Some interesting connectors for layout wiring?.

The cons are: You cannot lay out the “bus” wires first before connecting droppers (because there are no through wires) compared to “suitcase”?

Best, Pete.

Could you not lay the bus wire first and connect short spurs (same size wires) as required using the 'suitcase' connectors ... and then connect the spurs to ZIF connectors and use the remaining 'slots' for droppers? ... or am I missing something... like a few brain cells!! .... AND RFS's post No. 16!!!!!!!

Edited to add the last sentence!

I'd already decided on wire at 14GA for my DCC (and DC lighting) bus and 18GA for the bus to rail/lighting droppers.

Separately, but aligned to the actual topic, can I ask if your use of 'GA' with regard to wire size is common nomenclature in your part of the world? Just that I've not come across that terminology before, whereas I see and deal with 'AWG' (literally) every day. I assume the two are equivalent? Useful to know in case it crops up again.

Could you not lay the bus wire first and connect short spurs (same size wires) as required using the 'suitcase' connectors ... and then connect the spurs to ZIF connectors and use the remaining 'slots' for droppers? ... or am I missing something... like a few brain cells!! .... AND RFS's post No. 16!!!!!!!

Edited to add the last sentence!

Well, presumably if you have the right size suitcase connectors for  the bus and the dropper you would not need any more connectors....

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/EMDCI/Home/Products/ProductCatalog/~/3M-Scotchlok-Electrical-Run-and-Tap-Connectors?N=5430181+3294245698&rt=rud#variantView

Go down the pages for specs of “run” (bus) and “tap” (dropper) sizes.

Best, Pete.

What it means is a wire having ten strands, each of 0.1mm diameter, covered with PVC insulation.

Furthermore, this means it is only rated for a current of 0.5A, so may suffer the adverse effects of overheating if you draw too much current through it for an extended length of time, most likely under fault conditions.

Better alternatives would be 7/0.2 (1.4A rated) or 16/0.2 (3A rated).

It will be fine for short droppers. The voltage drop will be minimal.

Any fault condition will be handled by the booster cut out within a few milliseconds. if it's not, then there are more serious problems with the wiring.

Andrew

Cheers Pete

I guess a benefit from combining both types of connector is that you can cut down on the number suitcase types along the bus wire (= fewer chances of cutting strands), as you can run 4 droppers (at least) off the ZIF connectors.  I'm just thinking 'out load' as I'm about to start 'wiring up' without the 'aid' of a soldering iron.

Separately, but aligned to the actual topic, can I ask if your use of 'GA' with regard to wire size is common nomenclature in your part of the world? Just that I've not come across that terminology before, whereas I see and deal with 'AWG' (literally) every day. I assume the two are equivalent? Useful to know in case it crops up again.

Yes, GA (or gauge) is a common way of referring to AWG in North America.

Adrian

Archived