Breakdown Crane R6689

JimHearne

Not my area of expertise but I think it's a bit of a re-hash of an old tooling. a bit of an approximation by Hornby a sort of generic recovery crane if you will. Up-to-date paint job in an attempt to make it more credible.

Another guide to authenticity is the lack of chatter on places like this prior to it's release. Usually anything new in the "Departmental" area, thats worth a serious look, is much anticipated before release.

But as the well held mantra goes. It's your layout so you can run what you like.........Ha Ha!

Cheers

Ah Yes, just found one looking very similar from Lima on Ebay.

I didn't recognize it as the normal Hornby one and thought it was something new.

That will teach me to ask here before buying....

I'll just have to hide it away on an old siding behind trees or something.

Many thanks,

Jim

It's the old Lima tooling. So it's likely to be based on a European prototype if anything.

Paul

Definitely Rule 1 rolling stock!

I got one when my local model shop was selling off Thomas stuff at very reasonable prices.  R9691, same colour, minus the BR totem and jib markings, but with yellow/black safety stripes at the nether ends and on the jib.  As it looks like a generic diesel crane, it'll do for "Modern Image" days.... 

Hornby don't seem to be doing the 75 ton "Cowan Sheldon" at the moment, which is a more recognisable example of a breakdown crane.

Archived