The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

End of an era..... Anne Kirkbride (Deirdre Barlow) dies

BlackRat

It is with great sadness that David Beckett has confirmed tonight that his beloved wife and Coronation Street actress Anne Kirkbride has passed away peacefully in a Manchester hospital after a short illness.

Anne played Diedre Barlow for many decades, and played it brilliantly.

RIP Anne.

• RMweb Gold

i was actually quite sad hearing about this on the radio this morning

although i'm not a fan of modern day corrie, i only tend to see it when my wife is watching it on catch up, 'deirdrie' was one of those characters that the nation took to heart and many have grown up with, not one of these 2 a penny, 6 month contract, off to record an album and then into the jungle soap stars you get today

remember the public outcry when she got sent to prison, her on screen rapport with william roache was brilliant, both very touching and at the same time some funny moments, wasn't their wedding the most watched soap moment at one time? similarly her relationship with her on screen mother, blanche (who also died a few years back) was brilliant, and they looked so similar too

be interesting to see how the scrip writers handle her passing, again i dont think the fans will accept the usual soap thing of 'she's moved to london', im sure most will want a proper send off for her!

poor ken, whats he going to do now.......

........must remember 'its not real!' as i keep telling my wife when shes explaining whats happening in soap land

Archived