RMweb

Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

And the benefits of a walk in section as opposed to CRAWLING UNDER, hahahah

I'm Looking forward to the start.

Tut tut Andy,

Recommending something that we know did not work!  Well we tried walk-in on Coopers Dale and Marston but after a year or two gave up when we realised just how complicated it would be involving lining up 16 ends (4 tracks) we decided it would not work so resorted to crawling without completing the structure ... but after 4 years working on it we are about to have an 'external control area' for shunting for those who are unable (or unwilling) to crawl under to take part.

Cheers, Peter 

• RMweb Premium

Peter, I'll "give it a go" with regard to the lift-up section - it should be straightforward AND it'll save the limbo gymnastics needed to get under the boards! Although my new boards will have 25cm more space underneath than in KL, I fully understand that crawling and bending is to be avoided as you get older.

At this moment I certainly couldn't bend down to get underneath a baseboard to an operating well.

Jeff

• Like 3

I agree with that, Jeff.   I never, in my worst nightmares, imagined that I would be unable to bend or kneel.  I think you are being very wise to cut out the bending or crawling under layouts.  There are very few advantages in getting old and decrepit, although you do get a bus pass.

Derek

• Like 1

I agree with that, Jeff.   I never, in my worst nightmares, imagined that I would be unable to bend or kneel.  I think you are being very wise to cut out the bending or crawling under layouts.  There are very few advantages in getting old and decrepit, although you do get a bus pass.

Derek

And your Pensioners discount at B & Q, (other stores may offer the same) :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no: . 

:sungum:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Peter, I'll "give it a go" with regard to the lift-up section - it should be straightforward AND it'll save the limbo gymnastics needed to get under the boards! Although my new boards will have 25cm more space underneath than in KL, I fully understand that crawling and bending is to be avoided as you get older.

At this moment I certainly couldn't bend down to get underneath a baseboard to an operating well.

Jeff

Jeff,

Ours really was a 'walk-in' section - and was to be on rollers ...  but, as above, the mechanics of it were  presenting a nightmare.  Following your 'lift up' comment I decided to see if the section I put in for Rothleigh some time ago still matched up ... it did but I used big brass hinges and 4"x 3" support.  Scenic hiding of them will be the key but at least it works.  

The other section to look at is Andy's Pencarne viaduct lift out - a lovely fit made so by moving a 'huge' baseboard slightly.

Peter

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Peter.

I don't think I was clear enough in my description - it'll be obvious when I put the plan up (not posting that until some construction has happened!)

The entry to the operating well will simply be a piece of (roughly) 3' x 2' board that can be lifted out (no hinges) and is aligned/makes contact at either side. Should be easy enough, and follows the KISS principle.

Jeff

• Like 5

Agree there Jeff.  Keep it more than simple.  The two bridge sections, across the door,  on Kirkby Malham just slot in between two permanent base boards.  They slide up to a wooden stop and, although I haven't got that far, to stop them coming out of alignment I thought about a small brass bolt on each end.

Piccie is of the Grassington branch coming off the scenic section.  The main line bridge is to the left.  You can see the stop.  As you said KTSS.

Derek

post-6110-0-39353900-1438894153_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

How about sitting the lift out section on two (or four) patternmakers dowels? This will mean acurate line up every time, and you can then use them for electrical connectivity....

Just a quick thought

Andy G

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions for the lift-out. It'll be a while before I get to that bit, but it's good to see how others have tackled a similar situation.

I've always accepted the wisdom - repeated by many of you on KL - about a non-crawl access, but had my doubts about how to fit one. Principally because I didn't like having to compromise/lose a couple of feet of Fell! But, to hell with it! Long term practicality is what counts.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I use the Male / Female electrical plugs for both alignment and power, the second set of wires on my one below is for the 16V AC feed to the Storage Yard.

Andy,

I would have thought that those choc-block style male/females wouldn't provide accurate line up, because of how 'floppy' they are.

How have you secured the sleepers to prevent them from walking about?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

I recently had a tongued and grooved floor board cut down the middle glued them onto the bottom of two baseboards and used them to align the tracks which themselves were soldered to (forget the name at the moment) but copper on a base with the centre line cut through to the base which base itself was nailed dot the baseboard.

Cheers, Peter  

Andy,

I would have thought that those choc-block style male/females wouldn't provide accurate line up, because of how 'floppy' they are.

