Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

Sorry fellas, I had meant to warn you I was going to go for a change of title, since the original was a bit of a mouthful. It happened rather quicker than I had anticipated. Hope you find the thread again.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I often use the 'My Content' option accessed from your ID top right. This keeps me up to date on any thread I have which I have posted onto. It obviously followed the thread despite the name change and most it up the list highlighting there were new posts.. I find this easier than getting email alerts.

Always interesting Derek.

Don

I saw it this morning, and thought, that you'd started a new Layout until I saw the pages. TBH, I cant remember what the old title was, it must be an age thing I guess Derek.

All the best and like the New Title.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

I often use the 'My Content' option accessed from your ID top right. This keeps me up to date on any thread I have which I have posted onto. It obviously followed the thread despite the name change and most it up the list highlighting there were new posts.. I find this easier than getting email alerts.

I use 'My Content' as my 'RMWeb homepage' - my browser shortcut/favourite - and then make a point of posting at least once to any topic I'm interested in. That way I build up a personalised RMWeb, though I do have to go off for a trawl for new interesting topics now and again. Needless to say, this topic is there!

• Like 1

Now for something to gladden the heart of Mr Worsdell forever, and working into Kirkby Malham from the N.E.R. The daily goods from Leyburn runs into Skipton yard on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

On tuedays and Fridays it turns off the main line to Kirkby Malham.

The MR 8 ton van at the head of the incoming train was picked up from Hanlith (Halt) There is just the one siding here and can only be accessed in the Grassington to Kirkby Malham direction. This vehicle is due to run to Grassington, Kettlewell and Middleham so will return with the NE working after shunting the yard at Kirkby Malham.

The two empty MR mineral wagons are destined for Kirkby Limes transhipment siding, and so are shunted so that they are at the front of the train.

The various pics show the progress of arriving and departing from Kirkby Malham and shunting the mineral wagons into the stone siding.

My apologies that the third pic is out of sequence.

The whole operation took over an hour to perform, this was partly because I have to move to each lever to change points or signals and I am very slow. However, had I built a centralised panel for the controls, it would still have taken me quite some time, running at reasonably slow speed and pausing to allow coupling of vehicles and setting of brakes . I have gone through all this before and can do it because I am the only spectator. I have explained previously in this thread that the way the layout is controlled means I have to keep moving if I want to do any sort of operation, really in a vain attempt to keep my joints working. As it turned out, it does keep me moving but at the end of a session I am kn$$$$$$d

The N.E.R. class C used on this trip, has always been a most reliable engine, however, the driving wheels are starting to loosen on the axles , so I think a little servicing is required, will have to be replaced with my trusty old Kirtley.

Derek

Beautiful!

I wonder if you are slightly pushing your luck running it in green alongside MR locos with large tender/rank numbers (?!?), but I vastly prefer them green, so I for one am happy!

• RMweb Gold

Now for something to gladden the heart of Mr Worsdell forever, and working into Kirkby Malham from the N.E.R. The daily goods from Leyburn runs into Skipton yard on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

On tuedays and Fridays it turns off the main line to Kirkby Malham.

The MR 8 ton van at the head of the incoming train was picked up from Hanlith (Halt) There is just the one siding here and can only be accessed in the Grassington to Kirkby Malham direction. This vehicle is due to run to Grassington, Kettlewell and Middleham so will return with the NE working after shunting the yard at Kirkby Malham.

The two empty MR mineral wagons are destined for Kirkby Limes transhipment siding, and so are shunted so that they are at the front of the train.

The various pics show the progress of arriving and departing from Kirkby Malham and shunting the mineral wagons into the stone siding.

My apologies that the third pic is out of sequence.

The whole operation took over an hour to perform, this was partly because I have to move to each lever to change points or signals and I am very slow. However, had I built a centralised panel for the controls, it would still have taken me quite some time, running at reasonably slow speed and pausing to allow coupling of vehicles and setting of brakes . I have gone through all this before and can do it because I am the only spectator. I have explained previously in this thread that the way the layout is controlled means I have to keep moving if I want to do any sort of operation, really in a vain attempt to keep my joints working. As it turned out, it does keep me moving but at the end of a session I am kn$$$$$$d

The N.E.R. class C used on this trip, has always been a most reliable engine, however, the driving wheels are starting to loosen on the axles , so I think a little servicing is required, will have to be replaced with my trusty old Kirtley.

Derek

What a lovely little engine, such a nice livery too.

Beautiful!

