The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corgi announce Sunderland MK3 N461

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Have just been looking at the Corgi range for 2015 and much to my delight found that at last they are doing this model

http://www.corgi.co.uk/shop/new-for-2015/aviation-archive-1/short-sunderland-mkiii-ej134-461-squadron-raaf-1943.html

In case you have never read the story this web site is well worth perusing

http://www.n461.com/

Its a great read - surely one of the greatest single aircraft air battles and most unlikely survivals of the war. Is in Ivan Southall's book They Shall Not Pass Unseen which I first read as a lad - left a lasting impression.

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil for the links.

My Dad built me an airfix Short Sunderland when I was a kid, and he recounted this same story, one I've not heard since. Fascinating and exhilarating tale well worth a 30 minute read.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil for the links.

My Dad built me an airfix Short Sunderland when I was a kid, and he recounted this same story, one I've not heard since. Fascinating and exhilarating tale well worth a 30 minute read.

Neil

Cheers Neil - glad it struck a chord, remember seeing it in the Airfix instructions too

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Know what you mean Jim but its a lump of solid metal

Havent got time to build Airfix kits and do model railways too -its my 60th next year so I could drop a few very (un)subtle hits!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

To me this is THE announcement of the Hornby group for next years new products and eclipses their railway announcements. And I say that as somebody that thinks their railways announcements this year have been very positive and a very good program. The Sunderland is a glorious looking machine, we regularly have a day out at Hendon and walking through the Sunderland never loses its appeal no matter how many times I've done it. Although it is not cheap, it will be a hefty beast and compared to typical model railway releases it seems pretty reasonable all told. The old Airfix kit can be made into a decent replica with work but the tooling shows its age.

Its a great read - surely one of the greatest single aircraft air battles and most unlikely survivals of the war. Is in Ivan Southall's book They Shall Not Pass Unseen which I first read as a lad - left a lasting impression.

Cheers

Phil

Unfortunately the book appears to be unavailable via Amazon and other retailers - Trawling second hand bookshops this afternoon :)

• RMweb Gold

Italeri make a plastic kit with some brass etched parts which I've had sat on my desk for a year now...

Still need to start building it

IIRC thats a Sunderland 1 with the two open cupolas on the dorsal surface rather than the power operated turret? Was looking at one the other day, imagine it would make up rather nicely. The Corgi MK3 also has all the appropriate ASV radar gubbins which the Mk1 lacks.

Phil

Who remembers the Hendon machine when it was on display at Pembrook Dock near the castle.

It was the highlight of many a holiday spent in that part of Wales in the 1960's, somewhere I have pictures of it with steps to the rear door (going in) the exit from memory was at the front.

To me Pembrook dock seems the right place for it not some inland museum ( sorry Hendon )

Unfortunately the book appears to be unavailable via Amazon and other retailers - Trawling second hand bookshops this afternoon :)

There's one on Abebooks at the moment, from Australia. As Phil Bullock says, not cheap!

My uncle had been a flight engineer on Coastal Command Liberators, and we had a couple of 'aircraft recognition' models as ornaments in the house - a Liberator and a Sunderland. I have no idea where they went. In fact, with my dad and two uncles having been in the RAF, we had quite a few 'souvenirs', all now gone unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

Truly amazing story of N/461.

Sunderlands were the ultimate flying boat. There are some good books, you have to track them down but there was an Aeroplane icons special in WHSmith last time I was in the UK.

Corgi did a 1\144 diecast model which is quite good, the 1\72 will be massive & bigger than the Catalina I picked up in Modelzone for $30 or so.

As for real ones, you could go in the cockpit of the Sandringham conversion at Solent sky in So'ton, its very atmospheric as unrestored. The one at Duxford is also good.

I'd love to see & hear one fly- ML814 in Oshkosh is the only hope.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Having primed some interest in this a really good story of the "flying Porcupines" as the Luftwaffe called them is here

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2013/10/07/short-sunderland-the-flying-porcupine/

There is no mention of the N/461 story, but there is of an earlier 1940 Norweigan encounter with six Ju-88s.

Hmm plenty of prototype pictures there - shall I recreate Dad's excellent 1960s airfix kit knowing I can pick one up for less than £20?

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Having primed some interest in this a really good story of the "flying Porcupines" as the Luftwaffe called them is here

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2013/10/07/short-sunderland-the-flying-porcupine/

There is no mention of the N/461 story, but there is of an earlier 1940 Norweigan encounter with six Ju-88s.

Hmm plenty of prototype pictures there - shall I recreate Dad's excellent 1960s airfix kit knowing I can pick one up for less than £20?

Neil

That's a great link Neil - many thanks for sharing

What a classic aircraft - one of only two front line aircraft serving with the RAF that was in service on both 1st September 1939 and 9th May 1945 and still serving its original designed purpose - rather says it all I think.

Have been in the airframes at both Solent Sky and IWM - both of which give an excellent impression of what it must have been like to fly in one. Would love to see one airborne again but suspect that's a bit too much to ask...

Phil

Archived