Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

Thanks Derek glad you like her. She's sprayed with Phoenix Precision Paints Crimson Lake over Phoenix Precision Paints two part grey primer. How close that comes to the old Midland Crimson Lake I don't know, but as a representation of The South Farne Iron Company's red I'd maintain it's spot on. :yahoo:

Edited by Iain Popplewell
  • Like 2

Puts me in mind of the Furness Railway colours, designed to be indicative of hematite ore.

Well I'll be, two railways carrying iron ore at opposite sides of the country with the same coloured loco's. The ironstone beds of the South Farne's were the same as the Cleveland ore-field so perhaps if Lord Ravenbeck the owner of island and mines had followed the same premise South Farne loco's would have been coloured a rather drab dark green.  Thankfully they weren't, and it appears he went for the more appealing and aesthetic Crimson Lake. I wonder if he had the Furness in mind? We'll probably never know.

Edited by Iain Popplewell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you lezz01. Truth is, I can’t move very far or very fast. The arthritis has really caused problems this year and interfered with my railway modelling. But as long as I can sit down to do my work I’m OK. Having said that, I am very stiff when the time comes to get up and tend to stagger around on my walking sticks.

Derek

Or Fiery Jack.

For those of a rather younger age, FJ was a remedy for anything to do with sports injuries. My dad used to keep a tin of the stuff, and if I came home from school football with any knocks, he would reach for his tin. It is quite amazing how I suddenly recovered and insisted I was OK

Derek

• Like 1

Thank you lezz01. Truth is, I can’t move very far or very fast. The arthritis has really caused problems this year and interfered with my railway modelling. But as long as I can sit down to do my work I’m OK. Having said that, I am very stiff when the time comes to get up and tend to stagger around on my walking sticks.

Derek

Hi Derek,  Glad to read you are up and about again. No doubt keeping busy with the layout keeps the pain off your mind. The damp oop north probably hasn't helped your troubles. You made a nice job of your original MR Compound.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You will notice how scruffy the boards are. They have been used for a few layouts and really are passed their 'sell by' date, but being a fully fledged Yorkshireman, I cannot bear to throw anything away.Derek

Alternatively, in these days of being more environmentally aware of waste, you are ahead of the game when it comes down to recycling.

Besides, they will be covered up with scenery and track beds, so who will know?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, that would be OK by me Kevin. We have family staying at the present but should be back to normal early January.

I have been away for the Christmas period, staying at my youngest sons place. I was able to do a bit of work on his rather nice 0 gauge layout. Wish I lived nearer to give a bit more help.

Derek

• Like 1

Just something a bit different from me.  A few years ago I tried some video of Canal Road, and include three of them,  I hope they work.  They were shot on my old digital camera so they will not measure up to some of the vids we see on this site.

They are a poor lot really, but one is of my newly built Johnson Compound in the simplified Deeley livery.  Starting off in 1901 as 2631, it was renumbered to 1000 in 1907, and still may be seen, although in a vastly different form than the Johnson production. This loco is a bit too big for Kirkby Malham regular runs, but does come out on rare occasions.  The carriages are built from Trevor Charlton parts.  They are etched zinc and are classed as an aid to scratch building.  All you get are the sides, ends and clerestory sides, where appropriate.  The rest, you have to source for yourself.  They are fairly heavy but run sweetly.

These parts were produced for a number of pre group railways during the 1960's and 70's when model kits for coaching stock was pretty limited.

Trevor Charlton, himself, died a few years ago, so thanks Trevor.

Finally, as 2017 draws to a close and stands at the stops, we have a Deeley 'flatiron' just completed it's journey to Kirkby Malham.

So, it just remains for me to wish all RMWebbers, a very Happy New Year, and an enjoyable 2018.

Derek

MOV02403.MPG

post-6110-0-21690700-1514751289_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Apart from being in colour, those have quite the feel of film from the Edwardian era! - especially the Compound with the express.

Trevor Charlton lived two doors from us when I was growing up but I never had the courage to ask him about his zinc sides. He was a keen cyclist and jazz man too.

• 3 weeks later...