Controller advice / cold start from storage

D6319

Hello all,

After life getting in the way for far too many years, I've just unpacked my collection from storage where it'd been for over 10 years  :O I know it will be a long term project going forwards, but it seems that a lot of things have changed in the railway modelling world since I last had my fleet setup and running, like DCC being popular and an array of choice when it comes to obscure and rare stock. I'm a bit of a hydraulic nut so this all looks good to me  :sungum:

I have a Hornby HM4000 dual controller and it seems to power a test circuit OK, but so far I'm suffering about a 50% failure rate of my locos... is there a simpler or better controller I should be using instead now?

Most of my locos are from around 2000, a couple after (which are new, never used), a few much older, I just don't want to stress them. What's the best way to go about diagnosing why those that won't run, won't run? Coincidentally, all the non-starters seem to be Hornby.

Sorry for asking what's probably really simple questions, but it's been 15 years since I opened one up and had a good poke around inside.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

I am not an expert on these matters but I suspect the problem is less to do with your controller than the fact that the mechanisms in the locos have not been used for a long time.  If it were me, I would remove the bodies from the locos, inspect the mechanisms and very carefully apply a little, suitable oil to the moving parts.  It is likely that, whilst in storage, any grease on the cogs has hardened and may need to be replaced.  However, whatever you do, don't apply too much lubricant and make sure you use products that are plastic-friendly.

Harold.

What do you mean with "failure rate" of your locos? Do they stutter, do they start unwillingly, do they slow down after a while, or what?

In addition to what Harold wrote you should consider flow of current: inspect the parts where current has to change from one conductor to another. Dirt (invisible) may accumulate on your rails, may be on the treads, may interfere at the pickups. Also, check the collector in the motor.

This all must be cleaned, e.g. the rails with coffee stirrers dipped in alcohol or white spirit, the collector with a wooden toothpick…

Wish you success!

Armin

• RMweb Premium

Certain oils & greases, especially once used, seem, if left for a long time, to become quite waxy or sticky and therefore not so good at doing what they were intended for!

I would recommend a complete strip down and lubricant removal, a good clean up and re-assemble.

Oil with some fresh lubricant.

Keith

if the locos are Hornby tender drive locos connect the pick up pin on the front of the tender to one controller wire and connect the other wire to the tender chassis frame. If that works move the chassis wire to the non insulated wheels.  You will probablyl find the Tender runs from the controller but not when the loco is coupled up to the tender.   The Tender contact gets dirty, the link wire snaps and the loco axles get gunged up as the axles and bearings are such a poor fit, if you have this problem take the loco chassis baseplate off and clean the axles  by pushing the bearings inwards..  My experience is that Hornby tender drives are bad news as they seldom work without some kind of prod if left for a week or more.  The current range and indeed the old lX04 powered models from the 1950s etc run much better than the Tender drive era types. 

Thanks chaps, appreciate all your replies.

I went out to the local model shop at the weekend and picked up some model-friendly lubricating oil and opened up a couple of the troublesome locos. I did indeed find that the white gunk on the motors was very stodgy and almost solidified in places. I've used wooden tooth picks to try and tease out the worst and I've added tiny amounts of the new oil. Then I've gently run the loco up and down a short test track and over a short while the running did improve no end and for a couple at least, they now seem to be running normally. These are modern image stock, mostly diesels, so fortunately the motor connection to the rails is pretty straightforward and there are no external pistons or such. I will take a look at them again after a couple of days sitting and check that the oil isn't finding its way out.

I also noticed that a couple had quite dirty wheels, so I've been rubbing those with alcohol on a cotton bud which isn't entirely successful. What's the best strategy for removing stubborn dark stains from the wheels? I'm not keen on the idea of using a track rubber and risking getting all that debris in the mechanism.

I'm considering upgrading to DCC so I think I will need to go through them all one by one and attend to them in this fashion.

Archived