Japanese Standard Pointing and Calling (Video)

emac

Thought this may be of interest hopefully its not been posted before

http://www.allaboutlean.com/pointing-and-calling/

"videos capturing the Japanese Pointing-and-Calling standard. Pointing and calling is a safety standard that started with Japanese train operators but now is widely used in industry. The idea is that whenever you confirm something, you not only look at it, but also point at it and call out your observation"

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting what other railways do, but is each employee monitored by CCTV all the time?

I think in the UK pointing would lead to repetitive strain injury claims everywhere, an H&S nightmare!

• RMweb Gold

It is one way of being mindful of what you are doing. It also helps the recollection of what we have already done.

If for example you lock the front door on the way out but while doing so you are thinking of something else, then when you are a few yards down the road, you can't be 100% sure. You think you locked the front door, but you really have to go back and check,

If however you "mindfully" lock the door, perhaps saying to yourself "I am mindful that I have just locked the front door", then you can go about your journey without worrying about whether you locked it or not.  It works for me.

Hi,

I didn't realise it was used all the time, I saw a video once of a driver doing it as part of his checks when preparing a train in japan.

But actually,as Colin_Mcleod says above it is a good way of ensuring you've done something and I should think somewhat safer. I often do it in the evenings before bed when I go around checking that the ovens off etc.

Simon

Some TOCs in the UK suggest drivers use a variation on this , known as "Risk triggered commentary driving" - as the name infers , it is suggested that it is mainly used where a risk exists (ie cautionary signals , speed restrictions) rather than continuously. 

Drivers involved in safety-related incidents are usually required to adopt it as part if their return to work processes , with it's useage being monitored when assessed be managers etc.

Archived