Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

The ballast in between the sleepers outside the rails in the photos seem very dark. Oil from axle boxes?

Of those two pictures the fishplates look much blacker at the Ais Gill one - more recently greased? I guess how much you darken them is therefore a matter of choice.

Yes, I'm not keen on having the outside bit darker than the 4'. So I've kept them about the same, with the rail area significantly darker than the 6'.

I've done some further paintwork and made a few small changes since the last pics. Nothing too drastic. I'll put a couple of pics up at around 10pm when things have dried out.

I'll stop asking for opinions in a day or so. I just want to make sure that I have the technique sorted then I'll get on with it.

I've also just added 2' of DAS shoulder at the embankment end - near the overbridge. Again, there's a fair bit of ballasting that can be done before I hit the "rodding zone".

Jeff

• Like 4

Nice work Jeff.

An observation:  I would not be shy in adding some sort of variation to the 6ft; I suspect in real life, it would not have remained homogenous for too long.  Some localised staining, or even *shock!* a small clump of weed or two every couple of metres, would (for me) lift the authenticity.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary.

:onthequiet:  <-----was meant to be a plain smiley... why aren't they the first one in the list????

Scott

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Jeff.

An observation:  I would not be shy in adding some sort of variation to the 6ft; I suspect in real life, it would not have remained homogenous for too long.  Some localised staining, or even *shock!* a small clump of weed or two every couple of metres, would (for me) lift the authenticity.

:onthequiet:

Scott

Hi Scott.

Your observation is duly noted and, as always, is on the mark. There's certainly a place for the odd weed or two, something very easy to achieve with static grass.

Photos of such weed "infestations" are rare for the much-cared-for S&C of the early 60s. I need to look at my image collection with some "lateral viewing" when it comes to detailing;it's easy to miss the obvious.

BTW, I still haven't located that fellow in green, though there are still boxes unopened since the 2014 house move where he and his mate may be hiding!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think you might be able to go a lot browner Jeff, that photo of the crab certainly seems to have more of a browny tint from the edge of the sleepers either side, with just the cess being cleaner. Both photos show black on the sleeper ends, so that could be common all along the route.

I disagree with weed patches, as neither of those photos show any, and the local lengthman would have had them out asap.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Steer clear of weeds on the mainline. Since the advent of static grass, people seem to have gone 'weed crazy', especially in goods yards, not thinking about where weeds would (and wouldn't) grow, where they would be cleared, etc. In my humble opinion, some layouts are ruined by the seemingly irrational obsession with covering everything with grass (although to be fair, some of the layouts are crap anyway, and the grass just makes them look like a hairy crap :D).

I wouldn't go much further with the ballast staining as you are in danger of going too far, past the point of no return. In the late 50's / early 60's, the S&C was still a main line and looked after; many of the (especially colour) photos were taken in the mid 60's where the line was not as important, maintenance was slipping and I imagine most haulage was by diseasel rather than steam (nobody bothered taking photos of the diseasels, which could give the impression of the use of steam traction being more prolific than it was).

• RMweb Premium

As I said in my reply to Scott, it's very difficult to find any mainline photos with weeds in place. But sidings and adjacent to the cess in places, yes.

Ballast colouring - I'm very happy with the way it looks, so I don't think it'll get any darker. There ARE numerous colour photos up to 1968 showing the mainline in a dirty brown state, but also areas that were relatively clean. So my "medium" approach is the usual compromise!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Jeff.

:onthequiet:  <-----was meant to be a plain smiley... why aren't they the first one in the list????

Scott

Weeds in the 1960s - very, very, unusual on even a secondary route let alone on a mainline route.   It was time of nicely defined cesses which were kept clear and level, and well looked after ballast and six foots plus, of course, no lineside jungles (they came after teh end of steam).

As I said in my reply to Scott, it's very difficult to find any mainline photos with weeds in place. But sidings and adjacent to the cess in places, yes.

Ballast colouring - I'm very happy with the way it looks, so I don't think it'll get any darker. There ARE numerous colour photos up to 1968 showing the mainline in a dirty brown state, but also areas that were relatively clean. So my "medium" approach is the usual compromise!

Jeff

The 'dirty brown' state is almost inevitably going to be brake block dust from locations where trains have been braking or where freights have had wagon brakes pinned down - so more noticeable on steeper falling gradients.

• RMweb Gold

In the early 60s I certainly remember the running lines on the GWR being weed free there was some on odd sidings but most sidings were reasonably clear. I cannot say about the S&C but the Midland main lines around Wellingborough were weed free then even the Stewart and Lloyd's lines in the Irchester quarry were less weed strewn than many layouts.

I would suggest that you mind find the odd patch looking a bit cleaner where they had re-packed at a joint but this would be the exception. It is hard to remember the colour and of course it looked different on a wet day to a sunny one. In those days layouts with the track ballasted were considered finescale and the colour of ballast was never a topic in the model press so you didn't think to record such details. However the colour in those last photos of the viaduct look very acceptable to me and do not jar with my memories. Add the  warm sunshine the sound of bees the noise of the signal wire or the signal itself if near and the faint sound of an approaching train from the rails what pleasure for a young lad.

