BR Blue vs Brown Pullman Coaches

Have seen some brown Pullman cars at the local hobby store but was wondering is there a difference between them and the BR Blue era Golden Arrow ones. Been considering getting them and in a different thread of mine buying the sticker sheets to put over the top of the livery to make them suit the dining cars I have and then modifying the interior to the Kitchen First seen here http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/pul/carina.htmland a few others depending on how many are there to make possibly 2 small sets. I wonder why preservation has chosen the brown over the blue but for my era blue ones would work but not many pics around of them in the BR livery i guess i could get brown ones and sticker them blue. Did Pullmans ever run with compartment corridor coaches in the rake or was it only opens

The Golden Arrow Pullmans are a different, and more modern, design to the Hornby ones with square toilet windows and Gresley bogies, so it's a little more work than just changing the livery.

I suspect you don't see many models of the blue/grey ones because most Pullmans were withdrawn in the brown livery, with only a handful getting blue/grey for a few more years service on one route in Kent. 

Iv got 2 of Hornbys R230 but will check tonight but if they are then there totally different so simply changing the livery wont work but I guess the chassis on the Hornby ones is wrong so could swap a body over to the correct chassis to make em correct by using the brown ones if I buy them

• RMweb Gold

The Golden Arrow Pullmans are a different, and more modern, design to the Hornby ones with square toilet windows and Gresley bogies, so it's a little more work than just changing the livery.

I suspect you don't see many models of the blue/grey ones because most Pullmans were withdrawn in the brown livery, with only a handful getting blue/grey for a few more years service on one route in Kent. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/13252443825/in/photolist-dvz52D-p7nW6b-mc5eQM-63TMU8-63Y21b-63TMv2-ccXLZJ-erAEP-7YR9pG-7Evcwh-4kwDFe-8hswCA-eToioK-fB6f77-prVAwX-oeCo9U

The only thing the SD Hornby Pullmans have in common with 1951 Golden Arrow coaches is the window spacings and slab sides. Everything from the chassis/window frames/coach ends to the roof is different. The older Hornby coaches are based on the K class Pullman and again, they're totally different.

The old Hornby blue/grey Golden Arrow coach is wrong for the Golden Arrow but they look smart still. It depends how accurate you want them. I think only Parlour S208S can be made easily from the later Hornby coaches as it had the old style windows and roof and original Pullman bogies but then it had the square lav windows and a pair of rectangular windows on the doors as it had a micro guard compartment.

Cheers

Andy

Iv been after for a while non Parlor cars to go with as you say the K class Pullmans from Hornbys golden arrow ones to make a small rake to run around the layout. Could I put the body of the parlor cars onto a correct chassis or is it impossible as its the wrong body for the brown chassis think from memory its this one if i could make ideally maybe a 4 or 5 car rake maybe X-X-Parlor-Parlor-X or

X-X-Parlor-XX

r230.JPG

That's a tricky one James. I guess all the old 'K' Hornby Pullmans had the same chassis. That blue/grey body is the wrong type for the newer Hornby chassis even if it would fit.

As a compromise I would make a 1 or 2 of those Golden Arrow Pullmans into Kitchens which would  mean blanking half of one of the end windows. Do a google/flikr search for Carina, Orion, Aries or look at the current Hornby Kitchen to see what I mean. Google "Pullman coupe 5" to get the full picture of the blue/grey train.

Don't forget that you can include a Lima/Bachmann blue GUV full brake in the train and a couple of mk1's .

Cheers

Andy

The only thing the SD Hornby Pullmans have in common with 1951 Golden Arrow coaches is the window spacings and slab sides. Everything from the chassis/window frames/coach ends to the roof is different. The older Hornby coaches are based on the K class Pullman and again, they're totally different.

Actually one of the three Hornby Dublo plastic Pullmans was based on the 'Golden Arrow' design, the Kitchen car 'Aries', the other two were the 1928 all-steel 'Queen of Scots' type (same as the '70s/'80s Hornby Pullmans, but unlike them not scale length). 'Aries' was actually a one-off with a bigger kitchen than those generally used in the 'Golden Arrow', but it has the correct style of ends, doors, toilet windows (square) and a trussed underframe, contrasting with the other two. It is slightly short to scale though.

That's a tricky one James. I guess all the old 'K' Hornby Pullmans had the same chassis. That blue/grey body is the wrong type for the newer Hornby chassis even if it would fit.

As a compromise I would make a 1 or 2 of those Golden Arrow Pullmans into Kitchens which would  mean blanking half of one of the end windows. Do a google/flikr search for Carina, Orion, Aries or look at the current Hornby Kitchen to see what I mean. Google "Pullman coupe 5" to get the full picture of the blue/grey train.

Don't forget that you can include a Lima/Bachmann blue GUV full brake in the train and a couple of mk1's .

Cheers

Andy

So what your saying is basically convert one to a kitchen and run any old BR blue Mk1s with it or is its specific Mk1s

Second opens, second corridor brake and a corridor second mk1' s you could use; all blue and grey but at the end of the day it's your choice as it's always going to be a compromise. The exact formation with numbers is on that Pullman Coupe 5 pdf but I don't know how to link or copy/paste on to here.

Hope that helps

Andy

If I was up for the challenge could i use Hursts MK 2 West Coast Pullman Coaches etched brass overlays on some correct MK2Ds and then get some BR blue era transfers to stick over the etched brass overlays to make myself a First Kitchen, Brake and Parlour

Archived