Diesel Trip Cocks

EddieB

Odd that the signals on the snow Hill bit were LT, and remained illuminated until 1972, long after the track had been lifted.

Concerned about ghost trains maybe :scratchhead:

Couln't resist that!!

Going for my coat

John

The current rule regarding non trip cock fitted locos on the amersham to harrow line is you need an LUL representive to travel up front with you (as there are obviously no guards anymore)

Ive only ever had to pass a signal at danger on the MET once, well ok twice in succession, and as there is no way of over riding it you have to make a PA announcement that "you will be passing a signal at danger the train will be coming to a stop due to the safety system, this is perfectly normal etc blah blah blah"

Once you pass it at danger you then have to travel at a reduced speed for the next 2 consecutive signals, however the day i did it the next signal needed to be passed at danger but it was on the end of moor park station where if you have to pass a signal the platform staff give you authority to do so!

On a 165/168 unit the tripcock is activated by the couple/uncouple button, when you push "couple" it raises the tripcock activation arm up on the 'non driven' unit otherwise when the lead unit passes a proceed signal that reverts back to danger the ground mounted tripcock arm would raise before the rear unit reached it and set it off

It was one thing to look out for when taking over a unit that had been uncoupled from the front of an inbound service at say marylebone that the tripcock light wasn't lit as if it was you wouldn't get brake release, you simply reset it by pushing the couple button in the (now) lead cab to the lower the arm back down, and not do as a driver once did and push 'uncouple', he then got brake release and departed as planned, just leaving the rear portion of his train behind in the process!!

Or the driver that reset the tripcock after a false activation between Cropredy and Banbury and left the rear portion of his train for the passengers and guard to enjoy the scenic delights of north Oxfordshire!

They are a bit of a pain out on the 'big raiway' as they can be set off by things such as high ballast. Anyone for a trip from Banbury to Saunderton at 0100 on a Sunday morning to remove a dead Muntjack lying hard up against the rail? 

• RMweb Gold

thats probably the one i was thinking about!

i got caught out near big t!ts crossing by high ballast, also when its snowy the likes of bentley heath crossing can catch you out, compacted snow and ice that has fallen from the arches of cars as they bounce over the rails can drop in just the wrong place to set the tripcock off

• RMweb Gold

As it happens tripcock fitted 66019 trundled past me earlier in bescot and i noticed that the tripcock has been removed now its outside 'met' leaf fall season but the mounting bracket is still fitted to the bogie ready for next season!

FDC3A4B9-48F3-475C-8436-DED6022F3582.jpg

Archived