Parkend in Forest of Dean (N Gauge)

ParkeNd

Hi ParkeNd,Excellent thread, layout and prototype choice. I was going to mention about the ground floor of the Railway Cottages being buried when the railway turned up, but I see you've already mentioned it... I guess you've read the Parkend Village history book too!I've built up quite a lot of railway notes for my own model of the Marsh Sidings, let me know if you need anything at all. Likewise, if you have any photographs or information I'd love to see them. Some real oddities have turned up in BR days - Matisa Track Machines, Mk.1 Inspectors Saloons, occasional 12T vans on Newspaper traffic and even the odd class 31.Cheers,Steve

Hi Steve. Marsh Wharf. The very best group of photos I have found are the 12 photos on pages 70 to 73 inclusive of Rails Through the Forest published by the DFR Museum Trust. £18 from Norchard for 205 pages of pure gold. The Marsh Wharf Branch section shows the structure of the wharf, the track layout, beam crane, wagon loads including timber etc etc. Locos featured are 57xx, Class 14, Class 22, Class 25, and Class 37.

My layout has a front fiddle yard and my original intention was to have a seperate fiddle yard for the trains to come up from the wharf. But I thought why not build the wharf? So I have done this even though I can fit in just one siding each side. It has the right shape, stone walls and the stone steps at the blunted point, Mann-Abell tipper trucks with aggregate loads, and a timber lorry unloading from the sawmill. Plus workers.

I have copious photos of my layout wharf and plenty of the current area including the remains of the track bed.

What news of your model?

Some real oddities have turned up in BR days - Matisa Track Machines, Mk.1 Inspectors Saloons, occasional 12T vans on Newspaper traffic and even the odd class 31.

The modern DFR has also hosted Track Machines. Sure it was about 1999 a new tamper of some sort was trialed on the DFR. It was related in the old Forest Venturer magazine.

Although most RMWeb members are are OO fans it still might be worth mentioning that Part 2 of the 3000 word article plus photos on the construction of this layout has just been published in the current NGS Journal Issue 2/15. Part 1 was in Issue 1/15 at end Jan. Just a mention in passing.

Evening ParkeNd,

Hi Steve. Marsh Wharf. The very best group of photos I have found are the 12 photos on pages 70 to 73 inclusive of Rails Through the Forest published by the DFR Museum Trust.

Superb book! Mostly unpublished, and well worth checking out, are Bill Potter's photographs that held by the Kidderminster Railway Museum and Stewart Blencowe's collection. They're all very atmospheric of the time and place. Have you seen try B&R DVD in the Forest? That's got some excellent footage on.

What news of your model?

I'm quietly plodding away in the 2mm area with it - most recently I've been focused on getting the tipper lorry working. There's a few bits on my workbench thread here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/36645-pixies-workbench-parkends-stead/?p=1843231. Hopefully this year should see it coming together a bit more.

Cheers,

Steve

The photo backscene in that last shot is very effective!! Nice one!!

.... and oh that the real Parkend was that busy with trains! :sungum:

I have often worried that the layout is too crowded. When I visit Parkend it is an event if you see more than about twelve people, two cars, and one train. But they are are always in different places. So my view is that to avoid a layout devoid of life one has to consider that all the little scenes are happening at different times.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got my copy of the Oct. Railway Modeller today - just for your article :yes: & a cracker of an article it is, too!! Well done!

My lad wants to buy your layout now ;)

Thanks very much for your kind comments. I was very pleased with the way RM wove my article around the pictures - Craig Tiley did a great job.

A young lad on another forum asked me if he could buy a Trackmat of it - maybe a good idea. In the meantime if I was to fall off my perch tomorrow my wife is under instructions to donate it to the DFR Museum who have asked for it. Not in my current plans but who can tell.

So far I have been about right concerning the possible alienation effect of the layout being published in a major magazine - just 4 comments on two forums over one week.

Anyway I am rebuilding the three buildings I scratch built first - to a higher standard with etched windows and more detail, starting with Railway Cottages in their original stone finish without the white rendering. I plan to publish just one more photo with the new Railway Cottages in place - then no further posts on this thread.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking of your layout (and DFR photos) earlier today as I happened to be driving up from Lydney to Parkend (and beyond) just before lunch.

