Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Happy New Year & the Pannier Tank 57xx.

Whatever you are doing tonight, have a good and safe NYE. 

For a quick diversion, I present my Pannier line-up... nos 5735/5737/5766 and 6406

I will give some thought on how to best "lobby" the manufacturers to see how we can progress through to a new Pannier tank to modern standards. By "new Pannier tank" I am primarily thinking about a pre-war designed loco that would suit Henley on Thames in the 1930's - obviously that wont suit everyone, so I need to be mindful of that as well.

As far as RTR is concerned; Bachmann have done the 57xx & 8750 and Hornby the 2701 tank. Recently of course we have the 64xx and 94xx, together with 15xx and 16xx due soon. The latter suffice for post war modellers - (My 64xx days are probably numbered for that reason).

We could of course include the earlier Saddle Tank 0-6-0PT. There's a bit of research to do yet!

It could all be academic if Hornby announce new Pannier tanks for the 1930's in 10 days time.

In the meantime, Happy New Year.

1449733887_Panniers31-12-21ar.jpg.49d392e5ac1e4382952c833db892c11f.jpg

518527834_Panniers31-12-21br.jpg.657e2b501bd45e0bd5dfa015c0821d7f.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Are you going for an overlay with the new sides or a complete replacement in the way Larry Goddard used to show?  I went for the latter when I did the 61ft brake third from the Mainline BCK, which got rid of the small bow along its length.  

The model as it comes is a scale 60ft6 (or there about) so its only 2mm or so of brass that needs removing.  EFD2F580-4FE1-48C8-A953-AB7FF697D687.jpeg.47c63def6cda2e808fbce8c72cac9ecd.jpeg

61ft Sunshine BTK side overlaying the Mainline coach body

The slightly trickier thing is that unlike with the BTK there is less of a large area of sheet metal at one end to remove it from (looking at Mike's drawing the ideal place to loose excess length is to the side of the double doors).  But being practical, I would probably be looking at half a mm from the door end and the rest from the third class end.  I'm not entirely sure which way I will go when I eventually tackle this one, to date I have only used Mainline/Bachmann roofs (either with shortened sides on the BCK or as a full kit.)  I do like keeping the rivet detail on the Mainline roof...

Thanks Rich, I am using the Brass sides as overlays only. I intend to do away with the Bachmann floor / underframe and build up a complete Comet base. Obviously complete with new Comet 6 wheel bogies.

At the moment my focus is to reduce the water tanks on the roof. They are almost flat, but I can still see a ridge!

Hopefully I can get back to it in the next day or so.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Neal Ball said:

(My 64xx days are probably numbered for that reason).

How prepared are you to overlook a discrepancy?  the 64xx splashers are so oversized to clear the OO flanges from memory they are actually pretty dammed close to a 54xx splashers.  So if you could live with the wheels being too small (in thorery the Bachmann ones should be 4ft7.5 whereas the 54xx was 5ft2) that might be an option (though I guess you are still left with chopping off the top feed bits)

It is definitely about time someone made a c21 57xx series offering both cabs, tanks with / without rivets and of course an option for no top feed.  Fingers crossed Accurascale are reading....

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2021 at 14:38, The Fatadder said:

How prepared are you to overlook a discrepancy?  the 64xx splashers are so oversized to clear the OO flanges from memory they are actually pretty dammed close to a 54xx splashers.  So if you could live with the wheels being too small (in thorery the Bachmann ones should be 4ft7.5 whereas the 54xx was 5ft2) that might be an option (though I guess you are still left with chopping off the top feed bits)

It is definitely about time someone made a c21 57xx series offering both cabs, tanks with / without rivets and of course an option for no top feed.  Fingers crossed Accurascale are reading....

Thanks Rich,

Not phased about the topfeed, I've done 3 already, one more wont hurt!

I need to add the possibility of backdating it to a 54xx  into my 57xx research.

