Hills and Meadows - N-gauge

Maurits71

Evening

Some good progress to report on the platforms, was quite a fiddle because of the width of the cleaner wagons but looks I have managed to keep the gaps as close as possible without touching the wagons.

20161226_185001049_iOS.jpg

For those who are familiar with Horsely Fields know that on horsely fields there are 2 different types of platforms closed and open, with courtesy of BenA. I am copying this idea shameless on Hills and Meadows ;)

20161226_184945968_iOS.jpg

And a helicopter view.

20161226_184931082_iOS.jpg

The other project I am working on are the signals on the mainline. I am only using signals from CRSignals purely because I believe that the look soo much better then other makes and Paul is such a lovely gentleman who seems to be available for any questions any time of the day.

20161226_184757708_iOS.jpg

with the signals working i have started adding little details like the AWS ramps and relay boxes.

20161226_184454792_iOS.jpg.

This this is how it looks like, please ignore the last shot as there was almost a derailment down to some ballast which wasn't removed properly.

default.jpg
  • Like 5

Happy New year for everybody.

have had a very good session today down to the fact that I canged my old laptop for a new one which seems to cope better with the communication.

during the session a nice surprise, 5 at the same time in the station, have stopped everything to add number 6 for a nice line up

IMG_1375.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Maurits,

Thanks for posting the video - great to watch.

Just one question - and bearing in mind I am no expert on signalling - but is it prototypical for the four-aspect signal to change from single yellow to double yellow so quickly?

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

the change in the four aspect is something to do with the software. Normally the change is Green - Red - Double yellow - Green. On my layout signals are set like points as the computer controls them so they have got an accessory address. to set double yellow you need to set one address which is single yellow and the second address to go to double yellow. You have to pop in soon, will explain a bit more in detail then :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben

the change in the four aspect is something to do with the software. Normally the change is Green - Red - Double yellow - Green. On my layout signals are set like points as the computer controls them so they have got an accessory address. to set double yellow you need to set one address which is single yellow and the second address to go to double yellow. You have to pop in soon, will explain a bit more in detail then :)

Hi Maurits,

I thought a 4-aspect signal went red-yellow-double yellow-green. The idea of the double yellow aspect is to allow more frequent trains. I don't think double amber would ever appear without a single amber too. Partly as a fail safe - if one amber bulb fails the driver is still ready for a red aspect at the next signal.

However I concede that I am not an expert in signalling.

Cheers

Ben A.

• 1 month later...

Me neither Ben, but will go to St-Neots soon, will spend some time near the ECML , just to see what the 4 aspects are doing.

Layout wise

Quite busy lately with the other part of the viaduct, painting, weathering and so on. Nice job in between is always little pieces of scenery, in this case between the back ground and the main line. Not finished yet still need to add some fencing and some more bushes but the looks is already great.

20170209_192219228_iOS.jpg

If , but if I am really in the mood Saterday I will get the airbrush out and do something about the main line, way to clean and new now

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Sunday evening.

You might, or you might not know but I was struggling a bit with the platforms, especially because I wanted an overhang whioch wasn't as simple as I thought but after a couple of weeks trying, starting again, again and again I think I am satisfied now.

20170226_191348638_iOS.jpg

All lamp posts are working, will be 100 of them in total so another 94 to go. :D :D

20170226_191317497_iOS.jpg

Will spend the next couple of days finishing this platform before ballasting this bit, also need to do some extra painting etc but slowly getting there.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ben's right on the signals - assuming no trains being routed differently in front they would always go red - yellow - double yellow - green. Over simplification, but a red signal means a train in the next block, yellow means two blocks ahead, double yellow 3 blocks ahead.

Ben's right on the signals - assuming no trains being routed differently in front they would always go red - yellow - double yellow - green. Over simplification, but a red signal means a train in the next block, yellow means two blocks ahead, double yellow 3 blocks ahead.

Thanks, this is going to be a challange but going to try this

• 2 weeks later...
Happy Friday all,

planned jobs for the weekend, tomorrow St-Neots show, Sunday is planned to connect the up and down level together, wasn't originally planned but as one of the uplines isn't able to handle traffic quickly enough, this will be a big help. only 4 points and 1 metre of track ;)

20170310_195122674_iOS.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Happy Easter.

apologies a lack of updates, haven't done much scenery wise mainly testing and testing to improve the performance which is getting better and better now. I am now at a point that I can safely have around 18 trains running simultaneously and that the computer is still able to send and receive all necessary commands.

One of the things I am doing at the moment is transferring all the signals from control via loconet to control via my laptop using the OC32 technologie ( http://www.dcctrainautomation.co.uk/dinamo-oc32dcc.html ) and this weekend was planned for the last 5 signals in the main line, so wires and wires, only for the 3 I have done yesterday a good 30 metres ??? ( who said dcc is only 2 wires )

20170415_173152365_iOS.jpg

which results in 3 working ones ( the left one isn't properly done yet  ;)), 

20170415_204259504_iOS.jpg

so 2 more to go on the upline. before we can do some scenery here. which is planned some point today once the missus let me.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
Goodmorning all.

Have made quite some progress over the last couple of days, the main 6 lines of the station are ballasted and the 3 signals at the north side are in place now

20170530_193306475_iOS.jpg

Have been doing all the smaller bits now aws ramps, the orange piping and relais boxes

20170531_204437479_iOS.jpg

I didn't like the look of the relais cabinets next to the track down to the hill behind it so decided to scratch build a small concrete/ brick embankment for the relasi cabinets.

20170531_204428197_iOS.jpg

next job on the list is some weed and other green stuff, a small gravel footpath from the embankment to the platforms but first it's going to be a test day today :)

best regards, Maurits

Edited by Maurits71
  • Like 4

didn't want to go into the train room as it's one big mess down to all the scenery work, so decided to stay in my office and to spend a bit of work on one of the factories I am building.

f6c4cd64-3dda-49fc-a002-92e622f65c9d.jpg

really likes the look if I am allowed to say it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
warning with thanks to Photobucket who has recently changed their policy all my images are no longer visible. I have moved them to Flickr but I am not sure if I can restore all image links, so if please visit my flickr photo book for all images

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

Why am I not seeing some of these photos and have an external link to photobucket telling me to update my account to allow 3rd party hosting? Does anyone know how I do this coz I'm missing a lot of content.

Regards Lez.Z.

• 5 weeks later...
Apologies for the lack of updates recently. I must admit that because of the hassle with Photobucket I wasn't in the mood at all to do any updates as it really annoys me to see the images with the 3rd party warning. But as Photobucket isn't going to listen to me anyway I can do 2 things and 1 of them is accept it, correct it sooner or later and crack on.

so here we are, a little change in plan to add some shunting possibilities to the branch line., 2 new points, 4 new detection sections. will install tonight the switch motors and the magnets. Will make a new video once I have everything to work

36183389651_86d32d8a35_b.jpg

Edited by Maurits71
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
afternoon all

the 2 branche lines are all connected and working, this includes 2 trains which are now shunting complete computer controlled. I have attached a small video, ( disclaimer the process of breaking and picking up on the correct spot isn't finished yet )

1.jpg?

Other project I have started is the scenery around the station area. I have done is with temporarily mock ups to get the right feel. part will be retaining walls the other part some stone walls as you can find around the ecml.

36254986280_8593e23bc4_b.jpg

36482084462_dd209274f4_b.jpg

36604757796_131e51d21e_b.jpg

And for those who are also on Facebook, Hills and Meadows has got his own page since a couple of days, please like us.

• Like 2