Dresden Damphfest

Chameleon

A few of us are going over to Dortmund for Intermodellbau in April. I have noticed that Dresden Damphfest is on at the same time. Has anyone ever gone to this? Is it worth trailing across Germany for the weekend? I believe its celebrating the 01 Pacific's this year.

Haven't been recently, but I went twice during the 'nineties.  I expect the "basics" haven't changed that much - albeit with a different "theme".  This is how it was when I visited, but check the web for up to date information.

The event centres on an exhibition of locomotives gathered at the old steam depot.  Roughly speaking that consists of a long line of attractions including a couple of roundhouses.  Typically there are around 40-50 locos on display (guesstimate, I never counted them!), mainly locally-based steam, with visiting "guest" locos, as well as some diesels and electrics.  Usually there were a couple of locos in steam giving rides up and down the yard, as well as locos taking turns to come out of the larger roundhouse and be displayed on the turntable (again for a night photography programme).  The event is pretty popular and while most locos are laid out well for photography (though some are cramped), people wander around the exhibits and jostle for space by the turntables - so getting clear, people-free shots can sometimes be a challenge (Germans appear to expand to fill any available space).  The shed and yard overlook the main line, which sees a variety of trains passing.

Car parking is available at or near the site (get there early) or, alternatively, there is a shuttle service from the Hauptbahnhof (which is worth seeing in its own right), with vintage stock, top and tailed (mostly steam).  There are also excursions and inward workings from further afield in conjunction with the event - again with vintage traction (steam or electric).

Aside from the event itself, Dresden is the base for riding and exploring the Saxon narrow gauge lines to Radeburg and Freital-Hainsburg (and others not that far away) and also has a transport museum.  If it rocks your boat (sorry), there are steam ships on the Elbe - in stunning scenery: https://www.saechsische-dampfschiffahrt.de/en/#cruises/ and Dresden - much rebuilt after being razed by Allied bombing - is itself a very attractive city.

Is it worth trailling across Germany?  In my book, most certainly.

I went to both last year, and I'm going again this year - CNL 457 provides a good overnight link between Dortmund and Dresden, though I've chosen to pick it up in Duisburg at about 2140 rather than waiting in Dortmund until nearly midnight.  It travels via Cologne on its way from Oberhausen to Dortmund!

Hello Chameleon,

I think Dampflokfest in Dresden is worth travelling,

but if you want to stay near Dortmund,

I would propose to travel to Bochum to visit the Eisenbahnmuseum Bochum.

On 18 and 19.4 the Museumtage are taking place incl.steam train action.

http://www.eisenbahnmuseum-bochum.de/news/vorschau-2015/index.php

Kind regards

Soeren

It would be nice if the title could be spelled correctly!

Or even call it a treffen rather than a fest. I think that is what they call it these days.

Can't be too pedantic when it is the English describing a German event.

Well worth a visit. Night photo session is a must.

Also worth spending some time visiting the city and possibly a visit to the narrow gauge.

Last time I was there the tram system carried freight at night for the car factory if you want to see something different.

I hope it does not rain.

Twice been caught in the floods in recent years. Once in Meisen and once in Grimma as well as Dresden.

Bernard

There are (or were) also a couple of model shops in Dresden, the first is almost opposite the station entrance on the Beyrische Strasse (the non-town side) this is a dedicated model shop - and IIRC there is also a Conrads (like Maplin with some train stuff sometimes) in the same block.

There is also a Spiele Max store  http://www.spielemax.de/ in Prager Strasse less than 5 minutes from the HBf in the direction of the Frauenkirche (if you reach the first of the 3 Ibis hotels then you have gone too far) its a 'toys are us' type store but head down to the basement and there is a good size Model railway section.

Jon

The Dresden Steamfest is only a shadow if it self. No need to go over there since they placed the new reginal trains shop besides and diveded the whole steam shop area. If you have time, visit the steamfest at Chemnitz Hilbersdorf from september 25 to september 27 2015.

my 2 cents

Or even call it a treffen rather than a fest. I think that is what they call it these days.

