Parkend in Forest of Dean (N Gauge)

ParkeNd

This is one of the hot button threads for me!  Only been to the DFR a few times but enough to recognise excellent modelling.  Also, pictures of the 'real railway' keep me up to date with what's going on.

Brian

With no disrespect to New Railway Modellers (I am registered there too) I would suggest a couple of reasons for the disparity of views/posts of your two Threads:-

1st, sheer numbers. Here there are over 2 million posts, from 27,599 members, as opposed to nearly 35,000 posts from nearly 7,000 members there. Here is rather bigger and it is very easy to miss a great deal of good stuff.

2nd, the clue is in the Forum name. Again no disrespect at all as we all have to start somewhere, but I suspect new modellers are going to ask a lot more questions, such as the first response on page 1 of your N.R.M. thread, asking how you did the grass. I suspect that most/all of us on this thread knew how you did the grass, so didn't need to ask.

Clearly your thread there has been very instructive & informative - that's fantastic, & I will enjoy working my way through it myself over the coming holidays. I just wish you wouldn't keep comparing the two, & view this Thread as some kind of 'failure'.

I just think it might be playing to a slightly different audience.

Hi F-UnitMad. Thanks for your comments and advice. At the time of joining RMWeb I was searching for the right vehicle for me at whatever stage of modeling development I might now be at. The other forum is very low traffic and more View than Post, and at some stage I must no longer be "New". But it is very friendly and has no vices. RMWeb has been very successful for me with real train pictures of DFR which didn't really appeal on the other forum - but I have found RMWeb doesn't really go much on 2mm or N gauge. I also post in the Photography section of RMWeb which I find rewarding in comparison with two photography forums, one of which proved to be a clique, and one had the moderator from hell. So I am happiest with Photography and the DFR thread on RMWeb, but find the general lack of volume of N gauge enthusiasm makes it not the best organ for my layout stuff. On the other forum I may no longer fit the profile of "New" nor qualify as an experienced sage to answer questions - but there is a solid group of N gauge converts and newly restarted N gaugers who form a strong core of friends who cooperate well and interact with the OO fans who regularly post on our threads. I was looking for one forum that does all and find I need two.

If I tried to categorise myself it would probably be as a photographer who likes trains as well - so the modelling will always be a basis for photographs too. So I am happy in the way that the two forums cover what I "need" and have learned by experience that just one on its own is not optimum.

You should try tinplate sometime!  It is usually well catered for in brand name sites but here in OO land there is little interest except for those who find diversity in scales interesting.  However, RM also allows me the opportunity to catch up on prototype railways which is an asset living so far away.

Brian.

Archived