Of course any loco work, can't get in the way of my current carriage project(s)

Have a good New Year,

edit: April 2022 

Unused photos from November / December 2022

Hall loco at Henley-on-Thames

1452661747_Hallloco4965r.jpg.8be5d977eb88ab69385c2a837b38001c.jpg

2039405244_K40FullBrakeno1198Didcot.jpg.0a7c1971514525c0e0ccd2a670b20537.jpg

K40 no 1198 at GWS Didcot

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 6

Hi Neal,

Here's wishing You and Yours and all Henley watchers a Happy and Safe New Year.

Best of luck with the Pannier tank lobbying, I would love to update my three!

Meanwhile, 2021 continues to be unpredictable, as our New Year plans have been completely turned on their heads by Covid:-

We expected Stephen, our younger son and his family to come down to us from Flintshire yesterday, stay tonight with his Brother Geoff and family, then further stay with us until Monday.

But early yesterday morning we all took Lateral Flow tests and Stephen's was positive! Panic to get him a PCR test which happened by 10.00am, and then we were sweating on the outcome. We were encouraged by him taking a second test later yesterday which was negative.

Finally the negative PCR result came through c13.15 today, so they are on the road now and will stay until Tuesday!

Peace returns!!

Just have to rejig the meal plan and sort bedding for Geoff to pick up as Stephen isgoing direct to them, not overnighting last night with us.

Still, mustn't grumble, at least we will see Stephen and family, which yesterday seemed unlikely!

Cheers for now,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I'm all for an upgraded 57xx pannier - or any of the variations - and look forward to a model to 21st century standards asap!  Personally I would like an 8750 in GWR livery and the top feed doesn't bother me for my post war period but it would be good for all the ramifications to be covered.

And the Bachmann 64xx does  make a good 54xx!  This is my 5402 - a WEStbury engine built using the Bachmann body on a High Level chassis. She runs as nicely as she looks so I'm very happy with her.

Gerry

2019-09-24 14.01.24 (2).jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Neal,

Here's wishing You and Yours and all Henley watchers a Happy and Safe New Year.

Best of luck with the Pannier tank lobbying, I would love to update my three!

Meanwhile, 2021 continues to be unpredictable, as our New Year plans have been completely turned on their heads by Covid:-

We expected Stephen, our younger son and his family to come down to us from Flintshire yesterday, stay tonight with his Brother Geoff and family, then further stay with us until Monday.

But early yesterday morning we all took Lateral Flow tests and Stephen's was positive! Panic to get him a PCR test which happened by 10.00am, and then we were sweating on the outcome. We were encouraged by him taking a second test later yesterday which was negative.

Finally the negative PCR result came through c13.15 today, so they are on the road now and will stay until Tuesday!

Peace returns!!

Just have to rejig the meal plan and sort bedding for Geoff to pick up as Stephen isgoing direct to them, not overnighting last night with us.

Still, mustn't grumble, at least we will see Stephen and family, which yesterday seemed unlikely!

Cheers for now,

Paul

It’s a nightmare Paul and one I suspect has affected lots of families this year. Hopefully you will all be together soon and that 2022 sees an end to the Pandemic.

Things are a lot better over here, although our case numbers have started to rise again, but nothing like the numbers in the UK.

13 hours ago, Bulwell Hall said:

I'm all for an upgraded 57xx pannier - or any of the variations - and look forward to a model to 21st century standards asap!  Personally I would like an 8750 in GWR livery and the top feed doesn't bother me for my post war period but it would be good for all the ramifications to be covered.

And the Bachmann 64xx does  make a good 54xx!  This is my 5402 - a WEStbury engine built using the Bachmann body on a High Level chassis. She runs as nicely as she looks so I'm very happy with her.

Gerry

2019-09-24 14.01.24 (2).jpg

Maybe there is life in my 64xx yet then.

