City Centre Cut and Cover

Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

I'd need to look at the book but I'm pretty certain most of the MML/ Thameslink approaches to St Pancras were built as cut and cover.

The tunnels in the section from Dock Junction to Blackfriars are largely cut and cover.

In the other direction out of St. Pancras northwards on the MML from Dock Junction there is very deep brick-sided cutting, passing under Agar Grove bridge until Camden Tunnels (not the same ones where the horses were!). From the north portal of Camden Tunnels (three twin-track tunnels) there is more deep brick-lined cutting with more road overbridges (Cavendish Road,  plus others) until Kentish Town Station. After the station there is Kentish Town Road overbridge, the tracks close from six to four lines then the cutting diminishes until Belsize Tunnel. So for modelling a busy multi-track line with cutting-and-bridge scenery, a Station, plus scenic breaks (Camden Tunnel and Belsize Tunnel) it is a good section of line to consider.

There are some pictures of Glasgow Central Low Level from street level during construction work while the line was closed in 1974

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/Glasgow_Central_Railway/index.php

The date of 1974 ilooks about right but to say it was during construction is well wide of the mark!

The pic of Argyle St LL is the derelict hole which existed North of Argyle St, between Hope St and Wellington St, after the line closed in 1964. After it closed, it could never have been expected to re-open so it had become a dumping ground for builders waste, seen here, in the expectation they'd need to fill it in for building at some point. Work on the Argyle line started in early 1977 when this site was cleared and construction began in earnest.

My cousin worked for Electrolux who had their regional service office on the third floor above the Waterloo Bar pictured here at the bottom of Wellington St so I had a birds eye view of progress when I visited her at work. I never tried it but I believe it was possible to walk right through the tunnels to Partick - Westbound and Bridgeton - Eastbound

The date of 1974 ilooks about right but to say it was during construction is well wide of the mark!

The pic of Argyle St LL is the derelict hole which existed North of Argyle St, between Hope St and Wellington St, after the line closed in 1964. After it closed, it could never have been expected to re-open so it had become a dumping ground for builders waste, seen here, in the expectation they'd need to fill it in for building at some point. Work on the Argyle line started in early 1977 when this site was cleared and construction began in earnest.

My cousin worked for Electrolux who had their regional service office on the third floor above the Waterloo Bar pictured here at the bottom of Wellington St so I had a birds eye view of progress when I visited her at work. I never tried it but I believe it was possible to walk right through the tunnels to Partick - Westbound and Bridgeton - Eastbound

The trackbed was intact throughout, indeed the track and signalling was left in place following the official closure in 1964, as at that time what became the Clyderail Report was already in the early stages of preparation and the route from Rutherglen through Glasgow Central was key to the proposals.  Sadly the infrastructure was heavily vandalised and the decision was taken to remove the track and signalling.  The key dates were as follows: End of regular passenger services 5th October 1964, Total closure to all traffic 26-May-1965, track and signals removed August 1965, as Rangers (or should that be Sevco) says work started on the route in 1977 and it reopened on 5th November 1979.

Jim

I was assuming there was some redevelopment going on on the plot at street level so had meant construction for that rather than re-opening the line

Archived