your thread Neal to lobby for a shed that is a long way from Henley.😀

Best wishes

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john dew said:

If you wanted to experiment with curved plates Steve @railtec-models  could I suggest starting with the upcoming Accurascale Manor?😇. I am sure there are a number of modellers like me who want to re-name their new loco to reflect the locale of their layout. In my case  7801 Anthony Manor is to be re-named 7817 Garsington Manor which spent the first half of its life at Croes Newyd -

so there is one certain order for you!

Hope you dont mind me borrowing your thread Neal to lobby for a shed that is a long way from Henley.😀

Best wishes

All for the greater good @john dew good luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

@Neal Ball thank you and all the other regular contributors to Henley on Thames, Chuffnell Regis, ANTB, Little Muddle and other GWR layouts for providing great inspiration to my modelling. Having seen your upgrades to GWR Centenary Stock I'm taking the plunge in doing likewise.

2 weeks ago I was emptying stock boxes in preparation for my club's (Waverley Model Railway Club) exhibition and plonked my 11 Centenary coaches on my layout. After a succesful exhibition (and having dosposed of some surplus stock) I was having a tidy up and thought that not having used the Centenary stock for some while I would box it up for sale at our exhibition next year. 

But why? Having built one of @macgeordie excellent O.33 siphons (an O.11 & O.62 await in the queue), a Comet K40 and having a Roxey moudings K15 in the paint shop I looked at building Comet kits. Too heavy though - 10 kit build coaches would be too much for a King on my approx 1:50 helices, so would using Comet sides on Airfix coaches be the answer? Several hours research yesterday and an order to Wizard for 2 Brake Thirds (one right, one left) and 2 Brake Composites now sees the first set of sides and detailing parts on their way. The four Airfix brakes I have will be dismantled, cleaned and prepared for surgery.

Rodger

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, kingmender said:

@Neal Ball thank you and all the other regular contributors to Henley on Thames, Chuffnell Regis, ANTB, Little Muddle and other GWR layouts for providing great inspiration to my modelling. Having seen your upgrades to GWR Centenary Stock I'm taking the plunge in doing likewise.

2 weeks ago I was emptying stock boxes in preparation for my club's (Waverley Model Railway Club) exhibition and plonked my 11 Centenary coaches on my layout. After a succesful exhibition (and having dosposed of some surplus stock) I was having a tidy up and thought that not having used the Centenary stock for some while I would box it up for sale at our exhibition next year. 

But why? Having built one of @macgeordie excellent O.33 siphons (an O.11 & O.62 await in the queue), a Comet K40 and having a Roxey moudings K15 in the paint shop I looked at building Comet kits. Too heavy though - 10 kit build coaches would be too much for a King on my approx 1:50 helices, so would using Comet sides on Airfix coaches be the answer? Several hours research yesterday and an order to Wizard for 2 Brake Thirds (one right, one left) and 2 Brake Composites now sees the first set of sides and detailing parts on their way. The four Airfix brakes I have will be dismantled, cleaned and prepared for surgery.

Rodger

11 Centenaries….. wow that’s going to be some train - I’d love to have the space for full length trains.

I think I would need something like 20ft to model just the platforms at Henley-on-Thames without compressing the space.

Good luck with your build.

4 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

I also must add my thanks for giving me the kick I needed to get back on with passenger stock. I have been building parcels stock (inc a Hammond K15) for too long. Seeing Neal's recent coaches I dug out a clerestory H7 kit, I had acquired down here for a modest sum. Too much time on my hands, I dug out all my diner research and settled on unique 9519, which was rebuilt with the 'Royal' sloping ends, electric lighting and new bogie mounts. (Why can I never build a kit as the instructions?). Having created a lot of work, for myself, it is now ready for painting. I have a 70ft C38 to work on next.

Mike Wiltshire

H7(4).jpg.06b8471c0a59f92f453b666b1f057296.jpg

High praise indeed Mike thank you - my humble efforts with the various carriages are just me bodging along!

That H7 looks great.

I still need to sit down and work out how to do the slope on the Clerestory for my H7…… and there you are above getting into curves and everything!

Thanks also for the PM.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

I also must add my thanks for giving me the kick I needed to get back on with passenger stock. I have been building parcels stock (inc a Hammond K15) for too long. Seeing Neal's recent coaches I dug out a clerestory H7 kit, I had acquired down here for a modest sum. Too much time on my hands, I dug out all my diner research and settled on unique 9519, which was rebuilt with the 'Royal' sloping ends, electric lighting and new bogie mounts. (Why can I never build a kit as the instructions?). Having created a lot of work, for myself, it is now ready for painting. I have a 70ft C38 to work on next.

Mike Wiltshire

H7(4).jpg.06b8471c0a59f92f453b666b1f057296.jpg

Simply stunning Mike.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

11 Centenaries….. wow that’s going to be some train - I’d love to have the space for full length trains.

I think I would need something like 20ft to model just the platforms at Henley-on-Thames without compressing the space.

Good luck with your build.

High praise indeed Mike thank you - my humble efforts with the various carriages are just me bodging along!

That H7 looks great.

I still need to sit down and work out how to do the slope on the Clerestory for my H7…… and there you are above getting into curves and everything!

Thanks also for the PM.

Although I have 11 Centenaries in stock I'm "only" planning to build the 10 coach train. I have no current plans to build the 3 strengtheners but you never know... I'm fortunate in having a reasonably large railway room and the ability to run full length trains. Henley on Thames and Twyford were early considerations to build, having begun a Twyford layout in the loft of my father's house in the early 90s. It never got beyond track and soon got lost in the mists of time.

The K15 has its exterior paint, inside to paint, roof to add. Will I finish before my Comet / Wizard delivery? 

Rodger

IMG_2634.JPG

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kingmender said:

Although I have 11 Centenaries in stock I'm "only" planning to build the 10 coach train. I have no current plans to build the 3 strengtheners but you never know... I'm fortunate in having a reasonably large railway room and the ability to run full length trains. Henley on Thames and Twyford were early considerations to build, having begun a Twyford layout in the loft of my father's house in the early 90s. It never got beyond track and soon got lost in the mists of time.

The K15 has its exterior paint, inside to paint, roof to add. Will I finish before my Comet / Wizard delivery? 

Rodger

IMG_2634.JPG

I will add Twyford when I get my euromillions lottery win 🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1