Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Enjoy your stay in Cumbria, the Layout can wait.

Cheers Andy.

I've had a great time over here, but I've also had plenty of "thinking time". Stepping back for a while and mulling things over really is beneficial - I hope!

The only "downside" is that once the Fell is built I'll need to make a few walls - from thousands of bricks...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff.

Just been catching up eating my lunch.

Yesterdays activity saw the new kitchen lights installed here. These are Led warm white  affairs which I have wired to dimmers. My first thought when the switch went on was that I wish I had the spare cash to install such lighting in the train room! 

We have two banks of three, one over the cabinets and the other down the middle. We kind of splashed out at $35 each but they should pay for themselves.

They're only 12.5 watts but a good 675 lumens and  dimmable to 5%. The box boasts 50,000 hours of life! 

Of course they probably don't sell these particular lights over there but it's good to know how advanced it's getting.

Enjoy the time with your dad.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Shaun.

I've just been looking at some photos of the KL layout room and the (lack of decent) lighting is very noticeable. Even the use of "average" fluorescents has made a big difference and I'll be looking to improve things further.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning folks.

I'm back home and I've just been into the bunker for the first time in over 2 weeks. Bit cool in there, but my first thought was the scale of the project. "Bloody hell, you must be crazy" - or something similar - surfaced from my subconscious!

Well, it wouldn't be fun if it wasn't a challenge, would it? Looking forward to tomorrow's wood and insulation board delivery. Let's hope it's early so I can give the mitre saw a bit of morning exercise!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Cheers John.

Dad's still struggling a bit, but seems to be more spritely than 3 weeks ago. And mentally on "good form".

As for the Bunker, I've now marked out some of the ply that I'll be cutting tomorrow when the next delivery arrives. I think I'll do a couple of days work before posting any pics and see what people reckon.

Jeff

• Like 5

Good to have you back on site Jeff, and it's pleasing to hear that dad is now well enough to be left for a time! Take as much time as you want my friend, the results will doubtless be working worth waiting for! I've left some drivel over on the asylum that you will possibly wish to comment on/correct.

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS, just looked and you were posting there as I wrote this!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 3

Welcome back Jeff,

What's this about tomorrow!? "Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today" lack of materials is no excuse. :jester: Seriously I am really looking forward as others are to the build, just love it!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Update: Timber and insulation board arrived at 2.30pm, giving me 90 minutes (before the sun set) to chop stuff up to allow me to make some progress today. Ironically, weather-wise, the best day (according to forecasts) this week, so a bit frustrating.

I do have a couple of things underway - nothing spectacular - but that's for another day or two's time.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You are going to have to do something about the tails of the garage doors Jeff, they are seriously going to spoil Lunefell.

I've an angle grinder kicking about, would take about 3 mins to lop them off...... ;-}

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You are going to have to do something about the tails of the garage doors Jeff, they are seriously going to spoil Lunefell.

I've an angle grinder kicking about, would take about 3 mins to lop them off...... ;-}

Andy G

Andy, you could be right. However, I may use the frames as lighting supports and I'm afraid they're here to stay.

I'll just have to make the Fell look so good that you don't notice the frames - or hang some black material over them!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Surely he'll need them to hang the heavy storm clouds  :jester:

You're actually close to the mark, Neil. But it's the new frames that'll be holding up the storm clouds, via the backscene, not the metal runners.

As promised, here's the "method in the madness" for the top part of the new frames:

post-13778-0-12038400-1448576601_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff Sorry for butting in on KL but I think the Fell top needs to ROLL more.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

Andy, since when have you been "butting in"?....

Thanks for the advice - don't worry, the diagram I posted was just to indicate that the "sticky-out joists" at the top of the frame would carry a flattish expanse of fell. There was a comment (Jason, I think) expressing concern about the Fell's appearance if it didn't level off.

I've been in the bunker since 6, working on the Fell. A bit of progress. Maybe a pic or two this afternoon - I'm out for curry this evening!

Please continue to post comments as you see fit. I can only improve this project if I have people from outside taking a dispassionate view of what they see!

Jeff

• Like 5

Its looking very good Jeff, although I have looked in almost daily, I've been so busy connecting Trewenn to Pencarne Junction, and also Getting West Shed ready for the Mince Pie Steam Gala on the 12th / 13th Dec that I haven't actually posted, which is extremely remiss of me.

Did the Builders put in EXTRA DEEP FOOTINGS under the Garage to take the weight of all that Timber and Plaster. There must be Half a Ton of Screws alone, hahhaha

Edited by Andrew P