What loco wheels Gladiator Glenalmond

SMR CHRIS

Hi all RM web 7mm's in need of some advice info re loco driving wheel crank throw

I have just taken delivery of a Gladiator Kit LNER B8 A1 Glenalmond and the loco uses 5'7" wheels 18 spoke what is not indicated in the kit is what slaters driving wheels to use as there are several crank throw variations available from slaters 9"to14" I from what I can tell

Dose anyone know the crank throw so I can order the correct driver's or the correct Slaters part #

Interesting the kit advises the front bogie wheel Slaters part #7839 and the tender #7851 but not the drivers just lists the size to use as 5'7" 18 spoke

The Slaters list for this size wheel is #7876xxx 8 options

Any info on this loco's wheeltype great fully received

post-14985-0-09079500-1419066501_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris!

I was going to suggest calling Slater's, but I think you're in Australia which would make it awkward.

So, I dived into my copy of Mike Sharman's "Wheel Specifications for the Modeller" and I think the Slater's reference 7867 will fit for what you want. They match the specified throw, number of spokes and diameter.

Perhaps it might be wise to email Slater's for confirmation. I've always found them very helpful and knowledgable.

• RMweb Premium

Glenalmond crankthrow is 13" according to the GA. Beware of the Sharman book for inside cylinder locos though - Mike assumed that the wheel crankthrow was always the same as the cylinders. Seems to be so in this case but many have a much smaller cranthrow in the wheels.

Glenalmond crankthrow is 13" according to the GA. Beware of the Sharman book for inside cylinder locos though - Mike assumed that the wheel crankthrow was always the same as the cylinders. Seems to be so in this case but many have a much smaller cranthrow in the wheels.

Good point. Sharman quotes 24in throw (which I am reliably informed means the total throw as the wheel revolves, so dividing by two gives the figure Slater's use - don't ask me: I only learn this stuff from folk who are supposed to understand it!).

It may be one of those inevitable compromises, like the wrong number of spokes Slater's insist is correct for the LMS Duchess drivers...

Good point. Sharman quotes 24in throw (which I am reliably informed means the total throw as the wheel revolves, so dividing by two gives the figure Slater's use - don't ask me: I only learn this stuff from folk who are supposed to understand it!).

It may be one of those inevitable compromises, like the wrong number of spokes Slater's insist is correct for the LMS Duchess drivers...

Special thanks to both Heather and Michael for the info

The base "Slaters 7867 5'7" 18 Spoke (LNER V4, 3, 1, N2, 1, K1, 2, 3 A1) 12" PB", at 12" throw will be the one then as they don't do a 13" throw the 1" in scale terms is quite acceptable.

I realy appreciate the assistance as Heather worked out I am in Australia so a bit disconnected as far as easy supply of British O scale models and the Aus $ to the £ exchange is very poor so can also be very expensive, I was lucky to get the kit from a modeller in Australia (who purchased it in April this year then decided not continue In O scale) I got it at a realy good price, it's going to cost more for the wheels than I paid for the kit.

Thanks again

Happy Christmas Modelling

Chris

Hello Heather,

the Duchess wheels are OK it's the Princess wheel that are wrong.

Archived