Where to buy a rivet punch? And use it correctly?

I've used everything from a slightly blunt nail (works but consistant hitting isn't easy) to a £100 GW Models punch. I prefer the latter but suggest that the best compromise is this:

https://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=eny_fly_default.tpl&product_id=4961&category_id=66&keyword=gravity&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9

it will get you going and do a good job for not much cash.

I've used everything from a slightly blunt nail (works but consistant hitting isn't easy) to a £100 GW Models punch. I prefer the latter but suggest that the best compromise is this:

https://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=eny_fly_default.tpl&product_id=4961&category_id=66&keyword=gravity&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9

it will get you going and do a good job for not much cash.

Have you used the Eileens emporium punch? Will it be suitable for 0 gauge?

Scott

Have you used the Eileens emporium punch? Will it be suitable for 0 gauge?

Scott

Wouldn't have recommended it if I hadn't. Top tool that lives on the corner of my modelling board.

In 7mm scale, the rivets might become a bit pointed to get them large enough in some spots (dropping the weight from higher up the tool makes bigger rivets) but it depends what you want. For a perfection, you'll need a tool such as the GW Models one with different punches and anvils (mine handles anything from 2-10mm scale) but it's a lot more money. I like nice tools and felt a bit flush when I bought mine and I'm glad I have it, but others would baulk at spending £100 for something to dimple metal.

Rivet tools.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'd imagine there's also the question of how often these tools are likely to be used.

Some people do a lot of modelmaking - to the point where it becomes a job - so tools like the GW Models one become worth having, even if the upfront cost is significant, because they allow people who are used to using them to do jobs like this quicker / better.

Others (like me) might never build enough models, which require "rivets", to even justify something like the Eileen's Emporium drop riveter.

If I need to do any "rivets" in the foreseeable future, I guess I might be using a dart and a cutting mat - effectively, a case of: "Are you ready? Ladies and gentlemen, let's build models!"

OK - I know - dodgy humour - but then I enjoyed last week's cultural interlude from the Lakeside Country Club (aka the BDO World Championship Darts) - in much the same way as I'm currently enjoying all the stuff from Alexandra Palace (aka the Masters Snooker).

(What do you mean there's also a Model Engineering Exhibition at Ally Pally from Friday until Sunday? Anyone could almost be forgiven for imagining that this website is supposed to have something to do with people building models. Perish the thought!)

Huw.

If you can stretch to the GW Models one, I'd heartily recommend it, it's a great tool. If you think you're never going to use it enough to justify the cost, then the Eileens one will do the job, but will require a bit more practice to get consistent results.

As noted above by Huw (although tongue in cheek), you can actually use a slightly blunted dart and a small hammer to form rivets! It's something I have done in the past, with some success, before I had a proper tool for the job. N'er a truer word spoken in jest :D

Up until this month I had been using the LRM gravity rivetter, which was a huge advance on the small nail and hammer that I had been using before that. However, Santa was good enough to bring me the GW models universal model and it is much better. The main advantage is that it doesn't distort the surrounding metal as much as the gravity device. This distortion can cause some problems particularly when punching a lot of rivets in a narrow section. It also gives a much crisper rivet.

GW Models doesn't have a web site but you can contact on 01903767231. I think the Universal is £95 +P&P. Not cheap but it should last forever and works well on plain metal or where you have half-etched rivets. No connection except as a very satisfied user of a range of his tools: he also does a great roller which you will probably need for forming boilers or cab roof profiles etc.

I'd fully endorse the recommendations for the GW item, and indeed their Rollers, Wheel pullers etc.

I seem to remember mine a few years ago was £85 plus P&P, so hardly surprising if its gone up a bit. Whilst this may seem a lot it does in my view represent excellent value for money bearing in mind how well it is made and the cost of other stuff in this day and age!

John.

The London Road Models "Gravity riveter" (also sold by Eileens Emporium) is intended for embossing rivets in etched sheet where the rivet location is half etched. The full thickness of the surrounding metal helps prevent "belling" or distortion. The work surface that you use also has an effect, I have found thick (1.0mm) plasticard works well.

For rivet production in full thickness sheet, a punch and anvil system, such as used on the GW rivet press is what is required. The anvil support the metal, so minimising distortion.

I have both the LRM and GW tools and usually use the GW. That's partly because it sits at the back of the bench and I usually forget where I have put the LRM one.

Archived