How have you secured the sleepers to prevent them from walking about?

Andy G

Hi Andy, the ones at the Storage yard end were glued, and once dried the rails cut though and the scenic end is pinned. TBH I've had the section in and out probably 50 plus times so far, (at least 5 times this morning alone), and they self align with no problem at all and NO derailments, and that's also on a curve and a pair of Curved Points to go through as well.

• RMweb Premium

I'm enjoying reading the input on here, and it's about an issue that won't be relevant for months. Glad to see you're all so keen and interested - what are you going to be like when I actually start building something?!!!

Good stuff, lads!

Jeff

• Like 5

I'm enjoying reading the input on here, and it's about an issue that won't be relevant for months. Glad to see you're all so keen and interested - what are you going to be like when I actually start building something?!!!

Good stuff, lads!

Jeff

It's all down to the 7 P's.

Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents P!ss Poor Performance

• Like 5

Jeff, have you seen Shaun's thread, Grim up north, his mate has a timber yard, and Shaun is cutting the trees for his OWN BASEBOARDS, and the pic of the wood cutter will have you wondering.

On the subject of lift out sections, I have done another Video today, now that the Yard is wired, the filming is CR*P as I'm trying to hold the camera and the controller so some is NO QUITE A LOT is jumpy and blurred.

Its being downloaded on to You Tube as I type but there's another 112 mins to go yet before I can add it to Pencarne. I must say that although there are some small problems minor niggles to sort before I paint the rails or ballast, I'm more than pleased, and Shunting the Yard today was better than expected as I didn't try any moves before filming, so what you see is what you get.

Jeff, I hope your back is getting better, you have a lot of wood to cut very soon.

EDIT =  IT COULD BE A LONG NIGHT! :O 

DOUBLE EDIT = I SWITCHED IT OFF AND STARTED AGAIN THIS MORNING AT 7 AM.  :locomotive:  :locomotive: :locomotive:  

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It's all down to the 7 P's.

Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents P!ss Poor Performance

I'm not sure if I've come across the 7Ps previously, Duncan. Good one - I like it!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget to move the 'scopes before you start converting that chunk of rainforest into baseboards Jeff! Light pollution is one thing but sawdust is a whole other ballgame! :no: :no: :no:

Regards

Bill :angel:

Yes Bill, the OTAs will be coming indoors - into my bedroom, in fact - to get them well out of the way. The tripods etc can stay outside.

Having said that, I'm going to do 99% of the cutting outside the bunker. For KL it was nearly all done in situ and the mess created - probably to health as well - by all the sawdust, over a period of a few months, was horrendous (despite a regular clean up). So cutting will be outside. Screwing will ll be inside, in private with the doors closed. The mind boggles!  :angel:  :angel:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy, they always say that "a picture is worth a thousand words" and this is even more applicable with a video, blurred or not. It's one of the great things about the Forum that just a simple comment, diagram, photo etc can help solve some gripe that's been driving you mad for ages!

My back is still sore but much better than 5 days ago. I'm off to dad's tomorrow so, after another week of doing relatively bu99er all, it should be ready when the wood is here. I'm still planning to order the stuff around the 20th, so in a couple of weeks the beautiful whining of the mitre saw should be heard throughout the neighbourhood!

Have fun with your shunting!

Jeff

• Like 7

PLQ for the 7 P's and me- although I had heard it (ha ! are you bloody kidding, the DS had _informed_ us of it from basic on...) So, I am used to it as well.

Jeff, as regards cutting wood, most wood dusts are not harmful in normal consumer amounts.  But, if you can avoid the dust, it can be quite fine and won't do you any benefits to breathing it.  There are exceptions- western red cedar is one which is notable, along with some exotic hardwoods, as things that are actively toxic.  Somehow, I doubt you are building your benchwork from western red cedar...

I have a pair of lift out sections, both of which have curved exits (one is NX'd with curves, the other one is straight in, then has a pair of turnouts on it exiting curved).  Regular barrel bolts are not accurate enough to align the tracks, but close fitting brass rod in tube is.  Be aware that if you have curves over the exits, the length becomes critical because of angular difference too- so the section has to be in both x and y correct location.  I have seen dowel pins used for locating, but I would not use them for power- I use 4 and 6 pin cinch jones connectors for mine.  (four on the 1 track one, and 4+6 on the 3 track exit one)

James

• Like 5