Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

The last I heard, Dapol wanted to evaluate the sales of the mainline and city carriages first before pressing ahead.

That bodes well, I've bought two of the M&C toplights and I had absolutely no intention of doing so until the Sunday before last, looking through the thread it appears I am not alone in that respect.  I will most likely get a pair of the corridor versions.  That should be enough for this Southern modeller...

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

Have you tried Gibson's? For the wheels I mean.

Regards Lez.

No I hadn't tried there, but thank you.

1 hour ago, Star-rider said:

I too would be happy to be involved in splitting the cost of a Brassmasters bulk order for window grills, but let's see what the response is from Blacksmith first in case that's a more viable option.

With regard to 14mm wheels I usually just buy the Hornby or Bachmann 14.1mm ones which are always on the shelf somewhere. I don't know if this is some sort of Faux Pas with regard to GWR models but you  only actually see the bottom few millimetres! In fact I'm literally about to place an order somewhere - the Bachmann 36-033 are just shading it on price at the moment £17.95 for 10 axles at Rails of Sheffield.

Excellent thanks for the Rails comment. I'm placing an order with Rails....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Does anyone know what’s the score with 14mm dia OO wheels?

9 hours ago, Star-rider said:

With regard to 14mm wheels I usually just buy the Hornby or Bachmann 14.1mm ones

I generally use Hornby ones these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

David Geen kits sell this etch in nickel . Might be worth a call as he still sells some of his range.

GW/O1 - Double Door Grills

GW/02 - Large Single Window Grills

GW/03 - Small Single Window Grills 

GW/04 - Stowage Van Window Grills

Mike Wiltshire

grills.jpg.d3c72d4ae787d985461a20941475faf9.jpg

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, checkrail said:

When building my first brake coach I puzzled over this for a while until the penny dropped: it's so the guard can get his hand through to turn the door handle from the inside.

The exact number of GWR guards who went on to pursue successful gynaecological careers is still unknown to this day 😉

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to Dapol at Warley.. They said they were doing the Toplights..

Sales of the current coaches were positive, so they were going ahead. 

Fingers crossed. 2025 is fine as I've spent too much this year and it's only February! 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

Sales of the current coaches were positive, so they were going ahead. 

Fingers crossed. 2025 is fine as I've spent too much this year and it's only February! 

Thanks for this. 

I certainly know what you mean… I’ve just looked at my stash of carriage kits - there are six I have yet to start on!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, sjrixon said:

....... I've spent too much this year and it's only February! 

I couldn't simultaneously click on "like", "info" and "agree" all at the same time as "thanks"!

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Whilst waiting for the SRM to arrive, I fished the cylinders; soldered the axle pins and fitted the decoder and stay-alive.

At speed step 10, it runs very slowly.

It's only a short video - the decoder etc. has now been squeezed inside.

Edited by Neal Ball
typo
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 2

10 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks for this. 

I certainly know what you mean… I’ve just looked at my stash of carriage kits - there are six I have yet to start on!

I am down to my last two 'shorter' toplights. Only a few 70 footers left on the shelf. I never appear to have enough thirds when making up trains so Dapol could be solution. It depends if Mark Seward beats them to market with his Blacksmith C30/1

Mike Wiltshire20240229_065957.jpg.f7882eab09bd521a573dc5133334eadd.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I am down to my last two 'shorter' toplights. Only a few 70 footers left on the shelf. I never appear to have enough thirds when making up trains so Dapol could be solution. It depends if Mark Seward beats them to market with his Blacksmith C30/1

Mike Wiltshire20240229_065957.jpg.f7882eab09bd521a573dc5133334eadd.jpg

That looks very nice Mike. When you return to Aus, you must have a suitcase just if kits to build 😎

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

That looks very nice Mike. When you return to Aus, you must have a suitcase just if kits to build 😎

Plus others I pick up. I bought this pair in Aus. Not part of the plan but could not resist as complete with wheels

20240229_080004.jpg.c052d82823654946fd879acd55472359.jpg

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Whilst waiting for the SRM to arrive, I fished the cylinders; soldered the axle pins and fitted the decoder and stay-alive.

At speed step 10, it runs very slowly.

It's only a short video - the decoder etc. has now been squeezed inside.

Nice, smooth running Neal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Back on the subject of window grills, Mark Seward (Blacksmith) did come back to me following my enquiry and as promised, here’s the result.

Firstly, the 70’ First kit I was after was available as a etch only so I have placed my order. I didn’t enquire deeply, but it suggests that some etches are ready to go, so it’s worth making contact if there’s something you’re after. Cost to me for the etch only was £48.00, there are no prices on the website just yet but that will hopefully give you a clue.

He does indeed offer a brake van grill etch, price to me was £5.50. If you don’t need a lot of them this may be the way to go for a single etch.

Pete.

Blacksmith window grills.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

On 26/02/2024 at 10:27, Star-rider said:

Nice to see your carriage builds still coming along Neal.

Can I ask what you do (if anything) about the window bars / grills in brake coaches?

I bought a couple of the Brassmasters ex Martin Finney etches from an exhibition a couple of years ago but have exhausted my stock now.

These were described as "GWR brake van window grills" so were probably intended for a Toad rather than a coach, but something seemed better than nothing.

https://brassmasters.co.uk/images/Finney castings/E7.jpg

I understand that Brassmasters are exhibition sales only now, so I've no idea if I would be able to replenish.

A bonus question for an extra point - any idea what colour these window bars would have been painted in the 1930's?

I think I bought my most recent window grills from RailTec.  But I can’t find them on their website.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Penrhos1920 said:

I think I bought my most recent window grills from RailTec.  But I can’t find them on their website.

just had a look on @railtec-models’s website. Is it these?

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3397

these?

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=977

Or…..

IMG_9917.jpeg.dee3c05bb071f26b47a25d2db2be9182.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate it’s not correct but I used some off cuts of fencing for the window guards on my Hornby B set….

IMG_9919.jpeg.e81aaaec1a6ba046beb58eb139b9a8fd.jpeg

….as well as painting the drop lights and the addition of window decals….

IMG_9920.jpeg.7cb2dec9e37ed0da2d223d0df7e51931.jpeg

….steel buffers, modified close couplings and custom transfers from @railtec-models

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Have you fitted the smaller "scroll irons"?

BTW: That's the correct terminology - at least for the most visible vertical parts. In the prototype they are part of the suspension system that holds the body above the power unit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Have you fitted the smaller "scroll irons"?

BTW: That's the correct terminology - at least for the most visible vertical parts. In the prototype they are part of the suspension system that holds the body above the power unit.

Thanks Phil, Yes I fitted them and they were sufficient to get into Platform 2.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks Phil, Yes I fitted them and they were sufficient to get into Platform 2.

Oh yes, you said so. Duh!

(Sorry.)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1