Just reminded me of how well you have captured the scene, excellent modelling.

So far I have been about right concerning the possible alienation effect of the layout being published in a major magazine - just 4 comments on two forums over one week.

I don't think it's an "alienation effect", or why you feel that 4 comments in a week is somehow a failure?

It's the very nature of threads about layouts - especially threads started about layouts that are more-or-less complete at the start of the thread, rather than starting with bare boards. Eventually there's only so much can be said or pictured about a complete layout, but that doesn't mean the thread has lost significance or shouldn't be bothered with any more.

For example I've been watching an excellent 2mm layout, set in 1920's suburban London. It's been so long since an update I can't quite recall the name (EDIT: "Frankland") but it's an awesome piece of modelling & the thread was a pleasure to read. A layout thread of my own was dormant for a few years; so much so that I'd deleted some of the pictures from the Photobucket hosting site. Lo & behold, a few months ago a couple of new RMweb Members found it & revived it with some comments. As the layout still exists I had to update it with some new pictures. Now it's gone dormant again, but I don't think "stuff it I shan't bother again". Threads & layouts stick in the mind, & can be revived at any time, by posts such as Arthur's, above.

Sorry if I come over a bit blunt, but please don't give up on your thread just because of a lack of posts.

Thanks Arthur and F-UnitMad. The other thread about the DFR itself seems to have a subject content that is more of interest to this forum - real trains - so I shall continue with that one. N gauge seems to have an almost zero following on here despite the massive membership and daily traffic. I think N gauge train sales are about 20% of all model sales but interest here looks to be 99% OO and bigger gauges. By contrast the other forum I contribute to is very interested in the layout but has virtually no interest in real trains - so it's a case of horses for courses. So real DFR on here from now on and model DFR on the other place.

I know of Frankland with its modelled joints of meat in shop windows even - well beyond me at the moment - by Southernboy.

At the moment I am about 50% through rebuilding (really building anew) the goods shed with open doors and a modelled interior - the station building and the very old shop by the signal box come next. I might try the occasional new model shot on "Somewhere in the Forest of Dean" against comparable prototype shots every now and again.

Good points by both of you there. Yes, 2mm doesn't have the following in numbers and, as F-Unitmad has said, layout building threads often seem to attract more interest.

Coachmans (Larry Goddard) various builds, and Gordon's Eastwood Town threads have continuous updates/following largely because they follow the build process. In Coachmanns case, once the build is finished he starts again and Gordon has a continuous stream of reappraisal and rebuild.

What is always popular here is a few stage by stage photos of the build process be that rolling stock, buildings or the layout in general.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed this thread so hopefully the occasional update with new stuff will appear.

• RMweb Gold

I think this is one of the best portrayals of Parkend that I've seen, no matter what the scale, so it would be very sad if you stopped posting on here. I was just looking at the photos showing a stone train weaving it's way off the Marsh branch (above), really good. The buildings are also excellent, especially the tall stone Forestry School, which is so distinctive to Parkend. I wasn't even aware of the article coming out in the magazine, as I don't buy model railway magazines that often.

Thanks Arthur and Captain Kernow. I will maintain just the one thread on here (real trains on DFR with the occasional comparative new model shot) and model trains on t'other place. I need some better weather to get some new DFR shots.

I think this is one of the best portrayals of Parkend that I've seen, no matter what the scale, so it would be very sad if you stopped posting on here. I was just looking at the photos showing a stone train weaving it's way off the Marsh branch (above), really good. The buildings are also excellent, especially the tall stone Forestry School, which is so distinctive to Parkend. I wasn't even aware of the article coming out in the magazine, as I don't buy model railway magazines that often.

Sorry you missed the magazine article. About two weeks afterwards I couldn't resist posting this - in a big headed moment. Just a random corner of the layout of course.  :boast:

2015-10-07-13.09.15%20ZS%20DMap_zpsxs7hj

Archived