City Centre Cut and Cover

Pete 75C

Hi folks.

Aside from the London Underground, are there any examples of double track lines running "cut and cover" through city or town centres in the UK? I'm researching a future (fictional) project and I'm struggling to find any photographic evidence that I can use as inspiration. The problem is that, geographically, I don't know where to look! In my mind, I'm imagining looking down from a road bridge into a shallow brick or concrete-lined cutting with the track disappearing into short cut and cover tunnel sections as it makes its way through the town or city.

Any inspiration greatly appreciated!

Only two examples I can think of that come close are Arena Tunnel in Birmingham under the NIA (More of a cover than cut and cover though) and Cofton cutting near Longbridge which I believe was originally going to be cut and cover but then just became cut.

I'm sure the Channel Tunnel link used this somewhere but I'm not sure

I will keep musing on this .

Andy

Thanks guys. I know they exist! I remember Mickey posting some pictures from around Sheffield and if not cut and cover, the railway certainly ran in shallow cuttings through an urban landscape... I'll need to try and find that thread.

Edit: Found it... these are the pictures that first got me thinking...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84573-bridges-trains-and-a-boat-sheffield-today/?p=1415417

• RMweb Gold

Only two examples I can think of that come close are Arena Tunnel in Birmingham under the NIA (More of a cover than cut and cover though) and Cofton cutting near Longbridge which I believe was originally going to be cut and cover but then just became cut.

Andy

Cofton Cutting was the site of Cofton Tunnel, opened out in 1928 for the quadrupling from Longbridge to Barnt Green. My Grandfather worked as part of the signal gang on the job. See about half way down this page http://www.austinmemories.com/page113/page113.html

This is the official report on the roof collapse. http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_CoftonTunnel1928.pdf

The NIA was built on the site of Monumnet Lane Shed and tne Malt Siding and Coal Yard opposite.

Going across to the GWR line, the Great Western Arcade was built over the top of the cutting from Temple Row to Colmore Row on the southern approach to Snow Hill in 1874.

The Great Western Arcade in Birmingham is a pedestrian shopping parade, built on the roofed-over approach cutting leading south from Snow Hill.  North Western Arcade, opposite across Temple Row, is I suspect the same, passing the old Rackhams store (now House of Fraser).  These are also restricted rights of way, which I suspect has something to do with the arrangements of tenure associated with their railway heritage.

EDIT:  The Signal Engineer beat me to it!  We both like visiting Druckers' Vienna Patisserie, clearly!!!!

Thanks Signal Engineer for clearing up the Cofton one. I knew there was a tunnel involved somewhere.

If you are non to fussy on the time gap between cutting and covering then there is Tesco tunnel (or covered way as it's known) at Gerrards Cross and I am sure there are numerous other build overs.

As for true cut and cover I must admit I am struggling a bit.

Andy

• RMweb Gold
If you are non to fussy on the time gap between cutting and covering then there is Tesco tunnel (or covered way as it's known) at Gerrards Cross and I am sure there are numerous other build overs.

I was thinking about that one as soon as I saw the thread title.

For some reason, I suspect that a number of Chiltern Line commuters might also have been thinking about that one - I seem to recall that they might have had rather a long time to think about it at the time ... .

Obviously, it's possible that my memory might be playing tricks on me ... .

Huw.

The Piccadilly Line extension from Hounslow West to Hatton Cross was 'cut and cover'.  Yes, I know it's on the London Underground, and it is not in a city centre or town centre, and on it's route it only comes to the surface to cross the River Crane alongside the A30. Also, I don't think any of it has been built over, or is likely to either.   

Andy

There is a covered way, perhaps not quite a tunnel on CTRL1 between the M20 and Lenham; there may be others.

• RMweb Gold

gerrards cross "Tesco tunnel"  is also classed as a 'covered way', so the sign on the entrance says

i remember talking to the driver who took the train through the tunnel just as it collapsed, he said as he reached the end of the tunnel after departing gerrards cross he heard an almighty rumble behind him, poked his head out of the window to see the tunnel collapsed onto the track!

said he had nightmares for weeks afterwards

st johns wood tunnel on the way into marylebone is cut and cover, actually under lords cricket ground, also where the regents park? hotel is above the tunnel entrance that is situated on an extension to the existing tunnel

im pretty sure that one of the tunnels on the way into liverpool seaforth docks has an added section as when you go through the brickwork changes from traditional arch design to a slightly higher flat top for about 25m and back to an arch design for the rest of the tunnel, almost like the 2 tunnels have been joined up into one, its between balliol road and derby road, alhough it may be where the canal goes overhead

Would you class the approaches to Liverpool Lime Street as 'cut and cover' as I know its not just one long tunnel . Very similar situation was in place with the approach to the Central Station in the same city on the Cheshire Lines 

I'm pretty sure some of the tunnels in Glasgow are cut and cover.  There are several disused ones as well as the surviving lines through Central and Queen Street low level stations. 

A quick "Google" has unearthed some fantastic stuff from in and around Glasgow. How atmospheric are these...???

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hughspicer/1507864378/in/set-72157612077145252

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hughspicer/1507836410/in/set-72157612077145252

The line just north of Bolton Trinity Street station on the line to Blackburn is cut and cover. Above ground there is a road that follows its course (presumably to remove the problems that could be associated with buildings directly above the line). This was double track until the early 1990s IIRC.

Archived