7mm Class 73 Kit

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi All

I've had a good search of the internet looking for a Class 73 kit but cannot find one, however Im sure I have seen one before

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Oh Joe !!!! What have you done by joining the 7mm ranks ? It is all down hill here from now on Friend !!!

I have just purchased my 2nd Heljan 37 this week, I have got to pick up the a 31 over the Christmas hols from Rod Morgan "West Kirby Town" fame, and I have 2 x Easy Build DMU kits to get my teeth into in the New Year ... As yet I am just looking and still a bit undecided whether to go O gauge or not yet ;-) "Winky smiley thingy"

Best regards Buddy

Craig

*** edited because iPhones are ####ing useless to post on ***

I'd have thought a 73 would have been a good candidate for a JLTRT kit - one cab moulding , one roof , two sides. That would also allow them to do both 73/0 and 73/1 variants (which have different bodysides) , and I imagine a 73/0 might appeal to steam era modellers as well.

JLTRT seem to choose very odd prototypes for their collection.

Can anyone actually explain the Clayton, as a choice?

Or the economic case for the "twins" 10000 and 10001?

Because I can't.....

Yet, when I asked for Falcon, which, from Heljan, sold out it's run THREE times in 4mm scale, I was treated like a lunatic........go figure.

Guest 40-something

Yes I am part way through a build at the moment. If you want a 73 in 7mm then this is your only choice unfortunately. Will get some stuff on my thread soon.

Hi Brian

How would you rate the kit in terms of difficulty, ie is it suitable for someone new to 7mm modelling and someone who is 'hard of soldering'?

I'll look forward to seeing some info on your thread!

Oh Joe !!!! What have you done by joining the 7mm ranks ? It is all down hill here from now on Friend !!!

I have just purchased my 2nd Heljan 37 this week, I have got to pick up the a 31 over the Christmas hols from Rod Morgan "West Kirby Town" fame, and I have 2 x Easy Build DMU kits to get my teeth into in the New Year ... As yet I am just looking and still a bit undecided whether to go O gauge or not yet ;-) "Winky smiley thingy"

Best regards Buddy

Craig

*** edited because iPhones are ####ing useless to post on ***

Craig

Its a thought thats been festering for quite a while and I've decided to bit the bullet!  Getting a bit fed up with 4mm and I just cant see 2mm!  I like the bulk of 7mm, dont like the bulk of the prices though  :O

So far I've only picked up a Slaters LMS/BR Brake van but I have a plan drawn out (11'6 x 2') and all the track components ready to order (C&L handbuilt points with Peco flexi)

Here is a link to my workbench thread with the 73 on it http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1458-brians-7mm-diesel-workbench-Heljan-stuff/page-88

The kit is no more difficult than any other of these PMRMP kits as they are all the same with a folded body/roof and etched ends (some have castings in the ends) that you need to fold. Bogies and inbetween bits follow the same pattern in all the kits. The thing is do you want to cut it about like I am doing or build it as it comes to get the hang of these kits first.

Hi,

I did several years ago now build a PRMRP class 73 kit and they make up to be  a nice loco. However i did make new windscreens as the ones in the kit have the outer window top edges being at an angle. These should be parallel to the bottom edge.  

Once i had done this is vastly improved the appearence of the kit. Unfortunately i didn't take any pics and sold it many years ago.

Rob

Because I can't.....

Yet, when I asked for Falcon, which, from Heljan, sold out it's run THREE times in 4mm scale, I was treated like a lunatic........go figure.

I guess the LMS "twins" appeal to the steam era modellers who seem to be in the majority in 7mm scale,

Apologies for the thread hijack , but it seems that on the one hand , the market is trying to attract modellers with easy entry level options such as Heljan, Ixion and Lionheart , but then appears to stifle any further development due to a lack of "joined up" thinking - I'm sure if someone wants to model some bucholic GW branchline they are well provided for , but if , for example , you buy a BR blue class 33 , it's a bit out of place with no fellow SR items unless you resort to kit building , which I think is one of the big things that puts people off 7mm scale modelling. I'm not asking for each and every item to be available RTR as with other scales, but some common items which do go together must only be a good thing?

A 2 car DMU would be a good candidate , or staying with the SR theme , a 2-EPB or similar.

"Craig

Its a thought thats been festering for quite a while and I've decided to bit the bullet!  Getting a bit fed up with 4mm and I just cant see 2mm!  I like the bulk of 7mm, dont like the bulk of the prices though   :O

So far I've only picked up a Slaters LMS/BR Brake van but I have a plan drawn out (11'6 x 2') and all the track components ready to order (C&L handbuilt points with Peco flexi)"

Joe, my sentiments as well, I wasn't truly happy with the 4mm, I toyed about going EM, then my plans changed for the better with regards to having more space, so I have bitten the bullet and decided 7mm is the way to go for me, I have gradually got a little bit of stock together to give the me impetus to have a tinker "or more if truth be known".

I will keep on a very minimal amount of OO for the time being "models that are special to me etc" but when I have sold off the majority of my OO stock, I will start seriously planning and getting into the 7mm, yes it is pricey when compared with OO, but for me OO items are getting so detailed they are getting too fine to handle, I seem to pick up a modern DMU model and something seems to ping off the buffer beam or underfloor details, it just seems to fragile when handled these days .... may be I just a hamfisted ape ???

As many 7mm Modellers have said on here, you will certainly have a lot less in numbers of stock, but the satisfaction in gained from having a model that has presence as it stands there in front of you !!

Merry Christmas Joe, and a Happy New Year to you for next year, I hope next year is bit more positive for you compared to some of the problems you had this year.

Craig.

Hi,They are quite easy to build and as Brian says all similar in the way they go together. Usually needing some reshaping of castings to get the right fit. Below a couple I have built, E6012 I finished last May.RegardsAl

Ooh Captain Cuttle that is a very nice Ed you have there, I always thought there was something about SYP liveries, they seemed to sit well on whatever loco or unit it was applied to.

Happy modelling

Craig

Because I can't.....

JLRT's choices seem to depend on what Mr W wants for his trainset!  Sorry for the hi-jack but feeling a bit peed-off with them at the moment (see my JLRT thread on the G0G forum).  Ray.

Archived