Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

On 26/04/2024 at 05:30, Neal Ball said:

Thanks Rob. Probably the hardest part is getting enough weight into the loco. If your 2-4-2T is a normal white metal kit then you will be fine.

I'm afraid it's going to be one of my home brewed contraptions using a variety of materials, it will have a cast chassis and as much steel shot as can be crammed into the body.

On 26/04/2024 at 05:30, Neal Ball said:

It looks as if the leading bogie needs more weight adding to it, so that’s going to be a plasticard box made up with lead shot added. The idea being to stop the leading wheel riding up on the double slips!

I spring loaded my Beyer 0-4-4 trailing bogie with a bent piece of music wire from the offset pivot to the centre of the bogie, which stops it doing it's own thing when reversing over points.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks to Tony @brumtb for both this carriage and the body kit for the County tank.

C23Clerestoryall3rd27-4-24.jpg.ef5c235d932bedcc8a93a4408a846219.jpg

My pleasure Neal, it's great to see how well both have turned out.  Well done!

Tony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely pics Neal.  My Broome Hall started out as one of those Rood Ashton Halls split from a Shakespeare Express set.  Unfortunately mine runs like a dog at anything below medium speed.  How's yours?  

I think it's the only time Bachmann did a Hall with a small tender.  Nicely applied livery.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, checkrail said:

Lovely pics Neal.  My Broome Hall started out as one of those Rood Ashton Halls split from a Shakespeare Express set.  Unfortunately mine runs like a dog at anything below medium speed.  How's yours?  

I think it's the only time Bachmann did a Hall with a small tender.  Nicely applied livery.

Evening John thanks for the comments.

I couldn't remember which set it was split from, but now you say the Shakespeare, it rings a bell - a bargain at Hattons I seem to recall at the time....

Today mine was running ok - hunting a bit and not much control at the lower speed steps, but overall not too bad.

Yes I am pretty sure it was the only time they produced a Hall with the small Collett tender.... I really don't understand why they have left so many of their locos behind - the Hall is overdue for an upgrade - indeed the GWR as a whole seems to have been forgotten about by Bachmann.

Ho hum!

Thanks again, Neal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

To wrap up the Hall set of 'photos, how about this - waiting for the right of way from Platform 1 at Henley-on-Thames.

4965RoodAshtonHall2-5-24bw.jpg.d7bc2eeab5f3c66309a06f7f23746c82.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Very nice @Neal Ball and surely it can’t be too much longer to wait for our Dapol toplights.

Thanks Robin, it was nice to get the Toplights out on the railway after so many years of languishing. I need to change the bogies on the 3rd brake, they are using a 9ft Collet at the moment.

• Like 3

Your toplights look nice, better than the one and only attempt I had with a Slaters kit. I could never get the roof to sit properly on one corner. Personally, I won’t go there again and will hang on for the Dapol corridor versions to displace some older stock.

If it’s 7’ bogies that you are looking for old Airfix/Mainline/Hornby “B Set” coaches are a quick reasonable source, the coaches go for next to nothing on Ebay. I’ve a couple that I may put to market soon, but I know that as soon as I do I’ll wish I kept them to scavenge the bogies for a kit build.

Do you ever attempt the brown lining that was applied below the cantrail? It’s something I struggle with – I recently enquired of Railtech if they would consider producing a transfer for it, hopefully I will get a reply soon and will share the outcome if it is of interest.

Pete.

• Like 4

On 01/05/2024 at 21:33, Neal Ball said:

Evening John thanks for the comments.

I couldn't remember which set it was split from, but now you say the Shakespeare, it rings a bell - a bargain at Hattons I seem to recall at the time....

Today mine was running ok - hunting a bit and not much control at the lower speed steps, but overall not too bad.

Yes I am pretty sure it was the only time they produced a Hall with the small Collett tender.... I really don't understand why they have left so many of their locos behind - the Hall is overdue for an upgrade - indeed the GWR as a whole seems to have been forgotten about by Bachmann.

Ho hum!

Thanks again, Neal.

My Bachmann “Kinlet Hall” has never been a perfect runner, I put it down to being just a 3-pole motor.

Despite its “Desigin Clever” origins I much prefer to run my Hornby “Adderley Hall”, which is a lot smoother. At the time of its release it was a very good value loco, enough so for me to overlook some of the shortcomings in the moulding. If they ever re-release it, I may put myself in the queue.

Pete.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Star-rider said:

Your toplights look nice, better than the one and only attempt I had with a Slaters kit. I could never get the roof to sit properly on one corner. Personally, I won’t go there again and will hang on for the Dapol corridor versions to displace some older stock.

