Glenfinnan - Modular Baseboard Construction

Dunmar

Hi,

Since parting company with 'Kinlochewe ' back in November 2014 I have been eager to start another project. For my next layout I intend to model Glenfinnan on the West Highland extension. Using my existing fleet of loco's and newly aquired CL 156's I will be modelling the station as it is now and prior to refurbishment. That will mean building 2 station buildings and 2 signal boxes - more of this later !

I shall be using modular baseboards supplied by Tim Horn Baseboards which are laser - cut into a circular design and which will be ideally suited for Glenfinnan. I intend to model the approach to the station from the Mallaig and Fort William direction - mius the viaduct ! A separate board will be attatched to the front edge to accommate the 2 coaches that represent the sleeping and restuarant facilities. ( see pics ). The colour pic of the signal box was taken by K. Cooke.

Bill.

post-3775-0-76354000-1421959505.jpg

post-3775-0-09880300-1421959607.jpg

post-3775-0-12925300-1421959647.jpg

post-3775-0-95522300-1421959664.jpg

post-3775-0-24515900-1421959691.jpg

Edited by Dunmar
  • Like 3

This is the track plan I have decided on - I hope you can understand how it will look ! the construction of the baseboards was straightforward enough but care still has to be taken even though they have ' notches ' to assist in lining them up. It reminded me of the MFI flat packs of the 70's - but much more engineered.

Bill.

Track Diagram.pdf

post-3775-0-55633900-1421960287.jpg

post-3775-0-56954000-1421960302.jpg

post-3775-0-25727100-1421960319.jpg

Edited by Dunmar
  • Like 1

Hello Bill

After seeing Kinlochewe and seeing how good that layout was I'm really looking forward to your next creation. This should be a good one with loads more Scottish Highland atmosphere. Good luck with the project I will be following closely.

All the best.

Cheers

Marcus

That looks superb as the whole layout will be on a lovely sweeping curve. I must say I like the base boards. They look like a very neat and sturdy job. I take it we won't be seeing any flying Ford Anglia's, triple decker buses, or worst still GWR locomotives painted red. LOL!

Last time I went up to Mallaig on a rail tour I'm not sure how we didn't plunge over the side of the viaduct at Glenfinnian. We were on an SRPS charter and it soon became apparent that we were in a coach full of Harry Potter fans who had done the tour purely to see the viaduct. How sad can you get it's almost as bad as liking trains HaHaHa.

Marcus

Thought I might have a break from building baseboards and start to lay the track bed. A layer of 1/8th cork was glued in those areas where the track would go and as there is no real ballast shoulder to speak of. Cork was layed between tracks and other flat areas. Once this was completed it would be painted grey so as to ensure good adhesion of any materials added to it.

Bill.

post-3775-0-97294300-1421967622.jpg

post-3775-0-58111500-1421967656.jpg

post-3775-0-75190500-1421967673.jpg

Edited by Dunmar
  • Like 4

The track plan was drawn out on paper templates then glued and pinned till set. The plan uses Peco Code 75 curved points throughout and C + L Finescale flexible track. To cut down the number of joins between boards I opted to to glue together 2 units using the wooden alignment dowels supplied with the boards and bolted them together. The remainder of boards will be joined using C + L alignment dowels and held together with the bolts supplied by Tim Horn. The design of the layout also called for the use of Tracksetta gauges to ensure smooth transition of the curves.

Bill.

post-3775-0-49170500-1421968837.jpg

• Like 5

Hi,

This is a view of the approach to the station from the Fort William end. The curvature of the track is sharper than in reality due to the restraints of the baseboard but still allows for a sweeping approach.

post-3775-0-54384400-1422002768.jpg

• Like 6

Morning Bill,

Glad to see the new project on here, looking good at the rate you are going you will be ready to show it in October :)   You might get dizzy going round in circles though.

see you tonight

Bruce

Hi Bill,

Just thought I'd drop by and say hello. I'm looking forward to seeing your latest project develop. It sounds exciting. There's something very special about trains in the West Highland landscape, I think. There's a nice sweep to the track layout too. I can't believe the progress you've made already. What era 156s have you bought?

Interesting to see you using those modular baseboards. Making flat baseboards has always been my Achilles' heel (one of them anyway!).

Cheers

Dave

Hi,

Ian - got to get something up and running as they keep telling me I'm too !!****!!!! noisy down at the club :no: !

Fender - I already had a couple of pics ready to post!

Dave - I have a Lima 156 in Regional livery which I detailed but will have to re - wheel and an unused Hornby model in NorthWest livery that will need a body change. With regards to the baseboards I decided to look to Tim Horn for a ' Lite wieght ' set of boards as this was going to be an issue and avoid a ' square circle ' if I did them myself.

Bill.

• Like 1

Thanks Marcus - I have certainly given myself a challenge this time ! Here is the track plan as promised !

Bill.

Interesting - a modern twist on a minimal  Ian Futers NB layout. Nice that you can run different periods

• Like 1