Merchant Navy routes

souwest

Happy New Year to all,

I am looking into the routes along which the Merchant Navy class ran.

London termini to Dover and Folkestone both routes; London to Southampton Ocean Terminal and through Bournemouth to Weymouth, and Basingstoke to Exeter all come to mind.

Are there any other routes where they were regular performers?

Did route availability can in any way once they were rebuilt - I think this happened with the West Countries (heavier when rebuilt)?

Thanks

Souwest

I would have said that the Merchant Navy locomotives on the SED only worked boat trains, certainly I have no memory of them working anything else.

The boat train routes would have been from Victoria to Folkestone Junction and Dover Marine via Tonbridge and Ashford (BTR 1), via Maidstone East and Ashford (BTR 1A) and via Chatham (BTR 2). 

In the suburban area, scheduled routing was limited to via Herne Hill and via the Catford Loop, but diversions (usually Sundays only in those days) could take boat trains via Longhedge or Tulse Hill and Birkbeck or Oxted (until the Crowhurst Spur closed) or Redhill, via Nunhead and Grove Park or Sidcup or Bexleyheath, and also via Bat & Ball. I am not sure of the extent to which MNs were permitted over these routes, but it is possible that they were specially permitted over at least some of them when required.

Boat trains conveyed Registered Baggage (under Customs' seal) so they had to run throughout except in the direst emergency.

• RMweb Gold

Did route availability change in any way once they were rebuilt - I think this happened with the West Countries (heavier when rebuilt)?

Thanks

Souwest

Yes - the rebuilt light pacifics were not allowed over Meldon Viaduct.

Perhaps not "regular performers" but MNs were allowed "over the Alps" via Alton during the electrification work of 1966.

In Kent at least, 35015, the only MN rebuilt while at Stewarts Lane, ran the same routes after rebuilding as it and other original MNs had run before.

Archived