If it’s 7’ bogies that you are looking for old Airfix/Mainline/Hornby “B Set” coaches are a quick reasonable source, the coaches go for next to nothing on Ebay. I’ve a couple that I may put to market soon, but I know that as soon as I do I’ll wish I kept them to scavenge the bogies for a kit build.

Do you ever attempt the brown lining that was applied below the cantrail? It’s something I struggle with – I recently enquired of Railtech if they would consider producing a transfer for it, hopefully I will get a reply soon and will share the outcome if it is of interest.

Pete.

Thanks for the comments Pete. When the Toplights were being built I too remember they were a complete wotsit to build. Obviously the bogies were just awful.

I had also hand painted them which was ok at the time, but with my current practice of spraying and building better bogies they needed attending to. Hence seeing them again for the first time in ages.

Normally I do spray a small contrail line, but I’ve run out of masking tape…. The line will go on…. One day!

17 hours ago, Star-rider said:

My Bachmann “Kinlet Hall” has never been a perfect runner, I put it down to being just a 3-pole motor.

Despite its “Desigin Clever” origins I much prefer to run my Hornby “Adderley Hall”, which is a lot smoother. At the time of its release it was a very good value loco, enough so for me to overlook some of the shortcomings in the moulding. If they ever re-release it, I may put myself in the queue.

Pete.

All of my Hall class locos are usually well behaved, Rood Ashton was a little juddery, but not enough to worry about.

Thanks again for the comments.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating to see the 3D scanning and printing in operation. Then to watch Dan painting them:

• Like 8

On 04/05/2024 at 15:34, Neal Ball said:

All of my Hall class locos are usually well behaved, Rood Ashton was a little juddery, but not enough to worry about.

My Hornby Halls have all been excellent runners which is more than I can say for my Bachmann which was sold on. You can add lead flashing to the Hornby which doubles the haulage capacity. They are such good value and with a couple of evenings work, can be greatly improved.  When you read of the cost of current Hornby locos The Hall was really inexpensive. On my last visit to the UK, I picked up another one. I did not need it but for £50 for a new and unopened one, I could not resist. I cannot buy the wheels and motor for my unbuilt Hall kit for that.

My best runners are my Wills and Nucast ones which, being very heavy, are used on long freights and leaving the Hornby's for passenger turns.

Mike Wiltshire

hall.weight.JPG.8c005efbe3ef79899c79aa0ed6a4c3cb.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

My Hornby Halls have all been excellent runners which is more than I can say for my Bachmann which was sold on. You can add lead flashing to the Hornby which doubles the haulage capacity. They are such good value and with a couple of evenings work, can be greatly improved.  When you read of the cost of current Hornby locos The Hall was really inexpensive. On my last visit to the UK, I picked up another one. I did not need it but for £50 for a new and unopened one, I could not resist. I cannot buy the wheels and motor for my unbuilt Hall kit for that.

My best runners are my Wills and Nucast ones which, being very heavy, are used on long freights and leaving the Hornby's for passenger turns.

Mike Wiltshire

hall.weight.JPG.8c005efbe3ef79899c79aa0ed6a4c3cb.JPG

Thanks Mike, I clearly need to get some lead flashing!

The Hornby loco is very good - I could do with changing the steam pipesI have an old Crownline kit to upgrade the older version of the Hornby Hall.

Thanks again, Neal. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. I wonder if anyone has ever successfully mounted a Bachmann Hall body on a Hornby chassis?  I like everything above the footplate on my two Bachmann ones but feel that if I replaced with new Bachmann chassis there'd be no guarantee they'd perform any better. 

TBH, Winslow Hall (ex-Kinlet Hall) isn't bad, but Broome Hall (ex-Rood Ashton) is a limping dog.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Interesting. I wonder if anyone has ever successfully mounted a Bachmann Hall body on a Hornby chassis?  I like everything above the footplate on my two Bachmann ones but feel that if I replaced with new Bachmann chassis there'd be no guarantee they'd perform any better. 

TBH, Winslow Hall (ex-Kinlet Hall) isn't bad, but Broome Hall (ex-Rood Ashton) is a limping dog.

Have they always been like that John? It begs the question about why the same product can be so hit and miss.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

It begs the question about why the same product can be so hit and miss.

Indeed Neal. I find Bachmann mechanisms to be a bit of a lottery, Hornby ones a bit less so. I guess it's all down to quality control or whatever they call it nowadays.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

In the meantime I had a spare hour, so have started on replacement bogies for the Toplight brake 3rd.

These will be American Bogies, instead of 9ft Collett, which was convenient when I wanted to finish the carriage.

The parts have all come from Dart Castings.

IMG_7251.jpeg.5a60aa8f7f7a0d42308e241ce76f2950.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2