MOK Kits (7mm)

Mr Grumpy

I'm thinking of building one of the MOK GWR tank locos. I have checked out the web site and they look to be of very good quality. I have looked for a thread detailing a build, without success. Has anyone any experience of these kits to share?

Thanks

No personal experience but I do know someone who has built one of their kits and they described it as superb quality if a little fiddly in places. The resulting model was, to my less than knowledgeable eyes, stunning. Over on the Gauge 0 Guild forum they have a really good reputation.

I believe Steve Fay of this parish has some experience of MOK kits???

I'm thinking of building one of the MOK GWR tank locos. I have checked out the web site and they look to be of very good quality. I have looked for a thread detailing a build, without success. Has anyone any experience of these kits to share?

Thanks

Try an online Google (other search engines are available and often better) search with 'MOK KIT BUILD' rather than limiting yourself to RMweb. There is no shortage of threads on e.g. Western Thunder.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

I have built 3 of the 14xx tank kits in the past they are the best 14xx kits out there.... All the MOK kits are the same the instructions are superb and seem to just fall together. I don't believe there are any reviews online of the GWR tanks but there are several online builds if other MOK kits in particular the BR Standard 4mt tank in S7 and there's another on here featuring the LMS Class 4 tender kit. I'm in the middle of 2 BR Standard 4mt kits myself at the mo and have built a couple of the LMS 8f kits. I hope this helps I have no conception with MOK just a very satisfied customer.

Regards

Mark J

Apparently MOK stuff uses a tab system to locate parts, the bits locate positively with a twist of the tab, then solder and remove tab. It makes the build more straightforward. I've never seen any criticism at all.

I stand corrected I just found this its not a true out of the box build but it may help I think there are other parts to it...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/60/entry-352-mok-14xx-episode-2/

More parts can be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/60-28tens-workbench/

There's also this thread from the old version of the forum: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10495

Thanks for all of your replies.

I have looked at the articles suggested on other forums, and have decided to go with the MOK pannier tank.

It will have to wait a couple of months as I am finishing a couple of other projects, and at the same time building my experience with etched kits.

post-19951-0-77201700-1420574181.png

Don't you just love this hobby!!

I received the 14xx for Christmas, and am in the process of getting ready for the build. You will not be disappointed - it is a beautiful kit, the etchings, cast Brass details, and instructions are fantastic!

I will try and post pictures of my progress once I get started :good: 

Scadaboy  

I haven't built any but I do know they are top quality kits, possibly the best available. I'm currently helping ( badgering persuading ccouersing) Dave to do a GWR 15XX pannier tank kit and I'm down for a 9 F kit

I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Steve

Archived