I wonder if you are slightly pushing your luck running it in green alongside MR locos with large tender/rank numbers (?!?), but I vastly prefer them green, so I for one am happy!

Hello Edwardian. As far as I am aware, the NER painted its goods locos green until early in the 20th century. The order to repaint in lined black came out in about 1904 I think.

The Midland renumbered it’s loco stock in 1907, when large numerals started to be used.

So, it may have been possible for a NER loco in green, waiting for a repaint, to be seen next to a Midland engine with large numerals, perhaps.

If my dates are all to pot, and I am wrong, well, I won’t lose any sleep over it. Well not too much anyway.

Derek

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello Edwardian. As far as I am aware, the NER painted its goods locos green until early in the 20th century. The order to repaint in lined black came out in about 1904 I think.

The Midland renumbered it’s loco stock in 1907, when large numerals started to be used.

So, it may have been possible for a NER loco in green, waiting for a repaint, to be seen next to a Midland engine with large numerals, perhaps.

If my dates are all to pot, and I am wrong, well, I won’t lose any sleep over it. Well not too much anyway.

Derek

My 1001, No 1093 was photographed at Rosedale in green in 1908, it was withdrawn in 1909 so would never have been painted black. Obviously it wouldn't have met any of those naughty red engines up there!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful!

You'll have noticed, I'm sure, that all Derek's red engines (and black ones too) are wearing their Johnson faces - and his superb compound is in original condition too - pointing to a date reasonably soon after the livery change and the great renumbering. The large numbers came in before the renumbering although many engines were first renumbered using the old small brass numbers. According to Midland Style, the last new engine to have M R on the tender sides was Belpaire No. 859 in April 1905. We can suppose that Kirkby Malham's local sheds (Skipton, Hellifield, Manningham, Holbeck?) were among the first to be issued with the 18" transfers...

• Like 1

My 1001, No 1093 was photographed at Rosedale in green in 1908, it was withdrawn in 1909 so would never have been painted black. Obviously it wouldn't have met any of those naughty red engines up there!

Paul, you have more fun being naughty than being good. Ask me how I know.

Derek

• RMweb Gold

Hi Derek,

First day back looking at rmWeb in about two months I think, due to a variety of issues, but I had previously completely missed your thread and layout, but oh my!  As somebody who didn't see his first train until February 1980, I was 14 months old at the time, so am going off second hand accounts of the event(!) can I just say, that while I was born 70 odd years after the period your modelling, this just ticks every box and looks superb. I think in today's world we all seem to expect so much from layouts, such as DCC and sound, with ready-to-run models, but you have proven beyond all doubt that none of that is necessary.  A lovely period to model too - there was something about the railways in the up to the grouping and perhaps for 10 years afterwards, so much pride in the job and the appearance of, not just the trains, but the railway as a whole.  One wonders what those District Managers would have made of Network Rail and its 'green' lineside's today!

I am totally in awe at the quality of your scratch building, and can only dream of aspiring to such levels, but from one of the younger members ... my I've just realised I am 40 in December so perhaps not that young these days!!! ... thank you for sharing what is a wonderful thread, wonderful modelling, and I hope you continue to enjoy it for many years to come. 

Truely superb.

Rich

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your kind comments MarshLane, I am glad you get some pleasure out of Kirkby Malham.

I have said many times before, scratch building a steam loco is not that difficult, a good drawing and some photographs give the general layout of the engine. A modest tool box, a lot of enthusiasm, patience and determination, with a bit of skill will allow a surprising result.

My first efforts were dreadful but things did improve with time, although I will never reach the high standards of some of the modellers on RMW, I am quite happy with my efforts. The satisfaction of seeing ones creation trundle off down the track can never be bettered.

Derek

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Derek.

I don't suppose you have a usable drawing of a Kirtley 700 class 0-6-0 and tender you can let me have do you? You and a few others on here have inspired me to have a crack at scratch building one and I don't have anything other than a GA drawing which is hopeless to work off. If not can you point me at one I can get hold of.

Regards Lez.Z.

Hello Lezz, I have a Skinley drawing.of a 700 class, but it is indecipherable now, having been subjected to soldering fluid. But I will have a look for it tomorrow. I also have the book on these engines, I think from the Midland Railway Society. I will look for that in the morning and see what there is in the way of drawings.

I might add, despite all the things I have said about scratch building, the Kirtley is tricky due to the curved footplate over the wheels. If it is your first attempt, you may be better off with a Johnson 2F or something like it. A simpler design.

Will be in touch during the next couple of days.

Derek

• Like 1