City Centre Cut and Cover

Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

One that never got built was the West Riding Lines that would have crossed Bradford City centre if the Midland railway's scheme had gone ahead in 1897.  It would ahve lead from a tunnel for about half a mile across the city centre to low level platforms at Forster Square.  Plans for it are in the West Yorkshire Archives in Wakefield.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

and if you want to see how it should be done, a section of the carrs lane tunnel can be found here.

http://archiseek.com/2014/1899-building-gwr-tunnel-carrs-lane-birmingham/

When I looked at that link I found that four items down the list was part of my old Junior School. That wing was only 56 years old when I left, but is now about twice that. AAARGH. 

Was the tunnel at the  the Five Ways end on the Central goods branch in Birmingham built this way?

I also seem to recall that there used to be a gap between Suffolk St and Holliday St tunnels until the Crown Plaza was built.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I believe some of HS2 will be cut and cover but you might have to wait a long time for evidence of that!.

• RMweb Gold

I also seem to recall that there used to be a gap between Suffolk St and Holliday St tunnels until the Crown Plaza was built.

Andy

Yes, Suffolk St and Holliday St tunnels were joined up when the hotel was built. There was a gap between them on the north side of Holliday St.

I'm pretty sure some of the tunnels in Glasgow are cut and cover.  There are several disused ones as well as the surviving lines through Central and Queen Street low level stations. 

The section between Central & Argyll St Stations is directly under Argyll St, just stand in the street & wait for a train to pass under you.  Other sections are not so "obvious".  

What about the tunnel at Galton Junction, Smethwick, between the Wolverhampton and Stourbridge lines? There's not much in terms of hill side on top of that one. I wonder if this was a cut and cover construction?

Andy

The section between Central & Argyll St Stations is directly under Argyll St, just stand in the street & wait for a train to pass under you.  Other sections are not so "obvious".  

Indeed - when Argyll Street Station was built they opened up the old tunnel and followed basically the same principles as had been used by the Caledonian Railway to build the new station.

Interesting photo here http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSE00630

If you have a few hours to spend I recommend this thread http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/about3419.html

Jim

It doesn't quite meet your brief, though the southern end of it has an interesting transition from viaduct to tunnel, but Snow Hill tunnel in London was built cut and cover before the Smithfield meat market was built above it. Apparently the state of some of the girder supported "lids" are now causing concern.

There are some good photos of the eastern chord that connected it with the widened lines to the east of Smithfield here

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2012/in-pictures-a-walk-on-the-widened-lines/   these should provide some good information for modelling such a line.

Just beyond that the main line route that boxes and coxes with the Met between St. Pancras/King's Cross and Moorgate is also a good example with all sorts of interesting light wells.

All over London you can find places where structures have been later built over a cutting extending the original bridges/tunnels, the BRB (and the railway companies before it!) seem to have been pretty hot on developments above the lines over their history.

Try Wimbledon and Richmond for starters for ten - on either of them it would be easy to not realise you've crossed over a railway line apart from the presence of the station!

One down this way would be the car park built over the end of Mutley Tunnel in Plymouth...

If you have a few hours to spend I recommend this thread http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/about3419.html

Jim

A few hours?? I think I would need several weeks to do that thread justice! And there's apparently a separate 'Railways' thread on the site, as well!

Jim, I've seen, in the past, at least one picture of the original cut-and-cover tunnel being excavated along Argyle Street. I've tried several likely sites, but not found any pictures like that. Do you know of any?

The car park for Lucas (?) just to the south of Spring Road Station, built in the '70's, now the only surviving part of the once huge works.

Come to think of it, Walsall Station now buried under a shopping precinct.

The exit from London Marylebone is cut and cover tunnels. Three tunnels were actually built by excavating part of Lords cricket ground and returfing afterwards. Only one tunnel was actually used as mainline, the two others as sidings/headshunts as the forward planning of 4 mainline expansion, never happened.

Mike Wiltshire

A few hours?? I think I would need several weeks to do that thread justice! And there's apparently a separate 'Railways' thread on the site, as well!

Jim, I've seen, in the past, at least one picture of the original cut-and-cover tunnel being excavated along Argyle Street. I've tried several likely sites, but not found any pictures like that. Do you know of any?

If you go to page 85 of that thread there is an old lithiograph of the construction work in Argyle Street

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd212/Fjordy/GC-LowLevel-Argule-Street-1_zps02a5849b.jpg

I am sure I have seen others though.  Will have a trawl.

Jim

Thanks again for all the replies, I guess the cut and cover construction method was more widespread (away from the London Underground) than I thought! Fascinating stuff. I spent a couple of hours last night looking through the railway-related threads on the Urban Glasgow forum mentioned earlier. There are certainly some marvellous images there.

If you go to page 85 of that thread there is an old lithiograph of the construction work in Argyle Street

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd212/Fjordy/GC-LowLevel-Argule-Street-1_zps02a5849b.jpg

I am sure I have seen others though.  Will have a trawl.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I had only managed to get to about page 35! Interesting picture - I can't work out where it is. It isn't one of those I've seen before.

• RMweb Premium

The exit from London Marylebone is cut and cover tunnels. Three tunnels were actually built by excavating part of Lords cricket ground and returfing afterwards. Only one tunnel was actually used as mainline, the two others as sidings/headshunts as the forward planning of 4 mainline expansion, never happened.

Mike Wiltshire

Indeed, the tunnels are under some of the training ground (the open grassed area to the north-east of the press centre). The reception building (the building adjacent to the North Gate which backs on to Wellington Road) is of particularly light construction - in contrast to the blocks of flats further along Wellington Road. I wonder how the foundations were built for the flats.

Archived