What Lima Loco did this Pancake Motor Come from?

Simon G

I recently acquired a second hand Lima Pancake motor in good condition for an experiment on my Class 117 which I am planning to convert to a class 121.  On inspection, the motor is slightly longer than a 117 motor - approx. 2-3mm longer on the wheelbase and approx 10mm longer overall.  The wheels appear to be the same diameter as the class 117. It is unusual (in my limited experience) in having pickups on all four wheels on the motor, and it does not have traction tyres.

Can anyone identify where it came from - I am pretty sure it isn't from a loco, but is probably from a different DMU.  It is on the left of the photo, with a class 117 motor on the right by way of comparison.

post-9029-0-43905100-1422788907_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon

It could be from the American outline 0-4-0 diesel shunter tht Lima did in various BR liveries. Or one of their many other locos or railcars they done for their European market.

I used them in the past for DMUs because of the 4 wheel pick up despite being a fraction too long in the wheel base.

GW railcar/parcels car maybe?

Stewart

I thought that the 121 was the Railcar and the same body as the parcels car, which means the motor will be the same as the 117.  I could be wrong though!

Hi Simon

It could be from the American outline 0-4-0 diesel shunter tht Lima did in various BR liveries. Or one of their many other locos or railcars they done for their European market.

I used them in the past for DMUs because of the 4 wheel pick up despite being a fraction too long in the wheel base.

This would make sense, as the 0-4-0 would need the pickups on all wheels for reliable electrical connections.

Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

Simon

I thought that the 121 was the Railcar and the same body as the parcels car, which means the motor will be the same as the 117.  I could be wrong though!

The parcels car/ GW railcar haven't got a BR classification.  The 121 is the BR Bubblecar.

Hi Simon

The same mechanism with slightly different mountings also featured in the HO class 33 they offered initially in the UK. (Along with such things as HO bogie tankers branded 'Milk' but still carrying a data plate for Benzin/Gasolina!) Runs noticeably more sweetly than the average Lima ringpiece. Had still to wind the quality down far enough for UK appeal.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived