Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi All.

I'm in Cumbria for the next week, so won't be posting much - especially having to rely on the trusty mobile!

Keep the posts coming and I'll see if I can entertain you with some wood-cutting when I return!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

Morning Jeff,

Hope you enjoy the week at dad's and that you are able to rest the back whilst there.

Look forward to the start of the thread 'proper' - I'm hoping to be able to use it as a tutorial!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock.

Your post made me laugh. Not sure you should try and follow my method.... TWO of us doing the same thing would guarantee global deforestation!!!

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to getting started and, fortunately, my back seems to be improving.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Have fun at your dad's Jeff! Just to help you on your way, there's no sign of rain over Cumbria.....so far! In fact it's clearing up quite nicely and I'm getting ready for the Perseids!

Regards

Bill

I'm in Barrow and didn't bring any equipment with me. But the weather looks kind, so I'll endeavour to enjoy the meteor shower in the old-fashioned way, by simply standing and staring for a few hours!

I hope you have good conditions in far-away Morecambe. Let's hope Spode doesn't intervene!!

Jeff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47105471@N05/20288500520/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47105471@N05/20483012261/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47105471@N05/20288699178/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47105471@N05/19855817033/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47105471@N05/20468011502/

Those are of my lift out, showing how I manage it.  The biggest issue is at the bookshelf end, where the cut is at an angle and has to be in the right x & y position, otherwise the train derails.

James

• Like 4

I'm in Barrow and didn't bring any equipment with me. But the weather looks kind, so I'll endeavour to enjoy the meteor shower in the old-fashioned way, by simply standing and staring for a few hours!

I hope you have good conditions in far-away Morecambe. Let's hope Spode doesn't intervene!!

Jeff

Evening Jeff and Bill,

For the second night running, I've set a Perseids alarm to make sure I'm looking at the optimum time, having marked the point of origin and guess what It's BLEDDY raining, and to make matters worse, the 'peak predicted nights', tomorrow and Thursday, are looking cloudy too! Not looking good for this year so I'll have to get back to fine tuning my layout drawing instead!

Just look after that back of yours Jeff,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock.

I went outside for an hour at about 2am this morning. Managed to see 8 Perseid meteors. Not too impressive but the sky was sparklingly clear. Looks good for tonight and it should see a few more meteors as we reach the peak in the early hours. Hope you get a clearance and manage to see something!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

James, thanks for your post. Will have a good look when I don't have to rely on my mobile for internet access!

Btw, can I request that any further meteor discussion moves to the Asylum? My fault - didn't realise we were in the KL2 thread. And I promise that there'll be action in here before the month is out (unless the wood merchant has run out of stock!! )

Jeff

YOUR CONFUSED? I don't even know what day it is half the time.

Question is,

Will there ever be a KL2?

Will work commence THIS year?

Has Moon watching taken over as the New Hobby for poor Jeff?

Does Moon watching have more STREET CRED than playing with Model Trains?

Will the World end at noon? :no:

Is there a Log jam on the Road to Willington?

• RMweb Premium

Andy - be patient my son, be patient....

Until a couple of weeks ago my enthusiasm for starting the woodwork was a little low. Still very enthused with the photography but the anticipated Bunker work is something I'm really looking forward to.

Look back at this post at the end of August (2015!) and see if anything has happened!!

Now do your penance... 100 Hail Jeff's and a rosary!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's all down to the 7 P's.

Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents P!ss Poor Performance

I know this as P!ss poor planning prevents perfect performance, which can also be re-arranged to perfect planning prevents p!ss poor performance...

Thanks to a deputy head in my secondary school for relaying it to us oiks!

He also told us of a story of when he was doing his army service that he saw a man set fire to himself, and another man grabbed a fire extingusher to put him out, but that the extingusher had been refilled with petrol.... He was a teacher who belived in telling it as it was....

Andy G

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I know this as P!ss poor planning prevents perfect performance, which can also be re-arranged to perfect planning prevents p!ss poor performance...

Thanks to a deputy head in my secondary school for relaying it to us oiks!

He also told us of a story of when he was doing his army service that he saw a man set fire to himself, and another man grabbed a fire extingusher to put him out, but that the extingusher had been refilled with petrol.... He was a teacher who belived in telling it as it was....

Andy G

Adds a whole new angle to the phrase "going out with an old flame"!! Apologies if that's very politically incorrect!

The amount of time I've spent planning KL2 should mean the build goes like a dream. I know from experience that this will certainly NOT be the case!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: Well, the first batch of wood has now been ordered and will, hopefully, arrive on or before Friday. Irrespective, it's time to check the stock of screws, drills and the like.

I'm going to adopt a policy of building sections THEN putting pics on here. This means it won't be like KL where every f@rt and burp was reported, almost in real time. I'll see how it goes and amend the thread as necessary.

Jeff

• Like 7

Update: Well, the first batch of wood has now been ordered and will, hopefully, arrive on or before Friday. Irrespective, it's time to check the stock of screws, drills and the like.

I'm going to adopt a policy of building sections THEN putting pics on here. This means it won't be like KL where every f@rt and burp was reported, almost in real time. I'll see how it goes and amend the thread as necessary.

Jeff

Looks like I need to go shopping tomorrow otherwise the world shortage of screws will mean that I won't be able to work for a while. :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'd hoped to have started cutting some wood and making a few of the base L-girders today. However, the wood merchant's lorry turned up minus one third of my order - though the items were on the invoice....

"We thought we had them in stock, but didn't - will Monday be ok?"

Not much I can do about it so "Oh thank you, Monday will be bl**dy well totally marvellously fantastic. I DO appreciate your service!!" (Smoke coming out of every orifice!!)

Jeff