Don 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In between digging a large hole in the garden (I'm prone to insanity!), I've managed to weather a bit more ballast and "spice up" the embankment approaching the viaduct a little.

Should get a pic or two on here by 9pm.

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Jeff

Seeing the latest photos, the work you've done on the ballast looks really good.

Trying to analyse colour photos, especially those dating back to the 60s, will drive you crazy...so many variables, including the quality of the original print.

As Jason said, no need to over do it. Plenty of other jobs to do and you can always make alterations at a later date if you decide the colour isn't to your liking.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi JeffSeeing the latest photos, the work you've done on the ballast looks really good.Trying to analyse colour photos, especially those dating back to the 60s, will drive you crazy...so many variables, including the quality of the original print.As Jason said, no need to over do it. Plenty of other jobs to do and you can always make alterations at a later date if you decide the colour isn't to your liking.RegardsAlan

Hi Alan. Good to have you back - you're one of my original KL posters....

Agree about the colour photos. Given the varying colour balance between photo processing labs (remember garish holiday snaps?) and the different colour response of emulsion film (I always preferred Agfa to Kodak), it's very difficult to make an accurate colour judgement.

I'm quite happy with the ballasting result.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: No work in the Bunker today as I've been digging a pit for the concrete foundation for my observatory.

Must admit, I'm knackered! And I'll be hand-mixing the stuff tomorrow, so that will keep me out of mischief!

Normal service - more ballasting etc will resume shortly!

Jeff

Update: No work in the Bunker today as I've been digging a pit for the concrete foundation for my observatory.

Must admit, I'm knackered! And I'll be hand-mixing the stuff tomorrow, so that will keep me out of mischief!

Normal service - more ballasting etc will resume shortly!

Jeff

Still not bought a mixer yet? You love making life hard Jeff. I would lend you mine if you lived closer mate.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Still not bought a mixer yet? You love making life hard Jeff. I would lend you mine if you lived closer mate.

Thanks Mike. I think I'm away with the mixer at the moment....

I DO enjoy the physical exertion, but digging out around 2 cubic metres (shall we say, at least a couple of tonnes) of soil and clay today reminded me that I'm not as fit as I used to be. Never mind. the weather's good for a change and it's all for a good cause. Though having my telescope "on tap", and "readily available" (make of those comments as you please!) may well lead to less time in the Bunker.

Back to KL2, I'm delighted I've now established a technique for the mainline ballast. I hope the rodding goes as well, when the time comes. I see Andy has had a few problems on Trewithen with the rodding. I've a standard to live up to, as the plan produced for me by my "consultant" is a work of art and I'll have to live up to it!

I'll post some pics of the "pit and the concrete" in the Lounge tomorrow.

And btw, pity you didn't live down the road - I'd come round, knock on your door and ask your wife "can I play with Dent, please"!!

Jeff 

• Like 4

Don't be put off by my efforts with the Rodding Jeff, it really is so very easy, if you have 3 hands and a UHU that doesn't run all over your fingers..

Looking forward to seeing how you do yours mate.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't be put off by my efforts with the Rodding Jeff, it really is so very easy, if you have 3 hands and a UHU  doesn't run all over your fingers..

Looking forward to seeing how you do yours mate.

Cheers Andy.

I suspect I'll need the dexterity - and arms - of an octopus when I start playing with bits of brass!

I'll certainly be posting plenty of pics as things proceed...the good, the bad and the ugly...

"Coming to an S&C thread near you, April 17"

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

If the S&C is that near us while not pop in to our open day at Gresley, cheers, Peter

Yes Peter, and if it's near to Mike (Dent) I can also call in to borrow his cement mixer!!

I've done my stretches and warm-up routine.....into the garden for calisthenics and concrete yoga! 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

In the early 60s I certainly remember the running lines on the GWR being weed free there was some on odd sidings but most sidings were reasonably clear. I cannot say about the S&C but the Midland main lines around Wellingborough were weed free then even the Stewart and Lloyd's lines in the Irchester quarry were less weed strewn than many layouts.

The impression I've got from photos is that it was pretty much all weed-free at the start of the 60s on the S&C, starting to creep in from the mid-60s onwards. By the end of steam there were quite a few weedy and grassy sidings (they were probably out of use by then too). Weeds on the main line still didn't exist at that time, I think that's a much more recent phenomena, probably related to bans on weedkillers that leave everything toxic for ages.

• RMweb Premium

The "pit" in the garden is almost filled with concrete, and although there'll be some activity there tomorrow, I should be able to get into the Bunker to do a bit more ballasting.

I hope so as I need a break from shoveling gravel and cement! 

Apologies for the lack of "action"!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you any photographic evidence of this intriguing garden activity? (away from this thread obviously)

Morning Lee.

Just about to post some pics in the Lounge. The job is still incomplete, but most should be done by tomorrow. Then I can get back to some railway work!!

Jeff