Grain elevators and feed mills in urban places

GWR88

Evening all,

This evening I've decided to re-model my old layout that I haven't worked on in ages and I'd really like a feed mill on it as its main business. However, the layout is set in a relatively urban area (Albeit with all the buildings on the backscene) and in the modern era. My question is, would you find a feed mill in an urban town/city with a prairie style grain elevators or were they very remote?

Thank you very much in advance,

Lloyd

While researching my new layout I've come across what was a rail served elevator/mill in Newport KY, just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. It appears to be on an old L&N spur, with the track still in place in the roadway. It's quite a good area for mixed domestic and industrial use, and there are some old Interurban Car Barns up the street by the junction with 12th Street.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cincinnati,+OH,+USA/@39.081676,-84.498522,3a,75y,65.31h,94.92t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stf87ONLSuI5i9nXD5MAKgQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x884051b1de3821f9:0x69fb7e8be4c09317

Hope this helps.

Mick.

Thank you very much for the link Mick. It certainly seems like an interesting little complex and its given me a few ideas as to what I can do in the space I have. I'm amazed theres still a few shotgun houses around in the back alleys!

All the best,

Lloyd

Depends on what you mean as urban.

In the middle of Mississauga Kraft has a soft wheat milling operation that is surrounded by residential now, and while it currently does not receive rail traffic the tracks still exist as a contingency.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Kraft+Milling+Co/@43.5761,-79.702147,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xc2ec595f7f3dcb1f

More generally, almost anything is possible.  Until just over a year ago a pig slaughterhouse still operated in downtown Toronto, surrounded by high rise condos as the current condo building boom in Toronto marched westward.

New York?  Probably not.  There wouldn't be that much demand in New York for cattle feed.  But that doesn't mean that ther're aren't feed mills near any of the other 20,000 cities in the US.  Very few of them would resemble a wooden grain elevator.  They were pretty much obsolete 50 years ago.  Most feed mills would have metal bins for the feed and be in a smaller building.  There are several feed mills in Omaha and Fremont, NE, and Council Bluffs.

National By Products, Omaha, Ne (34th  & A St.)  :  Google maps puts it north of the freeway, but its actually South, actively rail served, UP main goes over the industry on a pony truss bridge like the Atlas model)

There are a couple near River Road and I-80 in Council Bluffs.  Plant is switched by a white EMD switcher.  Across the river, due W is the BNSF yard and just north of I80 is the Laurentzen Gardens with a UP DD40 and Big Boy on display overlooking the river.  Certainly a unique backdrop.

In Fremont, NE there is an ADM Soybean Processing plant at Main and E 1st St.  Still rail served, along the UP, former CNW, and the BNSF is about 2 blocks away.  has lots of 2-4 story brick buildings in the area (DPM/City Classics style).  To the east are several more grain elevators and a "small" coal fired power plant.  At Union and Clovery Sts in Inglewood (Fremont) is the Golden Sun Feeds plant, very model genic, was rail served, not currently active.  Also in the area are a bunch of "historic" passenger cars and cabooses (South St and K St) so that gives a prototype for having stainless Vista Dome cars sitting next to your feed mill.

Thank you Gerald. I was thinking along the lines of urban switching complexes like New York used to be with lots of factories and warehouses around.

Lloyd

I am assuming by New York factories and warehouses you are talking about the old multi-storey buildings and not the newer, sprawling single level structures.  In that case it is unlikely, as property prices among other issues forced those businesses out of cities like New York long ago, and the railways followed them out of town so you won't find the yards and tracks to service those sort of businesses in the "downtown" cities anymore.

Evening all,

This evening I've decided to re-model my old layout that I haven't worked on in ages and I'd really like a feed mill on it as its main business. However, the layout is set in a relatively urban area (Albeit with all the buildings on the backscene) and in the modern era. My question is, would you find a feed mill in an urban town/city with a prairie style grain elevators or were they very remote?

Lloyd

There's still one standing in Fitchburg, MA.  Doesn't get rail shipments, and the building has been converted to other purposes, but the silos and the assorted piping is still mostly there.  I'm considering making it the highlight of an N trak corner, except for the fact its on the outside of the curve...

post-7591-0-00135900-1422911977_thumb.jpg

And so you can get an idea of the neighborhood its in, here's the google maps view:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fitchburg,+MA/@42.5853058,-71.8095113,376m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e3e654c92294d1:0x71c57d04deaac42b

But, as others have said, this type of structure wouldn't have been found in the New York City area...

Thanks for the help everybody. When |I said New York, I meant the cramped switching districts tucked between the old multi-storey buildings. I'm most likely going to base the layout around Oregon/ Washington state way. In regard to the feed mills, I really like the one you've shown Mike due to the all of the various annex buildings I could scrathbuild.

All the best,

Lloyd

New York?  Probably not.  There wouldn't be that much demand in New York for cattle feed. 

Isn't that point the crux of the matter?? A Feed Mill provides animal feeds.... farm animals don't tend to be located in Big Cities... :scratchhead:

... and of course we must not confuse Grain Elevators with Feed Mills, either

Here's an area I'm familiar with (via Google Maps, at least!), on Progressive Rail's territory:- Randolph, MN....

Screenshot_zpse8daqk5u.png

Near the bottom centre of the screenshot, at the corner of Upper 291st St & Diver's Path, the big square building is the site of the old, traditional Grain Elevator - now long gone, not sure when it was torn down but I have seen photos of it in place in the early 1980's. Anyway it's now replaced by that building (right out of a Pikestuff Catalog!!) and a row of steel bins. Further up is a long building with an 'Elevator Tower' behind it; I assume this is a feed mill but I don't know if it's still rail served.

I also assume that for a small Town, "291st Street" is counting down all the way from Minneapolis itself!!!

• RMweb Gold

Have a look at Peoria, IL on google earth. There's a lot of grain traffic through the city, with a massive ADM plant and lots of bulk transshipment wharves alongside the Illinois River.

Much scope for urban grot and scenery. And Peoria is also served by a plethora of railroads. NS, CN, UP, BNSF, Iowa Interstate, plus a few shortlines... it's a fascinating place.

Evening all,

Lloyd

I used to work just such a place when I was still at my old terminal, albeit a wheat mill rather than a feed mill.  It's an ADM plant, the largest wheat mill in the southeast and been there since 1900 or so.  It doesn't actually look super urban in this screenshot but move around the map on the link and you'll see it's just on the edge of downtown ("uptown") Charlotte.

http://binged.it/1Db9hJO

xveUDs4.png

To make it even more interesting, the plant directly straddles a major Norfolk Southern mainline... while being adjacent to the CSX mainline and corresponding diamond! 

Thanks John and TotalLamer for the info. John, Peoria has the two railroads I model going through it and it also looks like a great place for inspiration. TotalLamer, maybe when I get more space in the future I'll have to model that plant!

All the best,

Lloyd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New York?  Probably not.  There wouldn't be that much demand in New York for cattle feed.

Not feed, but the Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal Railway once had a huge flour terminal located on one of its terminal properties (served by rail barge) which at one time supplied most of the borough with its baking flour.

Cheers NB

Archived