That is a nice looking model Gerry, although I think building a new chassis would be beyond my soldering skills!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s a carriage day today at Henley on Thames:

Our afternoon pub quiz has been cancelled, so the opportunity is too good to pass up a day on the work bench.

This is the donor body for the H57 as I stopped for lunch:

IMG_9622.jpeg.18d725d24f63d42c2ea881549418cde5.jpeg976265297_IMG_9595(1).jpeg.016f4d673e87593580f1bf71c1fb1c7a.jpegIMG_9576.jpeg.4574699f2d48b4443bdf43d6089e6ff4.jpegIMG_9575.jpeg.d324d9f1626739be3b700f1a5f633ee0.jpegIMG_9574.jpeg.c0c9d0d03058567a4fd91f6999c67300.jpeg

Seen together with my home made sanding stick - courtesy of Costa Coffee!

The water tanks on the roof have been sanded down and although a lot of work, have finally gone flat.

edit: April 2022 - I have included all the H57 photos

H57 Restaurant 8-2-22.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
photos changed
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

In other news:

The part from Greenwood model co for the turntable, is still stuck at customs. It’s clear that the documentation Mike provided with the shipment is not up to scratch. Something he still doesn’t seem to grasp.

edit: April 2022 - the Sunflower photo 🙂

Sunflower.jpg.0dce0fe7eee351347abde7704cd7035a.jpg

I need to plant the seeds for this years sunflower crop

Edited by Neal Ball
photo added
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

It’s a carriage day today at Henley on Thames:

Our afternoon pub quiz has been cancelled, so the opportunity is too good to pass up a day on the work bench.

This is the donor body for the H57 as I stopped for lunch:

F4BE0CC6-BBED-4543-8847-A7B7FA57E166.jpeg.05e9668a3407eca77e855039ca0f0a23.jpeg

Seen together with my home made sanding stick - courtesy of Costa Coffee!

The water tanks on the roof have been sanded down and although a lot of work, have finally gone flat.

Looking good Neal.  I find coffee stirrers incredibly useful; I actually bought a big box of them!

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

H57 update

One side is almost done, just needs final fettling…. 

and with some double sided tape

edit: April 2022 - I have added all my H57 photos above.... so why not add a few Panniers instead 🙂 

1946648436_Panniersfilmstrip.jpg.738c07b6bb93ad96aea946f4338ef049.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
photo added
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

H57 carriage update:

The second side has now been done and is ready for fixing in place.

At the same time I have added filler into the old ventilator holes, then added the holes for the new ventilators.

271496280_H57Restaurantcarriage.jpg.f5404c7bacc87d96adf3ab2a3a2919d2.jpg

edit: April 2022 - Having already posted the H57 photos, I have added the photo that I later found in GWRJ - The Restaurant carriage is very grubby when compared to the carriages either side.

Edited by Neal Ball
photo changed
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Not much progress today….

Although, I have drilled out the holes in the bogie frame and this is now folded up, ready for soldering possibly tomorrow.

I wasn’t happy with the filler on the roof so that has been done again and after about 1.5 hours isn’t really dry. Hopefully that will be ok in the morning and I can sand it down and move on.IMG_9669.jpeg.7c0883749448a7b80cc408552c1e6356.jpeg

IMG_9669.jpeg.8c315de117b34d0b493bc8b8b4c49415.jpeg

IMG_9668.jpeg.20c43e1f69911cac7d6fdbaa4c038801.jpeg

IMG_9667.jpeg.6c6b8f8f5b84d68e0283194dc414f5aa.jpegIMG_9665.jpeg.6e1d4e0e6dc3c34e057fd670e78c68ca.jpeg

IMG_9664.jpeg.98c570dd7fe9a57e9a704343dddc8ae6.jpeg

IMG_9663.jpeg.062dca42e4ac4230abffe4a4cc84d7c4.jpeg

edit April 2022 - photos changed

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Todays, the day!

