N gauge brass etching and rolling stock

acko22

Hi Gents,

Looking for advice I am after getting a few items put together for my layout but am unsure as to what I should use and where I could get the relevant etching from!

Any advice / knowledge would be great! I am looking at the following:

Royal mail PCV

Network rail DBSO

Nework rail DVT

DRS Class 20 Pair

Class 89 (possibly using a class 60 chassis)

Class 92 (again using a class 60 chassis)

before I forget again the Netwrok rail Class 150

If anyone has any advice as to what to use or knows where I can readily get the relevant etching I would be very greatful

Cheers

Acko

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gents,

Looking for advice I am after getting a few items put together for my layout but am unsure as to what I should use and where I could get the relevant etching from!

Any advice / knowledge would be great! I am looking at the following:

Royal mail PCV

Network rail DBSO

Nework rail DVT

DRS Class 20 Pair

Class 89 (possibly using a class 60 chassis)

Class 92 (again using a class 60 chassis)

before I forget again the Netwrok rail Class 150

If anyone has any advice as to what to use or knows where I can readily get the relevant etching I would be very greatful

Cheers

Acko

Hi Gareth

PCV - Hurst Models or Ian Stoate Models (no longer produced but you can still find odd ones around)

NR DVT - Dapol are scheduled to release one soon

NR DBSO - I'd be surprised if Farish don't do one at some point

NR 150 - PH Designs does a conversion kit for the Farish 150

Cheers, Mike

I'm pretty sure CJM do or did the 89 and certainly the 92, based on resin castings. Certainly not a cheap option! I don't imagine the castings would be available for DIY.

TPM did a kit to convert an old style Farish 20 to DRS condition, not sure if it would suit the new one. The decals are exclusive - I think R3sprays have the rights at the moment. I'd be tempted to sit tight and see if Bachmann/Farish tool up the DRS 20s, given their popularity.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info looks like I have some work ahead of me!

I had heard that Dapol were possibly releasing a NR DVT but not found anything to go with the rumblings but Mike you are a font of knowledge N gauge wise so I will sit it out and see if the rumble becomes a model, and the NR DBSO I know they are doing a Scotrail one as I have the coaches already. Just thinking of using some surplus MK2 coaches and maybe save a pound or 2!

I know CJM do the 89 and 92 but at 500 pound a pop well that could get me another Pendo to go with the one I have pledged for so pure economics say no to CJM models! I had heard that there may be some other surpliers out there that do the bodies to go on to a chassis (namely the class 60 chassis).

Will have to look at the TPM kits and the decals, while I hope there may be a RTR one (preferably pair 1 live and 1 dummy) the have been in service for some time and as yet nothing so no really holding my hopes up but tmie will tell I suppose!

Thanks guys for you help

Acko

I think many of the CJM models were originally collaborations with TPM, with Bernard (TPM) selling kits in some instances. However I think this was on a one off basis, and the only complete kits that he had listed for the past few years were the 87 and 26. I think TPM is still more or less out of action as Bernard had a bit of trouble after a house move, hopefully some elements of the range might be available again soon.

There are other manufacturers who have offered complete resin bodies in N, but I don't think any did the 89 or 92. BH Enterprises might be worth asking though.

You'd certainly want a resin body for both these classes, forming those shapes from brass would be nigh on impossible

• RMweb Premium

Someone on the n gauge forum did a resin body for a 92 designed to fit a Farish 60 chassis. I've got one and it looks great to my untrained eye, just need to paint it!

Edit: too slow, you've now got one!

Archived