Can't be too pedantic when it is the English describing a German event.

I hope it does not rain.

Twice been caught in the floods in recent years. Once in Meisen and once in Grimma as well as Dresden.

Bernard

Or even German towns!  It is, as Steinbeck wrote: of Meissen men.

Yes, the Elbe is rather prone to flooding, and I recall the lower platforms of Dresden Hauptbahnhof being submerged under several feet of water.  Likewise over the border at Usti nad Laben (same river, different name) the tracks (at high level) were clear, but the station entrances at street level were inundated.

There are (or were) also a couple of model shops in Dresden, the first is almost opposite the station entrance on the Beyrische Strasse (the non-town side) this is a dedicated model shop - and IIRC there is also a Conrads (like Maplin with some train stuff sometimes) in the same block.

There is also a Spiele Max store  http://www.spielemax.de/ in Prager Strasse less than 5 minutes from the HBf in the direction of the Frauenkirche (if you reach the first of the 3 Ibis hotels then you have gone too far) its a 'toys are us' type store but head down to the basement and there is a good size Model railway section.

Jon

The one oppposite the station has closed down now, it was Lokpavillion.  Spielemax aren't bad, sometimes they have some bargains too.  I like Grunkötter in Radebeul, it's on the main road up from the station.  I've had Richter (elriwa) near Radeberg recommended, but it's a couple of km from the nearest station.

• 1 month later...

Further to my initial question, unfortunately it just isn't going to be practical to trail all the way over to Dresden but it appears there are "Museum Days" at Bochum on 18-19 April (thanks Mallard driver for pointing this out). Any idea what these involve? Are there trains running and special exhibits? The english version of their website still has last years dates. There dosent seem to be any info at all about these Museum Days, other than an entry in the calendar. I notice it is Normally shut on Saturdays (?)

Further to my initial question, unfortunately it just isn't going to be practical to trail all the way over to Dresden but it appears there are "Museum Days" at Bochum on 18-19 April (thanks Mallard driver for pointing this out). Any idea what these involve? Are there trains running and special exhibits? The english version of their website still has last years dates. There dosent seem to be any info at all about these Museum Days, other than an entry in the calendar. I notice it is Normally shut on Saturdays (?)

I've not been on a special event day, but on lots of their normal operating days they have a shuttle to and from the DB station, and last time I went it was alternating between on of the 1950's red railbus sets and this

post-336-0-98197800-1424980454.jpg

post-336-0-70601000-1424980456.jpg

alas they were not using this one - but its the sort of thing they *might* use or demonstrate on a special day

post-336-0-95538800-1424980457.jpg

Jon

• 1 month later...

Just going back to the Model Shops at Dresden for a moment, there used to be one that sold secondhand (nothing else, just loads of it) just on the outskirts of Dresden. I know he got flooded out at one point, does anyone know if he's still going as I'd like to visit him in June when we go to see what TT stuff he has...

• RMweb Gold

I've not been on a special event day, but on lots of their normal operating days they have a shuttle to and from the DB station, and last time I went it was alternating between on of the 1950's red railbus sets and this

attachicon.gifDBsteelsleeper02.jpg

attachicon.gifDBsteelsleeper03.jpg

alas they were not using this one - but its the sort of thing they *might* use or demonstrate on a special day

attachicon.gifrailbusDB.jpg

Jon

Super tools.

A small diorama, with these beauties shuttling back and forth...?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm flying back from Dresden to London on that route on Sunday.

On the same plane then!

I can't find times for any of the steam specials yet - added to which I've only managed to book the Dersden-Decin Special on Saturday online - all the rest seem to now be 'buy on the train and hope there is still room'.

Last time I went to this event a few years ago I spent the entire weekend in not quite the right place to catch the steam action.

Any idea if the Zittau trip is intended to give enough time for a ride on the narrow gauge?