At 07:00 this morning (8am local time) Hornby are announcing their 2022 range... followed 1/2hr later by Rapido announcing some Titfield items. there has been much speculation because Rapido slated a 7:30am time slot, whereupon Hornby brought theirs forward from 10am to 7am.

Much as I would like some Titfield items, I can not justify paying (I think) £300 for a loco; carriage; toad and an OB  bus.

We watched the film again yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am therefore ready to start typing "nothing for me" ; "interesting launch" ; etc. etc.

On both Facebook and Youtube, people are being very vocal that Hornby have recently increased their prices - I wonder if the same people are laying into the clothing company Next, who also recently announced price increases. No I thought not.

It seems very fashionable to knock Hornby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Todays, the day!

At 07:00 this morning (8am local time) Hornby are announcing their 2022 range... followed 1/2hr later by Rapido announcing some Titfield items. there has been much speculation because Rapido slated a 7:30am time slot, whereupon Hornby brought theirs forward from 10am to 7am.

Much as I would like some Titfield items, I can not justify paying (I think) £300 for a loco; carriage; toad and an OB  bus.

We watched the film again yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am therefore ready to start typing "nothing for me" ; "interesting launch" ; etc. etc.

On both Facebook and Youtube, people are being very vocal that Hornby have recently increased their prices - I wonder if the same people are laying into the clothing company Next, who also recently announced price increases. No I thought not.

It seems very fashionable to knock Hornby.

Nothing GWR this year except the Loriot, which is only there to annoy Rapido. (I’m ignoring the ancient tooling of Lord of the Isles) so nothing for any of us! And to be honest I’m not unhappy about that. :sad_mini:

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Harlequin said:

Nothing GWR this year (I’m ignoring the ancient tooling of Lord of the Isles) and to be honest I’m not unhappy about that. :sad_mini:

I had just started to type exactly that.... 

Did I miss something?

Whilst there are new items for the LMS; LNER; Southern... nothing Great Western. How odd.

But I also thought the Rapido "announcement", was very odd. Not their usual flair and fanfare.

Oh well, such is life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I had just started to type exactly that.... 

Did I miss something?

Whilst there are new items for the LMS; LNER; Southern... nothing Great Western. How odd.

But I also thought the Rapido "announcement", was very odd. Not their usual flair and fanfare.

Oh well, such is life.

Had the Loriot Y previously been announced?  duplication of Rapido's at a similar price point I know which my money will be going on...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Had the Loriot Y previously been announced?  duplication of Rapido's at a similar price point I know which my money will be going on...

I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hornby are not listing the GWR livery version on their website, the BR liveries are due this Spring, with a price of £23.49 which includes a container.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Two releases (GWR and BR) at £39 each, same prototype as Rapido for which there were only i think 2 wagons built.  Also looks like they have modelled it with the brakes on!  Presumably they needed it for their knock off Titfield range, 

Slide172.JPG

This copied from the Rapido page on the Rails website: The GWR built just two of these unusual looking vehicles to Diagram G39, No. 41989 in 1937 and No. 41990 in 1939.

• Informative/Useful 4

So much for all those folks who claim that the market is flooded with GWR models. If you want a large loco in BR livery perhaps, but I've been casting around for a new loco lately and decided to buy secondhand or modify existing models.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Folks,

Lets just draw a line under the Hornby Announcement, and move on!

At least there will be one less drain on our wallets this year?

Onward and Upward, in all things GWR and WR!

Cheers All,

Paul

Agreed, but you know that we're likely to be spending it on secondhand GWR items on eBay instead? :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Folks,

Lets just draw a line under the Hornby Announcement, and move on!…..  ….

Yes indeed, no point worrying about it.

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Agreed, but you know that we're likely to be spending it on secondhand GWR items on eBay instead? :D

Unlikely! I’m more likely to be looking at the Comet website…. What else can I use redundant Bachmann/ Hornby models for….

• Like 7