7mm Westdale Coach & DMU kits - still available?

Cantongoat

Could anyone advise if Westdale are still in business? It has been suggested to me that they are. I've got an address and telephone number in Marlow on an old kit box that looks like it could be twenty years old, but a quick web search throws up nothing. Any info gratefully received.

Dick Taylor will be selling his Westdale range of kits at the Bristol 7mm Exhibition on 25th January. For full details including a list of confirmed traders see:

http://www.bogg7mmexhibition.com/268486985

Rumour has it that Dick is taking a year off from his kit business from about April to do some modelling so this might be a good time to buy what you need!

Dave

Hi

As far as I am aware they still are in business, I had a list from them and bought the GUV kit about 6 months ago

Ian

Dick Taylor will be selling his Westdale range of kits at the Bristol 7mm Exhibition on 25th January. For full details including a list of confirmed traders see:

http://www.bogg7mmexhibition.com/268486985

Rumour has it that Dick is taking a year off from his kit business from about April to do some modelling so this might be a good time to buy what you need!

Dave

To the best of my knowledge Westdale do not have a website but they were at Telford this year and should be of the Bristol O show on Sunday 25th of this month.

Rod

+ 1 to all of these - as I had heard/know similar.

ATVB

CME

Despite the Heljan arrival only by this thread have I discovered Westdale do a BR GUV coach.

Does anyone have any info on how good / accurate/ detailed is the Westdale Kit

Are they still available and at what price point

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

I have built 5 Westdale GUV's and i like them. I think they are about £100 which is for a resin body, mdf floor, brass sole bar and whitemetal castings.

They make up to be a very nice vehicle, however they dont have bogies in the kit. These will need to be purchased. I have a couple with Wayoh bogies but the later two having Easybuild bogies which i prefer.

IMO i think they are one of the best on the market and very good value for money.

I will dig out some pics and post over the weekend.

Rob

Thanks for the replies Guys much appreciated

I do have a couple of unbuilt Coach kits, one JLTRT Mk1 BSK 2nd and a Kirk 61-6 Brake composite which have been gathering dust. I tend to concentrate on Locos

Rob I look forward to the seeing any image that you are able to upload

Regards

Bob

i also built a guv from westdale and it went together well and looks good, i used way bogies,  i also built a jlrt guv and found this built up nicely. one thing i found was that i had to sort the relative heights of the guvs when coupled together as there was a slight mismatch between the models when built.

spoons

Hello Spoons, I am interested in getting some GUVs but justifying £250 a pop for the Heljan one is stretching it a bit, out if the 2 kits JLTRT and Westdale which is the best value for money ? And which is the more detailed and superior kit ?

Best regards

Craig

Spoons

A colleague of mine also found when completed that the JLTRT GUV towered above the rest of his coaching stock and he then had to carry out some remedial action to put that right

Muddys Blues when taking into account the extra outlay for bogies its looking like the Westdale variant wins hands down for value as I'm sure the JLTRT sells around the £200 mark 

Looking at the images gratefully supplied by Rob above I'm particularly impressed with the end detail which looks neat and accurate.

I take it Rob that the Westdale GUV body comes as one piece resin casting that includes the roof and the roof ventilators are indeed separate WM castings

If it was a choice between buying and building a JLTRT GUV or the RTR Heljan well its a no contest I would settle for the Heljan coach

I can see I'm going to have make a decision  some time soon

Regards

Bob

Bob, the body is a one piece resin with handrails added which are lost wax. Also lost wax are the little door loops but grills etc are moulded into the body. All you have to do is mark out the roof and drill/glue the roof vents. Happy Days saves alot of time/effort and you get the results.

Rob.

All

I had a chat with Dick Taylor (proprietor of Westdale) today at the Bristol Show. He confirmed that he had originally intended to take the rest of the year off to do some modelling himself but two weeks ago learned that his wife has a terminal illness. He is unlikely to do any more shows for the foreseeable future and the response to letters and phone calls may not be what you or he might wish.

May I state the obvious and, if contacting Westdale, ask that RMwebbers exercise appropriate tact and thoughtfulness at what is for the Taylors, a very difficult time.

Dave

Yes it was difficult to find the words to say to Dick yesterday when he told me of the recent news he had just received.

The sleeper I wanted to order from him all of a sudden seemed unimportant. Terrible news.

But it was not only Dick who was facing bad news as others at the show  seemed to be suffering a similar set of circumstances.

This on top of news I had Friday of a good friend of 48 years young passing away from the Big C just added to the feeling of how fine the line is between life and death. Sorry for the morbid words but it really has hit home over the weekend.

• 3 months later...

Archived