London city centre model shop

Paudie30

as Ian said. Usually Signal Box in Rochester. Kent Garden Railways in Orpington is pretty good but a b*tch to get to unless you are driving. Outside of that its online and exhibitions. The Ian Allen shop isn't bad but as mentioned its just RTR.

KGR is pretty near St Mary Cray station (it might be a 5 minute walk, including crossing the main road), or you can get a 51 from Sidcup station (or indeed Orpington)! SignalBox is my other main port of call

• RMweb Premium

Wheels of Steel is a very useful shop with an owner who is very helpful. The same can be said about Janes Trains near Tooting station. Both do second hand items and Janes Trains also does new stuff. I have shopped at both and can recommend them.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that the site is getting developed. That probably nixes Modelzone in any part of central London though. As I understand it they had a pretty good deal with BT (the owners of that building) which was why they'd lasted there so long, back to the days of Beatties at least. They'd be unlikely to get anything as good anywhere else centrally. The shop in Westfield is somewhat smaller and probably has a much higher rent.

as a London dweller I can echo the comments above regarding Jane's Trains and Wheels of Steel being useful places to check out. Wheels of Steel i've never bought from, but the owner couldn't be more helpful and his stock is constantly changing. Prices are quite reasonable too. 

The Engine Shed in Leytonstone has a very helpful owner called Dave, but his stock seemed limited when I was there. He will do his utmost to help you find what you need however. 

Another fantastic option (but out in Zone 3) is Northfields Model Shop, about 100 metres from Northfields tube station on the Piccadilly Line. The owner is an ex school teacher who basically runs a model shop as a hobby. He alluded to the fact that he may not necessarily operate in a profitable way, but does it for the enjoyment. His shop seems small, but it is absolutely packed to the rafters with stock. There is probably only about a metre or two squared to stand in, the rest is all boxes of stock. Mainly OO, both new and 2nd hand. 

tbh my opinion is it's not really a favoured hobby here. space is at an absolute premium, so no space for model railways or for shops to supply enthusiasts. I've only lived here for 9 months or so and that again only because I started a university degree here. Otherwise I'd be back in God's Own County where I belong and the quality of model shop is far superior there. prices are much cheaper too, as rents aren't as high.  

• RMweb Premium

Central London ModelZone reopens in New Oxford Street on 3rd June:

In March, we announced the closure of our flagship store in Holborn, Central London. After 2 months of searching we have now found a brand new home just 300m west of the original store!

Find us at 52-56 New Oxford Street, opening Monday 3rd June at 9:30am. The first 30 customers through the door will receive a FREE Goody bag worth over £75 filled with ModelZone goodies.

Plus, don’t miss the special F1 appearance outside the store on the morning of the launch, and the official ribbon cutting at 12:30pm

• RMweb Premium

Wow. I didn't think they'd find somewhere else in Central London, let alone around the same area (admittedly not Oxford Street itself, but New Oxford Street nearby). I hope it works out for them there.

Archived