Bachmann Mk1 roof ribs

sub39h

In the first two decades of their operation, the roofs are smooth, even in photos reproduced well above 4mm scale on the page. In later life with corrosion and repairs the seams may have become more visible, but that's not their original condition. Having the roof smooth in 4mm is the best representation in my view

Here is a 5 or 6 year old E1975 that has recently received blue/grey livery. The weld lines are very visible, although of course there are no raised ribs as depicted by Bachmann. Maybe they could be achieved by printing/painting a slightly darker grey.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/3551633492/in/set-72157603653607671/

Just wait a little while for the fall out of exhaust, track dirt and brake dust to build up, and those roofs will be one even smooth tone...

A smooth printed on paint effect to represent newly painted colour variation would be a solution, easily dealt with by those who have a paintbrush and the paint-on filth ready for the usual weathered appearance.

Chris, you have the mag file available, so you may defend yourself with the evidence of what was printed in the reviews when the product was first released. I gave up on the mags over a decade ago, not least because the reviewing was so weak.

Actually I don't have any mag files. I'm not sure that I was involved with model mags when the Bachmann Mk1s first came out - it was a long time ago - maybe when I was at MRC (which I don't hold any file copies of). Anyway, I doubt that I would have made much fuss about the roof ribs as I've never found them offensive. Others would make up their minds from photographs, I'm sure. I suppose it's one's definition of 'weak' but I've never written or published a review I considered to be weak. Careful, considered, reasonable, are my watchwords with reviews. Even so, I've lost count of the number of times I had SK, GH etc bending my ear down the phone because the review I considered fair and reasonable was viewed as anything but, in Margate or Barwell. Maybe you were reading the wrong magazine.

CHRIS LEIGH

I'm not sure that I was involved with model mags when the Bachmann Mk1s first came out - it was a long time ago - maybe when I was at MRC

It was nothing like that long ago! MRC was long gone when the Bachmann Mk 1s appeared. But they were so much better than the extant Hornby & Lima versions that they recieved justifiable praise and comment on the roof ribs was that it was a minor issue when set against all the extra roof detail including filler pipes etc which had not been seen before on RTR coaches.

Keith

Archived