Thanks

Jon

I'll be on the Zittau trip.  I doubt very much that there'll be time for the NG, as the it was described as "a quick stop while the loco runs around".  The travel agent site selling the tickets says it's fully booked.  http://www.eisenbahn-romantik-reisen.de/Dresdner-Dampfloktreffen.html The best I can tell you for timings is that the Nossen run is due back into DD at 1300.

My guess for a good place to watch the action is the Budapester Straße bridge, you'll be able to see the departures from Hbf there, excepting the Decin train.  You'll see anything moving from Bw Altstadt to Hbf from there too.

Rich, I think the agents website actually says that online booking is no longer possible, but tickets are available on the train - at least I hope so otherwise I'm going to get thrown off a lot of trains this weekend! There is now a basic timing sheet on the German version of the museum site (not the English! ) Hopefully catch you on some of the trains.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

That was rather good fun!

We did the Zittau trip on the Friday afternoon with 01 1509 and 01 2118 (having caned in the Weisseritztal narrowgauge in the morning) and Saturday morning's trip to Nossen behind 35 1097, followed by an afternoon at Bw Dresden Alstadt museum.

Something of a farce with regard to stock on the Friday trip, with 2 coach 'Wilhelms' but no 'August'... guess which coach we were booked in!. Saturday was much more organised.

All part of a longer trip which also took in Intermodellbau Dortmund and a day on the Harz. When I've sorted through the phots, I'll link to the flickr folder.

Well we did two days at intermodellbau, excellent show which much of interest. Plenty of manufacturers and traders present. Decent amount of second hand too

Was v impressed with the tillig stand, they had a pretty production model of the Harz 2_10_2, just like the original, for Meter gauge, its bloody enormous. Its going to be a very nice model.

We also had a wonderful day at Bochum. The special from the HB was top n tailed by a class 212 diesel and a class 11 pacific (the one visiting from the Dutch museum) a little over half an hour later we arrived at the museum. Also in steam was a P8 4-6-0 on the short shuttle to Dahlhausen and a class 65 2-6-4 tank on cab rides. They swapped about at lunchtime so we got haulage from all three.

They also pulled locos out onto the turntable and made them dizzy, one after the other. Really, it was like a huge model railway layout. Throw in a few trade stands, beer n sausage and the rest of the museum exhibits and a beautiful sunny day, it was one of the best days I've had in a long long time.

Can't wait til I do it all again.

Almost two weeks ago my good friend Günther phoned and told me he had 2 tickets for the AKE Rheingold express from Berlin Ostbahnhof to Dresden Hbf for the Dampfloktreffen. Was I interested? Oh, yes!! So my entries for a couple of days in the planner were removed and more cash tipped into the pockets of Mr O'Leary and his airline. It was a fantastic day out. It was great to ride in first-class splendour in Rheingold corridor stock as you can see from the photo of me grinning from ear to ear, and the weather was brilliant. It was slightly disappointing that our loco was not the BR 103 but something rather more modern! The AKE staff were excellent and we ate in one of the two restaurant cars on the way back. The locos on show were splendid - the only fly in the ointment was the fact that we were unable to make the return trip to Decin which was double-headed at least on the return leg by a BR 01 Reko and BR 35. There were large crowds present enjoying the sunshine and the sight of big steam locos in action and all the other paraphernalia of the show - including plenty of vintage GDR road vehicles. Our transport back to Dresden Hbf was a 1980s Ikarus Z60 whose manual gearbox was causing the young driver from the Verkehrsbetriebe some stress!

For a lot more photos from the day including photos from the adjacent DB Regio works please look at my Flickr page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132018190@N08/

post-17587-0-79637200-1429968333_thumb.jpgpost-17587-0-70382400-1429968405_thumb.jpgpost-17587-0-34578700-1429968343_thumb.jpgpost-17587-0-48262800-1429968411_thumb.jpgpost-17587-0-77336600-1429968417_thumb.jpgpost-17587-0-61120000-1429968424_thumb.jpgpost-17587-0-99273600-1429968432_thumb.jpgpost-17587-0-98263500-1429968940_thumb.jpg

Archived