Railbus

mikesndbs

Can anyone confirm how the pick ups are arranged?

Mine was squeaking so I undid the little covers over each axle and cleaned the fluff that had built up and re greased the gears and bearings.

As I was disassembling the wheel sets both sprung up and as far as I can see the pickup wires press on the tread of the wheels and not the backs as the instructions say.

Is this right?

Also, has anyone tried to add a tail light to these?

I was wondering about fixing a small tail light with a tiny led in it, but am not sure how to connect, maybe a red/white LED behind one if the lenses?

Thanks

Having tried twice now to get Howes to reply to my question I wrote direct to Heljan and got back what I think is a ignorant reply.

Or have I lost any customer respect in the translation?

kimn@Heljan.dk

Please contact Heljan UK as instruction says 

Den 16/01/2015 kl. 16.44 skrev Mike <mike@mike.com>:

Dear Sir

I have one of these Heljan Rail busses and for a while it has been running smoothly.

But recently started to squeak and run poorly.

I removed the little covers over each wheel set and removed some fluff etc., re lubricated sparingly and placed back together.

I assume the pickups rub on the tread of the wheel and not the backs as per the instructions?

It ran better for a while but there is a whining noise which tells me the motor bearings may need lubrication as suggested in the instructions.

However, the instructions don’t seem to give any clues on how to get at the motor assembly.

If you have time and know the answer could you pass it on t me please?

Kind regards

Mike 

Hi Mike,

I have to say that the reply you've received is not exactly helpful.

Your email was well written and it can't be beyond the realms of customer service to give a detailed reply.  After all, Heljan designed and manufactured the railbus in the first place and should know.

Regards,

Paul

I would advise contacting Howes by telephone (01865 84800) and speak to Mike. He has has these things apart quite a lot to fit sound decoders into them so I would advise he is your best bet.  E-mails, as I have found out, can often get "lost in the system" and a quick phone call can often resolve issues quite quickly with a voice at the end of the line!

• RMweb Premium

I have had a occasion when I needed help with Heljan products and there after service is very poor if not non existent in fact you were lucky you got a reply.

The other occasion, Glasgow I think, a fellow member asked the advice of Heljan on the stand as they were exhibiting and they just dismissed the problem and told us it was our fault.

On both occasions we contacted Howes who could not be more helpful

So my belief is once that Heljan has sold the product they are not interested and nothing to do with translation.

Terry

Hi all, I did get another reply with a different email address attached.

heljanuk@yahoo.co.uk

Will see later if I hear anything.

Phone calls are all well and good unless you don't have an opportunity to call during opening hours, which is the case foe me 90% of the time.

If I don't hear I'll try and phone but one might expect some reply?

Can anyone confirm how the pick ups are arranged?

You could use the search function.

Pickups are brass (?) wires looped over the top of the tread, they were quite dirty on mine so were cleaned up before re-assembly. A spot of oil was put onto bearings and gears. Some of the grey paint flaked off the interior cab partition & will have to be touched up when I detail the interior (seats, crew/passengers etc). Re-assembly was a tad tricky but providing you are methodical, should not be a problem. I did manage to dislodge the odd underframe component, but they all went back ok except for the sandpipes - I'll add those in wire later.

On the track, an impressive model, very quiet, and complete with the ungainly waddle the prototype has over crossings etc. The heavy mechanism certainly helps with pickup, it didn't falter anywhere. Still has that WOW factor for me!

Stewart

Howes are looking into your request Mike, be patient.

Thanks, had a nice reply, seems they don't work all week and have been busy.

Got some instructions to follow and will report back here and to them as it seems I have an odd problem.

Cheers all

Mike

Archived